What Happens to Christians Who Commit Suicide?

suicideWhat do you say to the parents of a Christian teenager who has just killed himself? I faced this situation several years ago and, I have tell you, it’s not easy. Premature death is hard to handle at any time but suicide leaves loved ones bewildered at its senselessness.

It seems the subject of suicide is one of those sensitive issues that Christians don’t like to talk about. That’s probably because most of us don’t have anything good to say! Ask a believer, “What happens to Christians who kill themselves?” and you’ll likely get one of the following responses:

1.    They go to hell because they never repented for the sin of murder.
2.    It’s not up to us to judge – we don’t know what happens.
3.    It’s a grave sin but God will somehow take care of it in his mysterious ways.

None of these responses brings much comfort to those who are left behind. But happily none of these responses is true! Let’s compare each response with what the Bible says.

What does the Bible say about those who commit suicide?

First, do people who commit suicide go to hell? Not if they’re saved. Revelations 21:8 tells us that the lake of fire – whatever that is – will be full of murderers. But you don’t end up in the lake of fire because you are a murderer (see Rev 20:15). If murder sent you to hell, King David would be a goner. But it doesn’t and he isn’t.

But didn’t God say, “Thou shalt not murder”? He did – it’s the sixth commandment and part of the law. Do you know what the penalty for law-breaking is? Jesus said anyone who breaks the law is in danger of hellfire (Mt 5:22). But his words were directed to those who were born under law – not you (Rm 6:14). When Jesus went to the cross he fulfilled the requirements of the law on your behalf so that you might live free from its curse. Don’t look at your own obedience for salvation; look at his. On the cross Jesus carried the sins of the world and now you are completely and eternally forgiven.

But what about repentance? Don’t we have to repent in order to receive forgiveness? Isn’t this the stumbling block for those who kill themselves – that they never repent? No. We are not forgiven on the basis of anything we do or don’t do. We are forgiven because of what Jesus has done:

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace. (Eph 1:7)

In God’s eyes you are forgiven whether you repent or don’t repent. To say, you must repent to be forgiven, is to cheapen the riches of His grace. The blood of Jesus paid for the sins of the whole world – including the unrepentant and suicidal (1 Jn 2:2). This isn’t to say that the whole world is saved, for we all need to respond to the grace of God by faith (Eph 2:8). Everyone is forgiven but not everyone has received the gift of his righteousness (Rms 1:17). But we are talking here about people who are saved when they die. Can a Christian nullify God’s forgiveness by committing suicide? No – it’s impossible. God’s gifts are irrevocable.

Second, to say, “we don’t know what happens to Christians who kill themselves” merely reveals an ignorance of God’s promises. We do know what happens. They go to be with Jesus (Jn 3:16, 14:3). Some say that “suicide is a grave sin.” Is there any sin that’s not?

The good news is that God’s grace is greater than our gravest sins; His best is better than our worst (Rms 5:20). Just as we are not qualified by our good deeds, neither are we disqualified by our bad (see Col 1:12). We were condemned by Adam’s disobedience but now we have been justified through Christ’s obedience:

So then, just as sin ruled by means of death, so also God’s grace rules by means of righteousness, leading us to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rms 5:21, GNB)

Third, to offer vague comfort by saying, “God will take care of it in some mysterious way,” is to insult the finished work of the cross. Take care of it? He already did! He came and died and rose again that we might have resurrection life:

“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies.” (Jhn 11:25)

Look closely at this promise of Jesus and see if you can find any conditions pertaining to the means of death. There are none! The way in which you shrug off your earth-suit has absolutely no bearing on his promise of resurrection life. Whether you die in a house fire, from an over-dose, or go down with the Titanic, Jesus said, He who believes in me will live, even though he dies.

The main thing

For those who are left behind, suicide hits like a Mack truck. But allow me to bring some perspective to this issue. The single most important fact of your life is not where you were born or how you die, but whether you believe in Jesus – whether you have put your trust in him and confessed him as Lord.

You can be born a prince and die on a field of glory, but unless you know Jesus it’s all for naught. Conversely, you can be born a nobody and die a nobody but if Jesus knows you, all is eternally well! If you have lost someone to suicide and they belonged to Jesus, all is not lost! You will be with them again. Believe what God has promised and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

It is beyond the scope of this post to discuss those things that might drive a believer to suicide. Perhaps you find it inconceivable that someone acquainted with the goodness of God would ever consider ending their lives. But only God knows the depth of pain that some of our brothers and sisters have to endure in this world.

The teenager I mentioned at the top of this post took his own life because he was the ongoing victim of a sexual predator and he could see no other way out. Who am I to say that I would’ve chosen differently if I had been in his shoes? I’m not trying to justify suicide. I’m saying I can’t condemn those who, for reasons I cannot fathom, choose death over life.

It’s too late to help that young man but it’s not too late to comfort his parents and those of you who’ve lost loved ones to suicide. Maybe you have heard words of condemnation or hollow comfort. Maybe you’ve been be told that the one you lost is lost for eternity. If so, I encourage you to find rest in the grace of our loving Father and to cultivate the same conviction as Paul:

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Rms 8:38-9)

___
Related posts:
- What happens to unfruitful branches?
- Does God give and take away?
- Is God’s love unconditional?
- Building ramps for the mentally ill

Comments

1. iluvtheword says:

Comforting words……and true!!

2. Good Job.

3. Linde Nicolay says:

Thank you once again from my heart Paul. You answered many questions regarding this subject. God bless you. xx
    By the way, I checked your photos on FB and wow, some lovely sceneries.

4. thanks for this post!

5. keith blond says:

Thank you Paul, a wonderfully encouraging article on a subject that has been hotly debated over time, in paticular by the leagalist, or should I say the “anti Grace brigade”.

I read an article by someone who remains nameless commenting on Joseph Princes’s two great books and all this pesson can say – ” Prince says we dont have to repent” — he/she says “In 1JN 1:9 Prince says, John is talking to the gnostics” etc and etc.

The anti Grace brigade just dont get it do they?

Yet some of them are Theologians? – the word cheap Grace is tossed about, what about a cheap degree.. ouch, keith stop it. Cheers Paul, keep it up, your website is just awesome. Thank you.
    PS 5:12.. IS A WOW

• Paul although your intent is to give someone hope to avoid the lake of fire, as ministers we must tell the truth concerning scripture. I disagree with your explanation and interpretation of Holy scripture. Revelation 21:8 declares that murderers shall have their part in the lake of fire. the question that should be considered is: are we forgiven before we commit the sin or after we commit the sin? that can only be determined if we repent from the sin. If we say right now, “God forgive me for all the sins I will ever commit, their is no need to repent at any other time. But we must repent after we have sinned. I cannot understand how repentance occur before the sin is committed. Its like saying to God “forgive me before I commit this sin and then we commit the sin. Woe, even liars shall have their part in the lake of fire. Revelation 21:8.

• This is exactly the sort of works mentality that causes people to miss grace. By your logic we are only saved or safe if we maintain works of repentance.That’s bad news. The good news declares we were forgiven at the cross. Your forgiveness is a done deal. The only thing that can hurt you is your rejection of God’s grace. It’s putting price tags on his gifts.

Rev 21:8 also says “all liars” burn in the lake of fire too. I don’t know anyone who can be excluded except Jesus and those who are in him. If Jesus can save liars, he can save murderers as well.

