Who Can Take Communion?

“And now as we turn to the communion table, I would like to invite all those who love Jesus and call Him ‘Lord’ to join with us in partaking of the elements. If you’re visiting with us today and you don’t know Jesus, feel free to spend this time in quiet reflection. Communion is something that Christians do to remember Jesus’ death.”

Aaargh! How I wish I could take those words back! Could I not see the staggering ungraciousness of my comments? Was I blind to the unholy line I was drawing between Us (welcome to take communion) and Them (not welcome)? Jesus died for all people, but not all were being invited to remember his death. How did I get so mixed up?

Like many pastors I was confused about the meaning of Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 11:26-32. I understood that the Corinthians had been making fools of themselves by gorging and getting drunk at communion, so I thought that Paul wrote to warn them of the dire consequences of acting irreverently:

“He that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself…” (1 Cor 11:29 KJV)

I now understand that Paul was saying something completely different and wholly liberating about proclaiming the Lord’s death. He wasn’t condemning the Corinthians for their poor behavior. He was trying to free them from the condemnation of their ignorance and unbelief. This distinction is obvious when you think about it. I mean, how could Paul preach condemnation to the Corinthian Christians in one letter while preaching no condemnation to the Roman Christians in another?

Somehow Paul’s words in 1 Corinthians 11 have been twisted into a worthiness test for communion. “Examine yourself before you eat the bread and drink of the cup.” Okay, but how do we do that? How do I know if I’m worthy or about to eat and drink damnation to myself? Some denominations helpfully mandate minimum standards of worthiness. They say you must be a believer or a baptized believer or a welcomed member of the church or what-have-you. But the lines are blurry. The standards differ even within denominations as many individual churches have the freedom to set their own worthiness benchmarks.

Perhaps what we need is some kind of Christian caste system. India’s caste system is pretty good at separating the rabble from the rest. Maybe we can learn from them. At the bottom would be sinners because someone who rejects Jesus is obviously not worthy. That’s basically what I was saying in my church. By telling visitors (they might be sinners! who let them in here?) that they were “free” not to partake of communion I was sending the message, “this is not for you – you’re not good enough for Jesus.” I was judging them as unworthy of the body and blood. Of course I didn’t think of it in such terms. I thought I was honoring Jesus and protecting sinners from judgment. Slowly it began to dawn on me that there was something odd about denying communion to sinners. Afterall, didn’t Jesus die for sinners?

Religion draws lines between us and them, but grace tears down dividing walls (Eph 2:14). Nowhere in the Bible will you find any hint of a suggestion that we should exclude people from communion. This is a death-dealing tradition of man. When I said communion was for us but not for them, I was acting religiously and in a manner wholly opposed to the Spirit of grace. Happily, I repented. I changed my tune and began saying, “all are welcome.” I then watched amazed as the Holy Spirit revealed the love and grace of God to those who didn’t know Him.

Who can partake of communion?

Communion is when we remember Jesus’ death on the cross. So who’s it for? Obviously it’s for all those He died for. It’s for everyone. But I want to single out two groups who can especially benefit from communion:

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” ~ Jesus (Mk 2:17)

1. The sick

Sickness and death are part of sin’s curse (Ge 2:17). In Deuteronomy 28:15-68 there is a long list of curses that result from disobedience to God’s commands. These include “severe and lingering illnesses” along with “every kind of sickness not recorded in the Book of Law” (v.59-60). There is no sickness that is not part of the curse. Even modern-day sicknesses (e.g., anorexia, HIV, DVT) are covered.

During His time on earth Jesus healed every sick person who came to Him (Mt 12:15, Mk 6:56). Not one person went away unhealed. Jesus did this to demonstrate His complete and irresistible power over sin and all its effects. So before you eat and drink, examine yourself to see if there are things in your life – sickness, disease, afflictions (Is 53:4, AMP) – that Jesus carried in His body and paid for in His blood. If you are sick, proclaim His death and triumphant victory over sin and death! Identify your illness as a defeated enemy and lift up the Name of Him who is above every sickness. He was wounded that you might be healed, and cursed that you might be blessed (Gal 3:13, 1 Pe 2:24). Take your Jesus’ Medicine and be well!