• Jesus’ sacrifice was “once for all”… once for all time (1 pet 3:18). once for all men (heb 7:27). once for all sin (rom 6:10). once for all (heb 9:12). all of your past, present and future sins and all of my past, present and future sins were “future sins” when Jesus died for them on the cross 2000 years ago. it is the goodness of God (ie: already being completely forgiven of all our sins) that leads men to repentance (rom 2:4)… not the other way around. ;)

• Arthur by your definition, Heaven will be a lottery, unless you are lucky to know the exact time of your death? If your unlucky, and get hit by a bus crossing the road to buy a loved one a gift…after having just told them a lie about your planned suprise…Having NOT been given time to repent, as the 20 tonne vehicle plows thru your jelly like body. You unfortunately have lost that never ending Lottery Of Heaven and Hell. Wow..im just glad i believe in a God who had the intelligence to maybe not alow my eternity to ride on either a 24/7 prayer of repentence…or a lucky timing Lotto ticket.

Re: OP. This helped me alot, whilst i lost my brother ( half brother so not living with us) to suicide and am almost certain he hadnt accepted Jesus..(not 100% certain)…I realise that he may have gone to hell. HOWEVER..i also believe our prayers hold power…I also believe time has no meaning for God, not as it does for us. So i believe that before his soul left his body, Jesus may have spoke to him, and given him 1 more chance. This belief has no Biblical founding…Im not learned, but i know if God is anything, its Love, Mercy and Forgiveness…so i think its possible.

Anyway. God Bless.

6. thanks for posting. i know several that will disagree, but i find in comforting that there are others out there who i can agree with.

7. Bertha Harmon says:

Brother Paul, I just wanted to share with you about my son, Matthew. On Dec. 29, 1996, he commited suicide. He was 14 yrs. old. I was told by some people that he had gone to hell because of this, but I just want to testify about God’s GOODNESS. Several yrs. before this happened, my, then, pastor’s wife taught about how the same way that the enemy took out people with cancer of the body, he also took out people with cancer of the mind through suicide. Six months before Matthew commited suicide my nephew died of cancer. Holy Spirit brought this message back to my remembrance and HIMSELF assured me that Matthew was HOME!!!!! I could go on with more detail, but this is the bulk of what I want to say.

Thank you for this great message. God will most certainly use it to SILENCE the mouth of the enemy.

Shalom, dear brother!!!!!

Bertha Harmon

8. primologian says:

From my opinion, I think Christians who suicide will lose their salvation because:
    -They gave up on hope(Jesus)
    -They gave up on life(Jesus)
    -They lost faith in Jesus

• I think today’s Grace Quote is an apt response: “Every Christian I’ve met who believes they can lose their salvation has always given a reason that involves them. What if I commit suicide? What if I get a divorce? What if I stop believing? What if I…? You fill in the blank there, but it’s all the same. Every hypothetical scenario puts ourselves at the center of the equation. But our faithfulness to God is an old-covenant problem that is solved by the new.” ~ Andrew Farley

• Paul, could you get in touch with me? I have attempted suicide as a Christian and I feel so ashamed – I never thought that I could do such a thing, like another person has said further down on this blog. Please help me work through this – I need reassurance that I haven’t lost my salvation.
        Thanks,
        Maura

• Maura,
        You raise a big issue so let me call in two big guns. Here’s Peter: Whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved” (Act 2:21). Now here’s Paul, “Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” (Rom 10:13). Have you called on the name of the Lord? Then you’re saved. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

• I’m so blessed to have stumbled upon your blog, Paul!!! Praise God for a man of God who will teach TRUTH and not RELIGION!!! Thank you, Brother!!!!
        Too many Believer’s are looking at WORKS and not GRACE; they feel as though THEY have to do something and the truth is….. NOTHING we can do, EQUATES to and will NEVER be ENOUGH, as what CHRIST has ALREADY done for us!!!!!

• But if everything that makes us guilty before God was washed away on the cross wouldn’t losing faith after coming to Christ be a sin that was washed away? see Colossians 2:14 Or are some sins not covered by the cross? If so can you rprove it to yourself without a doubt from scripture.
      (They all are washed away but you have to ask the question if you think salvation goes away when you lose faith.)

• a person who has received Christ can never actually “lose” his faith… he can, however, forget where he has placed it!
        a person can forget about or chose not to do anything with his faith after he has received it, and has used it to believe Christ for salvation. from the parable of the 10 minas (luke 19:11-27) we learn, unlike the servant who hid his mina (because he was fearful and refused to accept it was his in his possession to invest), that a person can receive his “measure” of “like precious faith” (rom 12:3 and 2 pet 1:1) and use it once – if only by “depositing” it in Christ to gain interest. and interestingly, the word used for “interest” in this verse, actually means “to birth; bring forth; offspring” – which is undeniably suggestive of being born-again. only people who never accept this faith to receive Christ (that the Holy Spirit offers all men) can lose their salvation – because they never received it in the first place.

• winsome Channer says:

I think it is sometimes too easy to judge. Life is hard. the only the that keeps me going is that God said it would be hard. but some times its just too…much. Other times you catch your breath. People are just unkind and that it what really hurts either they kick you when you are down or they just don’t care. Not to mention there is no room for error you must be perfect at all times. That is the way I see it.

• Sad, but true. The saddest is when the closest ones to you, your supposed family, go beyond kicking you when you are down…in the depths of the greatest pain.

9. Patrick Hing says:

Eternal life is life eternal in Christ forever unless he/she was never saved in the first place! Carry on the good work Paul.

10. This gospel is not for the “tough ones”, the people who can bite their lips, swallow their pain.
    A friend of mine, he was a christian before I met Jesus and he played a part in my own salvation story, killed him self by jumping from a building.
    He was a gifted drummer, but suffered from fatherlessness – displayed through drugabuse and smoking. That was a reason he could not stay in the worshipteam of his church.(its the church I am a part of, thankful we have grown in the grace of god)
    The church counseled him, tried to drive demons out of him but I believe no one really showed him Daddys love.
    I was not sure if he made it, but since I grow in grace I am sure he is enjoying to sit on Daddies lap – free at last.

When god chooses not to count our sins against us, I believe suicide is not counted against him as well.

By the way: has anyone ever thought negatively about himself : “I am such a fool?” – According to Jesus, you are guilty of having committed suicide ;) Matthew 5,21-22

• Tobi, we are not forgiven of our sins based on what we do in this life. we are forgiven because we have repented. Only God can forgive sin, not our actions. Matthew 5:21-22 speaks of we taking the life of others not your own. However, murder is murder and Jesus said they shall be in danger of judgement. Read Revelation 21:8. the truth will set us all free.

• That is not what the new covenant teaches. “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace” (Eph 1:7). It is either his grace or your repentance, but not both. We don’t repent to become forgiven. We repent – change our stubborn and disbelieving hearts – because we’ve had a revelation that we are forgiven and that ALL the blessings of God are already ours in Christ Jesus.

11. Derrick Sales says:

This is brilliant, an awesome truth about who serves us. Well done for putting it into perspective, comforting words of truth.

12. Joshua James Robert says:

Dear Paul,
    This is a really cool article…can you please clarify this verse in 1 John 5:18? “If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.”

13. NAS - FAVOUR says:

Hi Paul and full Grace brother,

How is mercy connected to grace ? Can you please explain in detail a friend of mine has asked me and i said i will get back to him……

In His Grace and Love

John

• Mercy is when you don’t get what you do deserve (eg: punishment); grace is when you do get what you don’t deserve (eg: favor). You might also say that mercy gets you forgiveness but grace makes you righteous and acceptable in the Beloved.

14. Hi Paul have read your article – good thanks for further thoughts

blessings Astrid

15. Dear Paul,

Thank you for your comforting message. We lost our 21 year old daughter on December 1, 2011. She was battling prescription drugs. We found her journal. She had a deep relationship with God, but we were unaware of her deep depression and the affect of Adderal. We do believe our daughter is in heaven. God bless all parents experiencing a similar tragedy. This is certainly the toughest time in our life. Our hearts our broken…

• Dear Freddie,
      I am so sorry for your loss. If you need anything or if I can help in any way, please don’t hesitate to ask. Although this is a dark time, I’m praying that our loving Father will reveal Himself to you in ways you have not known and touch your broken hearts. Know that everyone reading this is praying for you too.

16. In the movie about Martin Luther, he said, “The man who commits suicide is no more to blame than the man who is attacked by robbers.”
    This was such a confirmation for me.
    I gave my life to Christ as a child. I grew up in church all my life – present at every service and then some! Pianist, teacher, active leader in many ways. I had always loved the Lord, His Word, His people, and His work. I didn’t know it then, but I was deeply rooted and living in
    religion.
    At 38 years old, I attempted suicide. And nearly succeeded. Something no one, including myself, would have ever dreamed I would’ve even considered.
    I can testify that most people have no idea of the depth of deception the enemy can pour on. Especially, if you have opened the door to him by participating in sin. It will harden your heart and conscious. And if you are not constantly in the Word or have a REAL relationship with the Spirit of God – not a church roll record or list of accomplishments and duties – but a real, living, breathing, interactive relationship – the enemy’s lies began to make sense.
    He loves to cull people out of the fold. Isolation and sickness or weakness (spiritually) are his playground. The only defense is understanding who you are in Christ, staying full of the Word, and getting rid of religion. It will kill you.
    Upon returning home from the hospital, I began saturating myself in the Word through tv, music, CD’s, tapes, services, classes. I found Andrew Wommack and although his teachings made my angry at first, because they challenged my false theology, I now praise God for delivering me from the bondage of religion! I am so thankful for Grace teachers like you, Paul!! Your work (and those like you) is saving lives! Even – and especially – the saved ones!

17. Love it. Cant get enough of your posts!!! Ive been a Christian for 2 years now and i am so thankful to have recieved the gift of hia grace. I agree completly with the post. No sin is heavier than the blood of Christ.

18. john roberts says:

What do you say to a lady who has lost her son who has taken his own life???
    who wants to know has he gone to hell or not ! as if it wasn’t hard enough for her to deal with.
    To anyone in that boat. I hope you will seek person to person support available in your community or perhaps close circle of friends. [doctor]

I believe the new testament says the your body is the temple where the Holy Ghost lives. “The full deity lives within you” and “You have the mind of Christ” A.Wommack once said hope is the antiphesis of depression.
    Quite formidable resources.
    This is perhaps what makes the question so difficult to answer, I will try :-
    Many people and Christians suffer from depression, a sense of despair at times, or a range of other emotional problems due to being imperfect. The Holy Ghost doesn’t as far as I can tell, instantly make you perfect again like Adam was initially and so live for hundred plus years, its more a work in progress described in Romans.

The Words of Spirit and Life in a number of individual cases where these mental processes have gone wrong seem to have little or no impact, even your memory and learning is made of flesh. I imagine it is in some way mapped into your Spirit when you step out.
    A person may have various issues not of choice.
    Anyway others have perhaps more the opposite to say. Such along the lines of “I have given you power to tread scorpions and snakes underfoot.” for general problems is a good attitude to take.

Believe God is Love and is also just and merciful.

19. bloopitybloopitybloopity says:

I have been battling suicidal thoughts for some time now. I cut myself regularly. Suicide occupies my thoughts and invades my dreams. As time goes on it’s getting stronger. I’ve tried turning to christian brothers and sisters for help/support (not answers, or a solution), even family, whether specifically identifying my problem or being suggestive as to what I’m thinking about – and I’m generally met with avoidance or a I don’t want to know/get over it attitude. Even the knowledge that someone is hurting is seemingly distasteful and indicative of “not enough faith.”. Some have even looked down on me spiritually saying I need to get closer to God and then avoid me to make me get closer to him (even though I know I am joined with Him and cannot get any closer). I am part of the facebook grace community. I used to be part of the works salvation crowd. Many folk on there helped me on the path to finding grace, but now it’s almost like I think I’d prefer a slamming about how if I commit suicide I’ll go to hell – at least then I’m not being told I’m loved and ignored in the same breath. I feel safe to admit what I have here as I can post anonymously. I know I cannot admit it where my name is published as it results in platitude and cliche that results in feeling even more alone and rejected. I’m already at the end of my rope and don’t need any more lectures about how stupid I am. Paul, I love your writings and this one is no exception. I completely agree. “Keep yourself alive” = a work to keep your salvation.

• Thanks for taking the time to write. Can I put something on your radar that you may not have considered. Those suicidal thoughts may not be your thoughts. I know they sound a lot like your thoughts, but appearances can be deceiving. In Christ we are new creatures. We have the mind of Christ so any thoughts we have that are not thoughts He has do not originate in our new-born spirit. They come from another source. Tempting thoughts come to all of us in one way or another. We don’t have to receive them. We can say “No”. Thoughts of suicide even came to Jesus – and he rejected them (see Matt. 4:6-7). He didn’t take them on board.

I am not denying your hurts, which sound severe. I want to interrupt the thought process that says “because I’m hurting, suicide is an option.” Let me cut that thought in two. Yes, you are hurting. Life is unbearably hard at times. But Jesus will never encourage you to end your life.

Is it possible for you to detach these two things? Are you able to view the real hurt separately from the suicide issue? You may say, “But Paul, you don’t know how much pain I’m in.” How do you know that I don’t? I’ve been to the pit a few times. I found God in the pit. He comforted me and lifted me up. Looking back, I can tell you that the pit was one of the sweetest times of my life because of Who I met there. Because of Him the pit was not permanent.

You’re in a dark spot right now but you will come through. One day you will look back at this day and see it for what it is – a low point. I want to leave you with a scripture that really encouraged me while I was in the pit: “Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord shall be a light unto me” (Micah 7:8). And he was. And I did.

• bloopitybloopitybloopity says:

Paul, I know they’re not my thoughts. I’ve known that for some time, but I am just so tired of fighting them, I don’t have the strength any more. I know God doesn’t want me dead, He’s shown me things to come for me, but I just cannot see them happening, and the enemy is certainly using that. Micah 7:7 has been one of my favourite passages for years, I will call to Him and He will hear me…and although I know He is with me always, it doesn’t feel like He is, like He’s not listening. I’ve had people tell me that this is all God’s plan, that He’s standing back to make me stronger, to make me fight on my own without relying on Him. I’m just so confused what to even believe.

• I’ve been down that road. I too used to cut myself regularly. It was a compulsive addiction for me. I thought about committing suicide for a while as well. I would fall asleep every night crying my eyes out, hoping I’d die in my sleep because I was too scared to actually go beyond cutting myself. What Paul said to you was totally true about me. Sometimes thoughts that don’t belong come to me about suicide and cutting myself, but they are not mine. I am a new creation.