2. Sinners

In the old covenant, sinners and unclean people were kept far away lest they contaminate the righteous. If there had been communion back then, they would not have got it! But Jesus was a friend of sinners. He went into their houses and broke bread with them. He met with thieves, adulterers and murderers and “contaminated” them with His righteousness. Sinners were radically changed by His awesome grace.

By saying “communion is only for the worthy” we have turned a new covenant blessing into an old covenant curse and denied grace to those who need it most. If communion is only for the deserving, who can qualify? Outside of Christ there are no worthy people! If you think you are worthy because of your religious performance, then you disqualify yourself, for Jesus did not come to call the self-righteous.

Here’s the good news: Jesus is still a friend of sinners! He died for us while we were sinners and He reconciled us to God while we were His enemies (Rm 5:8,10). People who hesitate over communion – both saints and sinners – do so because they are distracted by their imperfections. They draw back like Old Testament lepers because they believe that they are unclean. But you have been redeemed by the most precious commodity in the universe – the infinitely precious blood of Jesus (1 Pe 1:19). If God loves you enough to die for you, then in His eyes you must be really something special. And you are!

Communion is not a time for self-examination but Jesus-examination! The only thing that will empower you to overcome sin is the grace of God and it’s not stored in your navel. Look to Jesus! His blood bought your forgiveness and His death triumphed over all your sin. See yourself crucified with Him (Ga 2:20). Reckon yourself dead to sin and alive to Christ (Rm 6:11). He is our perfect high priest, a Lamb without blemish or defect. Don’t draw back but come boldly to the throne of grace for Christ Himself qualifies you.

The next time someone says “communion is only for the worthy,” don’t be distracted by your sin – it’s been done away with by the blood of Jesus and God remembers it no more (He 8:12). Instead, remind yourself that Christ died for the unworthy. Tell yourself, “He died for me, and because of Him I am now the very righteousness of God, holy and blameless (Eph 1:4). Glory to God and thank you Jesus!”

___
Related posts:
- 1 Corinthians 11:26-32
- Can unbelievers take communion?
- Taking communion in an unworthy manner

Comments

1. I think communion is taken to remember Jesus finished work. The bread remind us of why we are healed and can expect healing. The blood remind us of the new covenant where the blessing and acceptance and forgiveness hinges on Jesus work..

So all Christians should take communion, strictly speaking, communion is not meant for unbelievers or sinners as it don’t mean a thing to them but for us, it is the reason why we are saved, delivered and healed.

• The church I attended felt the same way. BUt I think this is ridiculous. At what point does a person become saved? When he believes in Christ Jesus. That is a moment or process that happens inside that person’s heart and mind, whether or not he publicly announce it to the church. Who are we to tell – that we are “saved, delivered and healed” but the other person is not. Many church goers do not feel the reality of Christ, some fell away… many are trying to come to God. By making this artificial segregation – one group welcomed to partake, another told to refrain, we are just being legalistic and self-righteous.

• thesouldoctor says:

So your wrote this article people who don’t know Christ can eat matzoh and drink grape juice all they want. they do not know what they are doing. This is symbolic of our union with Christ eating his flesh and drinking his blood spiritually. This is also the marriage supper of the Lamb a precursor for his bride who has made herself ready. Why should people who refuse the Son of God and his work on the cross be allowed to partake of the Lord’s supper when THEY DON’T CARE!

• would you also condemn the jewish people for partaking of the matzah and cup each passover…? because they obviously dont know the true meaning of what they are doing either… what is the difference between an unsaved jew or an unsaved gentile eating matzah and drinking grape juice?

• Tom Howard says:

Amen Redtide, its for those who have a memory (in the first place) to be having a remembrance from. Sounds odd I know, but really, how can sinners (unbelievers) have anything to do with communion. It brings me to ‘remembering’ Philip and the eunuch wanting to be baptized. Acts 8:37, “And Philip said, If you believe with all thine heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.” Why did Philip say that to him? Because, like communion, you have to qualify. Let the sinner repent and believe first, then he or she can do communion, “as often as you do this”1 Cor. 11:26.
      Another thing I did not agree with is how he dealt with the ‘unworthy’ part. He never really said what it is or that its important. Just left it behind. Strange.
      Beware of false teachers.