Grace is love that stoops, and love stooped down to hold me when I went through this, just as Love will do for you. I couldn’t make it on my own, but Jesus picked me up and carried me. The greatest revelations of God’s love for me came during that period of my life. Don’t give up on hope. The pain of being in the place of suicide and cutting feels unbearable, but Jesus will lift you out of the pit. I still have scars from when I would cut myself. Every time I look at them I am reminded of Jesus, who followed me to hell and back, and never ever stopped loving me. It’s been a year and a half since I last cut myself, and around that much time since my last serious contemplation of suicide.Blessings and prayers to you, Jesus is faithful and has absolutely zero condemnation for you in this place of pain.

• bloopitybloopitybloopity says:

Daniel, thank you for your transparency. I’ve found that most folk don’t want to hear bad stuff, and they really don’t want to reveal anything like what you just did. I appreciate it. It does kinda help to know that a brother has gone through it and come out the other side – or to see that you (and Paul) took time out of your lives to actually respond to me instead of just ignoring me. I can’t even begin to express how grateful I am for that, and it has provided some hope…

• Feel free to e-mail me if you want to bro. You should be able to get my e-mail by clicking on my name.

• bloopitybloopitybloopity says:

Daniel, clicking just takes me to your blog…and, btw, I am your “sister” in Christ lol :)

• Oh. Haha, my foolish mistake. dddixon341@gmail if you want to talk. I’ve been that road before and am totally willing to help in any way I can. It’s only right that I take the freedom and healing Jesus has shown me and help others out.

• Colleen G says:

Sometimes bad thoughts(depression, suicide, etc) have nothing to do with our spitiuality and everything to do with our physical health. You would be surprised at the messed up thinking can be caused by a nutritional imbalance. I was serverely depressed, learned about grace and real salvation but I only moved up to moderatly depressed among other health issues. (At that time healing by faith was in the realm of quackery, hadn’t learned anything else. I’m just beginning to learn about the real deal) I knew I didn’t want to go the doctor route because that would just be a band-aid treatment that would never really fix me. Then I had no option but to research like crazy and fix myself. It turnined out I have a higher need for some nutrients than other people and that aspects of my lifestyle drained others out of me.
      I guess I’m saying it’s ok to deal with this yourself on a natural level. It’s not always solely spritual and that investigating how to help your body & mind heal with food, vitamins and herbs doesn’t mean you are less-than-super-spiritual. Your a human with a malfuntctioning system. God is not going to withhold His help because of… fill in the blank. It’s ok to not “be there” yet where you can stand and fight spiritually for your healing either. The thing is getting better/balanced should be the goal not how you choose to get there.
      I know Escape Reality teaches that we have healing as part of salvation so if what I say Paul would rather not be posted I’m ok with that. When I was sick I was in no pleace to accept the healing by faith aspect yet.

• Colleen, I totally agree. I thank God for doctors and see no conflict between medicine and faith. The only natural remedy I would add to your suggestion of diet is rest. Sometimes what we need most of all is a good sleep!

• Colleen G says:

Sleep deprivation was a large part of the beginning of my previous depression and other illness. Two of my babies were born very close in age and for both sleep was an foriegn concept. So yes sleep helps much.

20. A few years ago, I became plagued with thoughts on the meaningless of life. despaired over whether school helped me at all for “real life,” and I remember most clearly that I was angry a lot. I’d grown up in a religious setting – but I refused to believe that religion was “truth.” I remember thinking clearly, “If there is a God, couldn’t He deal with sins permanently?”(I wasn’t buying the whole “confession” business at that time.) I decided that religion was a sham, but then I’d done away with the foundation that supported me since birth – and so I was empty. I entertained thoughts of suicide – I failed to turn in most of my school work, my grades slipped, and I was generally irritated and unhappy. Why not just disappear, then?

I stumbled across Escape to Reality after living in that “pit” for many months. I cried as I read through posts on forgiveness and grace – the news that I thought was too good to be true IS indeed true.

If I hadn’t “screwed up” my academic performance and became “depressed,” I would not have met Jesus Christ. And guess what? Soon after reading Paul’s posts and discovering more about the goodness of my heavenly Father, my grades made a huge turnaround the next school year (straight As!). And I remember that year being effortless.

My message? There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Seek [Jesus], and you shall find Him. Thanks, Jesus, for pulling me out of the pit and into your loving embrace!

21. Wow wow wow….thanks for this post Paul. This comment is in no way useful & has probably wasted a few seconds of your life if you’ve read it, but my thanks just bubbled up :-) By the way if you find a cure for addiction to the Good News I would love to hear back from you.
    Have a good day.

• haha! the cure is always more of Jesus! in Him we are completely filled, and yet there is always room for more! :D

• Haha so true :-D Thanks for the comment Jennie, i’m finally finding time to get through my emails & catch up on some more of the Good news & posts I’ve commented on :-D…take care :-)
        P.S if you know of anyone in England who is into the Good news, please let me know :-)

• Hi John, I recommend you post your question about churches on E2R’s Facebook page and see what comes back.

• Beverly says:

Where in the UK John? We have found a wonderful church that preaches unadulterated Grace – branches so far in Dagenham, Watford and Guildford. this is Dagenham site http://www.treeoflifedagenham.com

22. John Nasello says:

Hi Paul love your website so Grace filled :)

Beloved Paul can you explain in detail and Word the connection between Grace = Jesus and integrity Because I am so disappointed with some leaders that have began to understand Grace and embraced Grace BUT continue to walk in the old nature, how can I as a leader point them in the right direction in love. With out telling them what to do, please show me how grace and integrity are important as a leader ?

Your Beloved Bradda in Christ

John. N.

23. Paul I need help,,,I’m going through a lot 3weeks ago I lost my boyfriend,,he took his life and I dnt know what to do

24. This is the 2nd article I read of yours today. I’ll not bug u the rest of the day. I know alot of people left behind are hurting but we don’t base the word of God on feeling to make people feel better. If anything we need to help other people that are being deceived by satan to kill themselves. There are countless story of people asking preachers if they will go to hell if they commit suicide, and the preachers say no and not long after that person committed suicide. If anyone reading is having thoughts of suicide please get in the bible and read it for yourselves. Start with Ephesians 6:10-18. Put on the Whole Armor of God and fight against these thoughts. JUDE VERSE 4 tells us that there are people who turn the grace of our God into lewdness. But true grace helps us in a time of need.Titus 2:11-12 tell us what grace really does. “11. For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men 12. teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age.” God is so good, He will help you. Trust him. I’m glad when i was a teenager and going thur some problems I didn’t hear no body preaching this, who knows maybe I wouldn’t be here today.

• As I mention in the post, this was written for parents and those left behind – people who have been told that their dead kids are burning in hell. To take this post as an endorsement of suicide is to miss my heart by 100 miles.

Since writing this post I have been contacted by hurting Christians who are contemplating suicide. Typically they have Googled “Christian” and “suicide” and wound up here.
      They make contact with me and I encourage them by telling them how God has met me during the dark times of my own life. I seek to dissuade them of the lie that says “this is all there is” and “nothing’s going to change” and I reveal the living hope they have here and now in Christ. To the best of my knowledge, none of them has followed through on their life-ending plans.

If I hadn’t written the post above, I would never hear from these people.

25. dare I ask I question that might raise another elephant in the room? On hearing about the sad death of Rick Warren’s son – my first thought was – did anyone try and raise him from the dead? Shouldn’t this be our first response?

• Amen and YES, they should have!!! We as Believer’s are CALLED to…HEAL THE SICK, CAST OUT DEMONS AND …..RAISE THE DEAD!!! The word says, “Signs and wonders WILL follow those who believe”!!!! If it took Jesus using “signs and wonders” to convince people,He was who He said He was, how much more so of US??? The body of Christ is far from being the AMBASSADOR’S OF CHRIST, we are called to be!!!!

26. gilbert says:

awesome!!

27. Apparently, some people in this life will never understand that God sent Jesus to be the final sacrifice for our sins. If you’re reading this, you are forgiven. Don’t kill yourself – live. You are forgiven. Forgive others as He has forgiven you and you will live. my most respected line in this whole blog is from Steven. “If anything, we need to help other people that are being deceived by satan to kill themselves”. Love one another.

28. I can only see in the comments section that where sin abounded Grace superabounds. With the revelation that to live is Christ and to die is gain, it is no mere coincidence that God uses the death of one to break the bondage of suicide in many! Preach it brother Ellis!

29. I think the self blame when depressed is one of the hardest things to deal with. Moving beyond that to realise that, yes, depression can be caused by the wrong food, sleeplessness, life events, genetic propensity to it, can help set me free from the self blame. Verses like “all those who obey the voice of His servant and yet sit in deep darkness and have no shining splendour in their hearts’ can help us realise that we can’t ‘try’ our way out of it, we can only ‘trust’ and wait for a word from Jesus. Mine was ‘This will pass’. And it did. Praise God.

30. Hi Paul, thank you for your post on such an incredibly difficult subject. My mother supposedly committed suicide at age 31. For the next 20 years, I agonized over the comments of legalists who told me that she was in hell because she destroyed her own body. Finally a Christian counselor said that she truly believed my mother was in heaven because she walked in the Light of Jesus as fully as she could in that legalistic church. Her comments brought a measure of peace. My own battle with depression and thoughts of suicide began when I was 13 years old (2 years after mom’s death) and has continued for 37 years. Several months ago an ‘insight’ came which encouraged me to think of my life as being hidden with Christ Jesus in God the Father. When I feel overwhelmed by life and the pain of the past, I finally have a place of safety and rest because I am hidden with Christ in God. Maybe this thought will help others, too. I love your site and pray that God will continue to reveal the wonder of His Grace.

• Thanks Lucie, that’s a neat and life-giving insight. Here’s another: “I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand” (Joh 10:28). We may tire and our grip may weaken but he will never let us go.

• Thank you Paul. So good to be reminded that God will never let me go. There is so much peace and rest from reading your posts about God’s love and grace. Blessings and encouragement back to you :-)

• chrisvanrooyen says:

Hi Lucie
      My mother also ” committed suicide ” I had to go and ID her body. She was also in a legalistic Church.
      In the Book of Revelation Jesus is referred to as the first begotten of the dead you see before him God saw everyone as dead. A dead person has no life to take when God said to Adam and Eve in the day you eat of it you will die he meant it. We receive life in Jesus and this is unconditional. There is only one man that committed suicide and that was Adam both he and Eve were the first to see their nakedness.The bible says that Adam was not deceived he knew what he was doing when he ate.And this sin will never be forgiven.
      You have been mislead by a bunch of fear mongers.
      I can assure you if your Mother had faith in Jesus it is impossible for her to die her body may but not her.
      I am so sorry that you had to go through that torment.

• Thank you for words of encouragement. I am so sorry about the loss of your mother. It must have been painful. Have you reached a place of healing where the abundant life Jesus promised is evident? The promise is for me also, I know, but there seems to be some dis-connect. Maybe learning more about God’s grace is the answer….

31. My 19-year old son took his life in August 2012. I’m blessed to be part of a healthy bible believing community. Christ died for our sins – all of them – and my son had accepted Christ as a little boy. I’m grateful beyond words that his story has not ended.

I’ve been very surprised to find little to no suicide support groups that are bible-based. Everything I’ve found is so set on “all ways lead to God.” I have a big desire to begin a group that is biblically based and focused on sharing God’s love and truth with anyone suffering through a loss of a loved one to suicide. I’m praying it through and doing some research. Any suggested resources? (I’ve got GriefShare as a resource, a handful of books that could help in facilitating a group, a few contacts that are part of a Christian support group for suicide survivors in other states and the Holy Spirit).

32. Suicide leads only to Hell including Christians. A Christian believer killed himself dead and is dead in this unrepentant murder sin. The dead can’t repent, the dead who left the Earth in any sin go straight to Hell. Repentance is only for the living,

33. God is the only judge. He knows what each person’s last thought was, what his/her last breath was. That being said, I agree with Igor in that suicide is an unrepented murderer and knowing that the life we are given is not ours to take, and taking it, is a sin against God. Hebrews 10:26-29. I don’t know how any one can say that by not repenting you can be saved. That is a lie. The Bible clearly states “Repent, and CONVERT, so that your sins may be blotted out”(Acts 3:19, 2:38). If there is no remission of sins, there is NO salvation. The Bible says we must take care of our salvation with fear and trembling so that our walk in the Lord will not have been in vain (Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. (Phillipians 2:13-16: For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.) Salvation CAN be lost. That’s why we must be prepared for our day of death or for when the Lord comes to call his people (whichever comes first). When someone commits suicide, sadly, they have run the race in vain becuase they have given up to defeat. The apostle Paul says it in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27, “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” That is what we all must do as Christians.

34. sharrukina malek says:

Dear Paul I read your article because i am currently contemplating suicide in a strong way. What happened is that I think i have gone mad and i dont want to stay behind and either live in an institution and or be taken care of by my family. I no longer enjoy life and since there is no solution for my state of mind, i have decided to end my life. The only thing I am afraid of is purgatory or going to hell. I am also very sad about all the pain I am going to cause when I leave but I see no solution for my health. I was wondering if you think I am going to go into purgatory or hell if I do this. I am 40 years old. will you please respond to me. regards, s.m

• Dear SM,
      Mental illness is awful but there is always hope in Christ Jesus. The fear of going mad may lead you to give up hope, to think you have no other choices, but it’s not true. You do have other choices. Every believer does. As I say elsewhere, life doesn’t have the last word when you are walking after the spirit. Your heavenly Father cares for you. He doesn’t want you to end your life. He wants you to live, to be as well as you can be, and to enjoy his gracious gifts. That may be hard for you to believe right now, but it’s true. One day you will look back at this time and see it for what it is – a dark time in your life. But it is not the end. There is hope!

35. I believe God sees my illness and the tortures of my life. I’m so glad to read we are covered by His grace. Thank you.

36. As a 57 year old man who walks so so close to the ledge and edge far too often then I’d ever admit to another person – due to bipolar and deep seated gay issues – this post gave me so much comfort. It in no way gave me easy license to commit a very final act, but reading it – much like a gentle balm soothed. Some of the mental despair I don’t have the copying skills for anymore.
    For however it all plays out, and whatever the outcome is, I know that Romans 8:38-39 is true. There is totally nothing and never will be anything but the grace and mercy – of the Blood of a Saviour that remained up on that tower of wood until it was finished. His blood is all there is for me to rely on to atone for any of my vast sins – those confessed and those not.
    I am his now. I will be his then.
    Thank you so much for writing this.