2. love you man for this article. thankyou!!!

3. In uni I was occasionally invited by a Lutheran pastor’s wife to sing in the church choir she directed. She and her husband had no problem with my participation in communion, but some choir members took for granted that because I didn’t regularly attend their church, I wouldn’t. So I sat, robed and alone, while the rest of the choir filed out to partake first so the congregation could enjoy our musical selection as they received “..the body of Christ…the body of Christ…”

4. sooooo legit!

5. a sinner says:

Jesus died for all of us because we are sinners, unworthy, no one is righteous except He. Jesus did the ultimate sacrifice because of His ultimate love and grace. He taught us to remember of what he has done to remind us not to sin anymore but instead to show love, compassion, grace, kindness, faithfulness, self-control and obedience.Because Jesus is Lord, let us be obedient, ask for forgiveness and repent to our sin that not to sin again to Him to be worthy in His very presence in partaking in communion. Do not abuse the grace of God for we must remember there is judgement to come. Hell is real. God bless us all.

6. Hey “sinner”, guess what. You’re a saint! :)
    Great article Paul! Full of God’s grace :D

7. Roger Muller says:

Can non-christians take the communion too? My friend said the communion are only for christians because Jesus first break the bread and drink the cup with his apostle, furthermore he said if it’s for the non christian too, Jesus would already done this communion on the sermon on the mount.

• Yes, absolutely! Religion, such as practiced under the old covenant, divides. But grace, such as revealed in Jesus, unites. Jesus died for every one, not just Christians.

• Jesus in a manner celebrated communion with the masses when he took the 5 loaves and two fish and distributed them among the crowd. Look at the same words described in this action – being the very same pattern that is used in all communion verses
      He took it – he blesses it – he broke it – he gave it. Powerful eh?

• Tom Howard says:

Yes, Paul and PM , but the difference is, Jesus called the bread He broke before the twelve disciples, “His Body”. No such description with the 5 loaves. As a matter of fact, Paul was rebuking the Corinthian believers about that very thing, “Dont you have house’s to eat in?” It was not a meal to physically live by, but a meal to Spiritually live by.
        Sure, Jesus died for everyone, but only those that “believe on Him are Christians. So there is not only a qualification to be a communion participant, but also a warning!

8. I have been reading over this scripture and am still having difficulty in seeing the different view. I do understand and agree/believe anyone can participate in communion, I am good with that, but my trouble is in the context of what paul is talking about. He was in the previous verses scolding them for getting drunk and gorging themselves and told them to do that at home. Then he explains what communion is about, and then says if you do this in an unworthy manner, you bring judgement on yourself. Wouldn’t the judge yourself then be to just check yourself in that you are taking communion remembering the finished work of the cross, and not eating it because your hungry? Obviously our old way of thinking is wrong, we cannot “cleanse” ourselves before taking communion, that is silly. But Paul was scolding them in the previous verses about how they were taking communion in a “wrong” manner. If this is a wrong interpretation, please help me see it.

• Hi Scott, I think your interpretation would be spot on except it cannot accommodate verse 30. What would happen if they failed to examine themselves? Paul says they would get sick and die. Either the grace preacher has suddenly forgotten which covenant he’s under or he’s saying something else. I’ve had a few people write in and say the context was the scolding. But Paul was not one to badger the saints. He needs just two verses to address their poor behavior and then he moves on. Paul’s MO is always to remind us of (a) who we are in Christ and (b) what Christ has accomplished on the cross. This is the way to get people to change their behavior – preach grace.

9. Al W. Benton says:

Thank you for a great article. You have made clear your understanding to which I agree. Sometimes we are often bashful about asking questions about various facets of Christianity, although we should not be. It helps folks like me when we can read the opinions and views of others to help establish our position. As a Christian I have often heard that you should not partake in the Lord’s Supper if you are not “right with God”. I had trouble with that position and am now even more confident in my belief that all who desire to, should take communion. I particularly like your reference to Eph. 1:4 and the comment ” Communion is not a time of self-examination, but of Jesus examination.”
    Jesus died for all, each and everyone of us.