37. I’m having those thoughts of suicide right now…..was looking to see if I’d still go to heaven. And came across this post….my wife took my kids from me…..my anger has gotten the best of my life..and I can’t take the pain anymore.

• Frank, don’t do it. I know you must be going through hell right now but this is not the end. There is hope in this life. You are not alone. Everyone reading this is standing with you. Don’t quit.

• Frank,I know exactly how you feel.Back in 1987 I went through the same thing.It was devastating.I did spend much time praying and the Lord gave me a plan.He led me to stand for my marriage.It was not easy but I knew I heard from the Lord.Stay in the word and pray in the spirit a lot.Within months circumstances turned around completely.Do not beg or plead to your wife.That is a complete turn off to them.Be confident in Him.He will show you what to do.Taking your life seems like an easy way out.It is not.Put down those thoughts.Praying.

38. Paul. I lost my Dad Nov 7 this year…..now my kids…..I have the biggest pit in my gut and pain in my heart….I haven’t slept in days I can’t take this anymore….I’ve come to an end…I need help more now than ever!

39. Hi Frank! Just prayed for you. I agree with Paul, this is not the end. I’m sure your kids wont be happy if you’ll do that.. God loves you so much!

40. I’m 40 and Christian have been since 1996. received Holy Spirit, with tongues in 1997. I am in so much pain and have been ever since can remember. I never understood why my 16 yr. old childhood friend took her life. until the past fifteen years of my life has been. extremely challenging.Honestly I feel the gift of Holy Spirit is how I’ve managed this long.Anyway I see my entire being in Psalms 22. if I remember its about orphans ect. Its comforting to have read this post and after a good cry. I finally understand that writing if the apostle Paul. So even if…… but just for now I rest. Seasons Greetings everyone

41. Thank you for your article. I am 58 and have had chronic depression all of my life. 15 years of phycotropic drugs, alcohol and drugs and have no support from my family. The depression and lonlieness I feel is becoming unbearable and am close to ending my life. I believe in Jesus and pray for relief with none. Recently have been having terrible anxiety attacks which scare me, nothing seems to help. Please pray for my soul as I only want this suffering to stop. I am getting my few things in order so my family will not be burdened.

• Kathy Poucher says:

Bob, Jesus always has the answers we need…for anything, no matter how bad it looks. He came to give us His life. His life in you will overcome any bad you are experiencing. His love for you is way greater. In 2005, my 19 year old son took his life. I was experiencing horrible panic attacks. This went on for months. I came across Andrew Wommack on TV and started hearing the gospel. I was born again (since 1979) but my understanding about the gospel had become clouded by my legalistic mindset. I went to his website and started saturating my mind with more teaching about the gospel. Knowing the GOOD NEWS totally set me free from fear and grief over my son. The gospel releases the power of God to set you free from ALL your griefs, infirmities, sicknesses, fears, depression, and anything else in life that is bad. I’m praying that you will go to the effort to renew your mind with the writings on this site of Pauls’ or other people who know about the good news and don’t mix the law with grace!

• Bob, your post touched my heart. Before you give up try one thing. Give it all up to Christ, total absolute surrender.

“Jesus there’s nothing in this life to live for, it’s all pain and I give up. It’s your responsibility now Jesus because I am totally done, you’re either going to take me out of this world or somehow make it bearable but it’s completely in your hands because I can’t do it anymore.”

Bob I care about you and I’m praying for you.

• Robert Deisenroth says:

Thank You for your reply. I will do that. At this point I have nothing left to loose. I am so close to my breaking point; I am numb with pain. Thanks for your prayers. I need them.

Bob

• Bob…my heart goes out to you for sure. I am depression-prone and I’m only 35 with a great 10yr old son. Passive suicidal ideation comes and goes through my mind. I have to take medication otherwise the “thought” demons as I now call them, come to attack. My son and I live with my folks, but I cannot show my feelings to my mom (particularly) because then she gets upset. I read that God uses those with the greatest sufferings as a means to minister to other people suffering as well. People like us….if we stay too much wrapped up in our own thoughts + emotions….well, it’s just no good. Social interaction, of any kind, helps. You may very well be able to help save someone else’s life just by opening your heart to them and sharing your story. If you or anyone else would like some support, my email is: jenveronica77@gmail.com

42. My husband died by suicide May ’09. He was a believer and is in heaven now and forever. Rom 8:38 was his favorite scripture and has been my comfort these 5 years. In 1Peter we are taught to consider it all joy when we fall into various trials. Really? But now I know it to be true. I found my husband’s body. Although his body was defeated, like a dirty rag, there was light, angels and peace all around. It was like seeing death swallowed up by life, heaven and hell at a glance. I ran away when I saw him, away from death, like a bat out of hell. Grief carries a lot of death speak, and now, I’m desperate for life speak. So I’m running to Jesus and his finished work on the cross. My husband suffered with bipolar and alcoholism and tried to do it on his own and was overcome. But I Rejoice! Jesus has overcome the world! I have been given the gift of seeing the tragic consequences of choosing works, law and death, and it has fired me up to speak of only life, faith, grace and love.
    I look forward to your email posts!
    God bless you!

43. It is impossible for a believer to commit suicide, their life is no longer their own to take it has been purchased. John 11,26.They are a resurrected child of God even if they do not believe it.2 timothy 2;13.

• I understand the sentiment, Chris, but Christians do make choices concerning our bodies. Suicide is the act of killing your body and to those left behind it is extremely painful to lose a loved one in that way. Yes and Amen to the unfailing love and faithfullness of our Lord, as he welcomes home the suicide victims and comforts the mourners. Peace,
      Geraldine

• It is not a sentiment Geraldine, and I believe that you do not understand, but even if you do not believe . Jesus cannot deny himself in you and he is life. Your body is already dead and your spirit or soul lives , this is the way God sees you .If your body was still alive you would not inherit the kingdom. My mother left the same way your husband did, but that is all it is , they left us early. Death has no relevance other than being an end to an opportunity to be a part of God plan in this world.This life offers no more than that , everything else will destroyed.Even if you cannot see this now l am convinced you will eventually see that everything else is irrelevant.You even say it was like death swallowed up by life. I believe you. But do you believe.Do you really believe that the moment you breath your last and you heart stops you die. I do not for one moment believe it and no one other than God will convince me that I will die.He has shown me his life and this I believe.

• Chris,
        I defer to E2R answering the question “why do people still die? My husband’s earthly body died at his own hands, his choice, his timing, his despair. I miss him, I grieve his presence, my body physically mourns the loss of my spouse. We will be reunited in heaven, but on earth I am a widowed mother of two young children. I look to God now to be the head of my household and Abba to my kids. Christians
        bodies can die by suicide, but our spirits live forever.

44. I’ve been a Christian since my youth. I worked hard to provide for my wife and kids then one day she (wife) just up and left and soon after we divorced. I recovered from this after 2 years then felt excited at the thought that God had someone more “spiritual” and compatible for me. 11 years later I’m still alone. Every time someone appears she is snatched away from me. I’ve prayed, pleaded with God over this but there is no response. He doesn’t seem to care at all for me and I’ve no energy left to pray. I wish I could be sure that I would escape hell if I suicide.

• James, When He died on the cross and went through hell, He had YOU in mind. If He knows and cares about any small bird falling, your VALUE is so great that He gave His all for you. He KNEW YOU then, He knows you now and for ever. You are KNOWN, you are LOVED even if none of your circumstances support this BELIEF, just believe, just receive!
      Right now, most of my circumstances don’t prove anything to me about His Love for me, but He is not a liar, He’s right there with you… Acknowledge… Recognize…
      His Presence is heaven!

• If you trust in God as you say you do then you have already escaped hell, You are never alone. by what you say it is evident that you have entertained lies, the lie that you are alone, the lie that someone other than God defines your worth, the lie that God does not respond. Maybe You do not listen, God says that he is always with you, you are never alone. You are not defined by your wife but by God , and he has placed a value on you that is priceless, the brutal death of his Son. You ask for things God does not give . Definition through a woman or man. You are a Son of the creator of the universe and there is no peace or rest in anything else, what you look for is found in this and only this.

45. hi James. Sounds as if life has been very tough for you since your wife left. I do wonder though if another relationship is the answer? In a second marriage myself with a wonderful spiritual and compatible man this time, it’s still not always a bed of roses being with someone.
    We are constantly being challenged by God to look to Him to meet all our needs and not each other. It’s only when that happens that the relationship works. No person, no matter how wonderful, can ever fulfill our needs, only God. Maybe God is loving you best by leaving you alone with Him so He can be your source of supply in every way. When that happens completely, you may find that the person does come along and then the challenge will be to stay with Him as the centre and not look to the other person. Maybe His will is for you to be HIs and His alone and if that is the case, then that would be the highest good for you.

• Yes, I’m also wondering sometimes about a certain “christian loneliness”. No later than 30 min ago I was walking my dog and I got “In everything give thanks, whatever state you’re in is a privilege, to be alone with God and be taught of Him, you can’t have it better”. It is GOOD!

46. I am always afraid of dying from poverty some day – I mean, if I die because my money runs out, doesn’t it look like money has more power on me than God? And would that also be a suicide because of my failure to do everything I can to preserve my life?

47. I have been thinking about suicide ever since a drug I took has completely taken my life away from me…I took a hairloss drug for 6 years called propecia which has done some damage to my hormones no doctor can give me help…….its worse because I look normal but internally I am far from a normal person……I am seeing that the only peace will be when I do get the courage to end my life….I am learning god is love and will forgive me…..only he can see our pain noone else….thanks for your encouraging words about gods never ending love!…

• Lukas, if you can trust God to love and forgive you, then trust God to give you his grace and peace here and now. He will. I’m praying for you!

48. Santhosh says:

What a great revealation, Paul! Through your(now ours) blog site God freed me from DIY religion and eradicted all myths that i wrongly believed. I pray that many will be get freed by the truth. God bless you..

49. I have read each comment with great interest. Why? I am this very day considering ending my life. Today. Yes I am a believer, I have accepted Christ and believe Gal 2:20 deeply.
    However the reality of my situation now leaves me no choice. I am left with nothing and no matter what I’d do, or how much faith, or time spent in the word, God is not only silent, I believe he has abandoned me.
    My beloved dog is the only reason I have not taken my life this am. God knows my circumstances, knows my deep desires, and yet he has decided to both ignore, and leave me to my own decision. How terribly desperate this is.
    I am forgiven, this is not what I wanted, I have no choice.

50. Events have developed, and now I really do have no choice. Just make final plans. Best to those of you who were able to get a response…I am alone, and now must determine how best to do this.
    Sorry to have bothered any one.
    R

• Rick, please don’t fall for the lie that says you have no choice. Jesus suffered and died to give us choices that we did not have while we were prisoners to sin. To end your own life is to insult what Christ did for you. It’s tantamount to saying, “I don’t believe Christ changed anything.” And don’t fall for the lie that says God has abandoned you. That’s from the pit of hell. Demons are telling you this – stop nodding your head in agreement. You cannot control the evil thoughts that come your way but you can choose what you will believe. So believe this: God will never abandon you and right now he is reaching out to you through me and other believers who are reading this and praying for you. Right now he is asking, “Rick, despite all that is going on, all the hurt and pain, do you believe that I care for you?” He does!

• Paul, i am a former boater. i think of the time when they were all on the boat, guys who knew boating, had fished on this very body of water, and they ran into a terrible storm…and Jesus is asleep. now as a former boater i know that a storm can be very scary, life threatening even, and so this group, with Jesus ON BOARD were all afraid of dying. Jesus woke calmed the storm, and asked about their faith…went back to sleep.
        this is me, i am faced with not only impossible odds, but the storm is worsening, and God is asleep. the only thing i do know…when there was opportunity to calm this, he watched it up.
        i have 48 hours for a miracle. otherwise i must solve this. i know or hope He will forgive me. the storm was just to big this time.

• Paul,
        I want to thank you and the other members of this blog, who have been praying with and over me. While what is going on is still quite dire, I have been filled with the spirit of Jesus, and I have felt yours and others prayers. Paul said “the effectual prayers of righteous people available much”.
        James said “we consider it pure joy to face trials of many kinds”, right now this week I have had not one piece of good news, nothing has been other than a catastrophe.
        James went on too say ” it is thru trial that the testing of our faith develops perseverance”.
        “We should in faith ask him not doubting”. I am relying on this, I am still of a. Ind that the only solution is to end my life…I mean what I am faced with over next two days simply has no answer…oh but Jesus said in Mark 5:35 “do not fear, but believe”. I am holding tight to this, and His promise that he will provide.
        Thanks again for the prayers, please I ask that you parader warriors continue praying, the enemy is still attacking.
        Prayerfully expectant,
        R

• Kathy, While we have never met, we are part of a family, so it makes you my Sister. I remember a picture that hung on the wall of my childhood home, it stated “The family that prays together stays together”. Well we are family, and you have been praying for me. It might seem trite to say…but it is true. I have felt yours and other Brothers prayers, late last night I had this overwhelming sense of peach, that only comes from the spirit of Jesus. That as a result of your prayers.
        I wish I could say all is well, it is not, and I face more hurdles than can be addressed. Ending my life still to me anyway seems the best solution. But I am surrendered, I am trusting, that Jesus will fight the battle, I am not alone. So thanks for your continued prayers…I am lifting you up as well, knowing that you to are surrendering each day.
        Praise the only true and living God,
        R

• Rick, I’ve been there. If you read through the comments you saw some earlier by me. I knew new covenant theology and all of that stuff and was still suicidal. But God saved me. I felt like there was nothing left at all, which seems the case for you also. My email is dddixon341@gmail.com, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I know firsthand that life just flat out sucks sometimes. But Jesus and his love is stronger. Much love my friend.

• Hank Barnett says:

I’m sorry, but if anything, don’t kill yourself because we would hate that and it would cause us pain to think you killed yourself. Secondly, I’ve been on rock bottom before. Believe it or not, God’s silence isn’t something I’m unaware of and have felt it before (and now). But here’s the thing: Do you think any of us feel Him constantly. Mother Theresa didn’t. Many biblical heroes didn’t,like the Judges. Jesus didn’t on the Cross. But it sounds like you’re facing more than this. Please go to the God and Science forum or email Daniel Dixon above. What you need is someone to talk too.