• Tom Howard says:

Yes, He did die for all. But He did not say, who so ever ‘takes communion’ shall be saved, did He? He said who so ever ‘believes on’ Him! The unbeliever has to believe first, then take communion. How or why would the unbeliever be remembering something they never received a memory from from in the first place. Nothing hard here.

10. It is called communion for a reason. Like intimate sex is called what it is. Let me ask: Intimate sex is communion with a spouse, right? The trinity communes with each other. Those that know Jesus is the bride of Jesus. How would you maried people feel if the next door neighbor comes into your house and sleeps with your spouse? The Spirit communes with us. And the bread and wine is a manifestation of that communion. yeah you would hurt that other intuder if you are faced to them. That is how it is. Shall I say don’t be ignorant?
    Those in the know understand sex is between man and woman who have made a commitment, most of the time under God’s authority!
    Appropriate intimate communion with one another is inside that marriage. No one else outside that marriage are invited. Yes, Church communion has been reveled, to be considered, by God, to be intimate. why invite the world to it?

• Sheesh, what a picture. Guess I’m not one of those “in the know.” Guess Jesus wasn’t either since He had communion with that reprobate Judas. Good thing we have you to point out our ignorance SJ.

• the angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
      TASTE and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him (psalm 34:7-8)

• Sj, by your definition, then it is better to have a church only for Christians and another for the “world’s sinners who are in the process of becoming a Christians.” Don’t forget, Jesus was in the upper room with his disciples – there was no “outsiders”. Therefore, why should communion be taken in the church when there are sinners present? In your analogy, sex then should only happen in the bedroom of a husband and a wife, no other should be in the bedroom. So when the holier Christians are taking their communion, the world’s sinners should not be in the church at all. Therefore, sinners should not even be in the church – where communion is being offered.

11. Hi Paul, I wanted to offer communion to fellows in our retirement communal room but was met with disbelief! No-one wanted to offer it, and one friend said strictly I coulnd’t in case someone came in who was an unbeliever and tried to take it even though they were not saved. I said if someone who was not saved came in and wanted to take communion I believed they would be saved! It did not go ahead. People in this world already feel alienated and judged so for the “church” to confirm it to them is a travesty. Love says welcome them, but religion says make them acceptable first.

• How sad. There is something wrong when those who follow the “friend of sinners” are unfriendly to sinners.

• Exactly! On one hand, you tell the world how much Jesus loves and welcomes them. Another moment, you tell them refrain – if you are not a Christian. So when does one become a Christian – need to prove to Church first before one can partake? Even very young kids in church are offered the communion – by virtue of being kids of Christian parents but what do they know about Jesus’s sacrifice for them?

12. Hi Paul, I don’t agree with some of what you have posted. But thank you for the manner in which you have posted and defended your position. Your desire to be true to Scripture and your burden for the unsaved is clear. Also, when I read your post, I did not feel condemned for for holding a different position. Scripture also encourages us to be patient with each other as we build each other up. I think disunity among believers does so much harm!

In this matter as with any other, I suppose the fundamental thing is an understanding of being saved by Grace alone through Christ alone (although for some that might also be another debate) – participating in Communion does not save us from God’s wrath.

That said, I also think that it should then be the leader’s/pastor’s/(etc’s) responsibility to at least highlight to participants that when they partake, they are “claiming” to recognise the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. If you then reject Christ as Lord and Savior, this would for sure leave you without excuse as you stand before Him in judgment of your sins. So we can use Communion as an opportunity to remember, to examine our hearts (yes, I agree that we come as we are because even our best deeds are like filthy rags – hence our great joy and encouragement in remembrance, and the turning of our eyes to be fixed on Jesus, to His glory), and to encourage unbelievers to find Salvation while it is to be found.

I’m sure you would read between the lines and know that I believe that Communion is for believers only… :)

13. Just because someone is a sinner, doesn’t mean that they are not a believer, in order for you to accept that your are a sinner, you have to have someone (GOD) to sin against, if they don’t believe in God then why would they be in church to begin with….who are we to say who is worthy to par=take in the breaking of the bread, and the drinking of the sweet that of the blood of jesus…..Don’t judge…. ,

• I wanted to offer Communion in our residents lounge once a week and invite everyone. I thought if people want to come and take Communion with us they must have some faith, some belief however small or misguided, and we could minister life and truth to them. Then the argument arose that someone who was not worthy might take it! I had to laugh or cry as I felt the Holy Spirit inside say “love”?

• Tom Howard says:

Henrea, thats so true. We dont judge them, they judge themselves. 1 Corinthians 11:31
      “For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.’ This is the examination Paul is talking about. Communion is a serious thing. After Judas took communion, he left to betray Jesus. He failed to judge himself. He died.

14. emmanuel wayo says:

thanks for the good works done, but i want to know this, did judas ate the bread and wine before he betrayed Jesus?

15. If you are not baptized or refused to be baptized you should not take communion – when you take it you are saying that you believe in jesus to be your only saviour, and you believe in him dying for your sin’s and you only believe in the the father, the son and holy spirit – if you cannot make that sacifice to god to be baptized then you should not take communion – we all had to get baptized and do it in order baptizim, then our first holy communion we girls dressed in white as brides of christ and then our confirmation….this is our faith you not respecting that is creating sin in our own church and towards yourselves. Jesus said follow me…but if you refuse then you are disrespecting jesus because to us when we take communion for that little 15 seconds Jesus is with us and in us….So again ask yourself will to get christained or baptized for Jesus? if not DO NOT TAKE COMMUNION….beause you have no understanding what it is about.

• but being baptized is not a sacrifice… it is a proclamation that you have made the choice to believe in all that Jesus has done for you and represents your death and resurrection in Him. taking communion doesn’t “make” Jesus be with you and in you only for the time you are partaking – if you are a believer in Christ then Jesus is already and always with you and in you from the moment you believed in Him! :)

16. I believe the teachings on who can take communion is a heresy.
    If one has not received Jesus, he is not right in the sight of God. Hence he is a sinner and can not take the communion.
    The blood of Jesus cleanses the sinner who has repented and not any body at all in the Church.
    The holy communion is an ordinance for the Church and the Church is the call out ones.
    Read ( Acts 2:36-42 )
    AMEN

• Aidoo, did Christ die for only those who repented, or for the whole world? Lets imagine this scenario. Jesus with his disciples, having communion, and a sinner wants to join Him, does Christ tell him he has to repent first, or does He invite him to the table with open arms?

• I think it is more of an understanding about what communion is. To the believer, it is a reminder to us of the Lords sacrifice. To a nonbeliever, you have to ask the question, why are they here? Why would a nonbeliever be in a place that is serving communion? Are they seeking Jesus? Can they be invited to partake in our tradition of remembrance? Or is this a sacrament that unholy hands can’t touch? I’d say if the later, there have been many times that I had previously and I would argue many others that were not truly understanding what we were doing by participating in. Is that heresy, or just a lack of knowledge, a knowledge of the One, who says he came to save the very sinner you claim as “unholy”. Don’t forget, the ONLY people Jesus ever rejected were the prideful religious leaders

• Ofcoarse Jesus would ask him to repent first. Duh

• Christians still sin every now and then….. does that “disqualify” them? The world’s sinners coming to Christ with broken hearts, remorse and wanted to seek Jesus (that is why they come to the church right?) – so who “disqualifies” them as unfit to partake the communion?

17. THANK YOU! Having just got home from church and communion, hubby and I were discussing the legalistic view churches take on communion. Your article pinpointed exactly what we have been feeling. Oh the horrors from our childhood of the staunch stance on who could or couldn’t take communion. May Jesus always be remembered!

18. Didn’t the early church ask nonbelievers to leave during communion?

19. Great great article Paul. What a shame we have so marginalized the marginalized. Gays, goths and guru’s, come and share this sacred meal and delight in the love that forever speaks ‘neither do I condemn you’…

20. Interesting debate. There is only two places a person can be – believer in Christ or non-believer; free from all judgement and condemnation or under God’s judgement.

When a non-believer does take communion, and still remain an unbeliever, nothing changed. He’s not more or less under God’s condemnation.

When the unbeliever recieves Christ, then things change in an amazing way. Then s/he changes from an unbeliever into a believer. And that is also the change from condemnation to eternal no condemnation. This is the change from cursed to blessed.

Partaking in the communion won’t make an unbeliever into a believer (as some churches think). There is no scriptual evidence for such a teaching. Though, while parttaking as an unbeliever, the person might, as at any other point in time, come under the impression of Jesus’ perfect love and finished work. That might just be the point in time, when s/he recieves Jesus as his/her personal savior.

21. never weighed in on the subject, i was raised catholic,which was communion every Sunday , i didnt feel either way on it,because I didnt understand it, now that I understand it more over the years I embrace it, some of the confusion came from when the church told my mother she could not take communion because she married my dad who was Lutheran,the more i understood what was going on,it kinda ticked me off,I feel like my mother could have experienced,maybe some healing,and or better health,she died to early, more confusing was they were good parents,we loved them,so as a child i was wondering what was wrong, so now I wish all could see that the lord has a lot of sheep in ALL denominations. all are welcome

22. Ben Onoja says:

I love this article on ‘Holy Communion’ and I believe you can help me out on this. Who is qualified to administer the Holy Communion and must it be only in the church, what about our various homes?

23. Can a person who was forced when he was a child to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit by his older brother take holy communion & if he did would it of cleansed him from the eternal sin ?

• Hi Vass Co,

Absolutely, that person can deffinately take communion.

Yet its not the communion that take the sin away – it’s Jesus’s blood that take the sin away. The holy communion only shows to and reminds us of Jesus’s sacrificial death. There, with His death, He paid for ALL my sins as well as every one who believes in Him.

And with His blood, He washed us completely from EVERY sin, past, present and future.

There are various definitions of what blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is. And this is a possible source of confusion. The thing that most of these theories have in common, is that this sin won’t be forgiven.

In the light of the whole Bible, this unpardonable sin is constant rejection of Jesus. In other words, it’s unbelieve in Chist until the person dies.

Yet, for those who believe in Jesus, ALL sins are forgiven. Even cursing God in His trinity (as Father, Son, or Holy Spirit).

It’s the Son that cleanses us, communion is only the proclamation of that cleansing. While it’s proclaimed, the Holy Spirit convinces us that we are eternally rightious in God’s eyes.

We are also convinced that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. (Rom 8:1)

In one sentence, for everyone who believes in Jesus (Rom 10:17), there is no condemnation, because all sins are already punished in Jesus’ body on the cross.

• Tom Howard says:

Francois Du Toit,
        Great word brother, but you did not complete the sentence. Sentence structure is very important. The brothers that brought forth the Holy scripture, thought so too! It express;s a truth. The truth being that, “there is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk (live) not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”

That leads us right to communion and Paul addressing us that believe to Judge ourselves, examine ourselves cause we that believe (us saints) can get out of the Spirit and in the flesh. But not to remain there. No! But to take communion, making us do an examination, an account (if you will).

“For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
        But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be ‘condemned’ with the world.” So thus, then there is no condemnation. Praise God.

24. Steven Colby Walker says:

I did this before I got saved and thought I was condemned.

25. Great Article!
    I thought I’d just put the cat among the pigeons and mention the fact that when Jesus’ disciples had communion with Him, it wasn’t only Judas that wasn’t a Christian – none of them were! As Jesus hadn’t yet gone to the cross and paid the price for our salvation, there was no way for them to be Christians. So, in effect, they were no different to people today who are looking for the truth.

26. Thanks JESUS and Paul (both of you) : ) Jesus the Good Shepherd said “Follow Me” (as in discover my destination for you every day is the table I have prepared for you where I can share myself as the bread of life and affirm all who sit down with me are totally forgiven by holding the tangible cup of My everlasting covenant and taste of new wine by my Blood – anyone/everyone) He says “Come to Me” to the children, the weary, the hungry, the thirsty, those that have no money and when the table is not full he says – Go a carry the blind, the halt the lame to fill my table… and then (Lord, there is still room) He says then go into the countryside and compel them to come until my house is full!” And we will dwell in His house forever. To come to His table sinners doomed – we leave forgiven, fed, filled and blessed with the promise as He said in John 6:29-44 We will live forever and be raised up at the last day! Anyone who hears His invitation and comes will….