• Thank you Hank, for your words of encouragement. I know he dwells in my heart, and like Job states in chapter 42…with God nothing is impossible, His purpose can not be thwarted”.
        That was after all that God had allowed to happen to him.
        Maybe it is easier when you have as I have felt, hit rock bottom. When taking your own life is THE only thing left, that is the bottom. While that option still seems more desirable, His love will shine light in this dark room I am in.
        He will use this time to bring him honor and glory, when my story gets shared to someone He is reaching. You have been the example, as has Kathy, Daniel, Paul, of God using people I have never met, but who God knows intimately, to reach me. It is no accident I found this sight yesterday, that I was searching, and ready to stop this pain.
        Thank you, thank you for your prayers, they have been felt by a heightened sense of His Spirits presence.
        Your Brother,
        Rick

• Rick, you are not alone. Jesus gave his life for you because he loves you. He said he will never leave you or forsake you. He is faithful like no other. His love never fails. I believe he is giving you the thoughts for your dog. He knows you are believing a lie and yet he is reaching out to you. Submit to God, to his love, to his truth, and resist the devil and he will flee from you. You have that authority and power given to you from Jesus!

It is not that I do not believe in Jesus. He just does not have answers for me. I know he loves us, but that does not always meet up with where or what is happening. I spoke with Daniel, and told him how much what I have decided is not what I want. But there is literally no answer, not even God has an answer. I want to rest…this has been going on so long, my solu, spirit mind and heart are tired, God simply does not answer.
        I believe what David said in Psalm 37, Trust in Him…embrace faithfulness. Or what Jesus said in Mark when going to raise the little girl…Do not fear, but believe.
        Worked there, but my solution is because faith, believing has simply come up empty.

51. Rick,
    I’m praying for you now.
    I abandon reason, and leave it in the Lord’s hands
    Amen

52. This is the truth! I have given people the same answer when asked about suicide victims. Yes, the saved will be in heaven with our Lord! There is no ‘but’ to it! I’m excited to see the truth of God’s Grace connecting us in revelation! Good going Paul! I am led to start a campaign in Bangalore (India) on suicide, which is going to be a social awareness. please guys remember this initiative in your prayers. I have the will and am excited for unveiling of the way! :-)

-Susan

53. Llewellyn says:

I am grateful for everyone’s comments and support to people who feel their road has come to a dead end……but why is it I still try to find god every night I cry and beg for healing but he does not listen……I am starting to feel more now that suicide might just be what I was destined for…..I know healing will come in the spirit world where I can be nurtured……I honestly believe god will forgive those who are beyond help here on this earth……and believe me I’ve tried every night for a full year now preying for relief from symptoms of a medication that this world has poisoned me with. Today I put a rope around my neck for the first time and tired it on the light fitting on the garage……I choked a little and let go seeing if god will come and be there for me…..nothing I just thought I’m not going by hanging and letting my parents find me like this I’m finding another way now. Anyways please prey for me

• I am with you. I have been here in this site for past couple days, and believe me I have been so ready to go. I am still struggling, but I do feel His presence, and some people on this site have reassured me, as well prayed for me, and so I am trying to live in the moment. It is not quite frankly very easy, but Jesus said “why worry about tomorrow, today is what you have, tomorrow will have its day”.
      In other words, we are expected to live by faith in Him, each day, maybe moment by moment. It is much easier to feel His presence, as God told Moses, or David said in Psa. 37….BE STILL. Jesus is in you. Be still, he is with you. Be still, he loves you, Be still, He will not forsake you. But first you just need be still…He will do the heavy lifting.
      I am praying for you, that you WILL know the presence of Christ in your midst.
      Your Brother
      Rick

54. Don’t be deceived and beware of false pastors who preach about eternal security. Suicide is a sin and Christians end up in Hell, because they did this sin and dead can’t repent. You died in your sin unrepentant. Christ doesn’t care about this.

• Nothing could be further from the truth. Christ cares deeply for the last, the least, and the lost. The damnable notion that says the desperately suicidal are in danger of hell sounds hellish because that’s where it originates. I guarantee that you will find no such teaching in the Bible. This idea comes not from God but was born in the graceless heart of smug, self-righteous men.

55. I have gone through the thread and I’ve realised only comforting words are given to those suffering. I have also been contemplating suicide due to joblessness. It’s now almost two years with a zero income. I have a good education but that has not helped me get a job. I wonder what I’m doing in this world anyway. I know you’ll give me encouraging words but of course they are just words and they won’t give me a job. I know suicide won’t give me either but at least it will end my struggle and shame.

• Well there are comforting words, and then the promise of God. Jesus said “I will never leave you nor forsake you”. in my struggles, God continued to let me know how much he loves me…as he loves you…and where you are is not where you are going to end the journey of purpose God has for you. Psalms 37 states…”Fret not…Be still before the Lord, wait patiently for Him. God has the job and is going to bring it to you. Surrender this to HIm, he will not i promise you, HE will not leave you. He has a mighty plan for your life.
      i am lifting you up even now.

• And how many of your family will you be dooming to a life of emotional sorrow and agony just because your tired of being broke!?!!? I’ve been deeply depressed before and your excuses sounds flippant and paltry. Yeah I know about being broke too. Right now the only way we are surviving is from the government and family handouts. No one here wants “out”. I can’t encourage someone who does not sound depressed but who is wallowing in a pity party. Life is more than dollar signs and employment. If your entire self worth is wrapped up in your credentials, employment and finances you have my extreme sympathy because that is sad shallow way to live.
      Watch the Passion of the Christ movie. While Jesus is suffering tell yourself that He did that for you, broke, unemployed, empty you. He knew what you are when no one is looking and He still did it just for you. He loves you that much. He doesn’t want you to waste His gift by giving up over temporary things that don’t end up meaning much anyway. Surround yourself with positive bible truth teachers and don’t quit until you believe it too!

56. What good is Grace if it’s only ever perceived and read about in comments and scripture but never personally and intimately experienced?…

Where is the God that runs out to the child coming home? Who sees him/her from far off and RUNS out to them. Takes the initiative of Love and proves himself to his child in a way that sending a letter of words to that child in their rotten life instead, could never do what that act of Love did?

Yet these are just more words and Jesus is reading this as I type and yet I’m lost in just longing for that experience. Use my life however you want Jesus, Father, but just only this, deliver me, set me free to actually live, Run out to me and wrap your arms around me as I’m broken and so weary. Father, prove yourself to me so that there will be no room left for doubt anymore and so ultimately LOVE can reign in my life.

• hi Benjamin,praying for you and just want to encourage you that i think you are on the right path,crying out to Jesus.Also want to encourage you to not under estimate words.Words are powerful.Your words are powerful…they grip me and inspire me to be more like Jesus.

• Daryl, I wonder if you would have been inspired if you had read the unedited version of my post instead. Anyways, at least something good came out of them.

• Benjamin, I have felt the desperation and longing that I hear in your comments. I understand your feelings. I imagine most of us have felt this way from time to time even though we don’t always talk about it. Having experienced this lost feeling and made it through the woods to the other side I would like to share The hope that comes with making it to the other side with you and how you might find the light to do the same. With that said I am not at all not making light or trite your comments about an intimate God on paper and wondering where that same God is in life. But you can be encouraged by the fact that it has been put to paper and is an expression of the genuinely real experience that is available for you to have with the father. That was the purpose to express to you and us that desire of the father.
      The longing you have is evidence of the wooing of Jesus in your life. He is calling you to a deeper experience with him. That longing can be expressed one of two ways. The way most common is a disappointment in God. That he has not reached out and satisfied me with an intimate experience. Emotions are like little fuel cells that attach themselves to Our beliefs and thought process. They supercharge these and drive us quickly to an end result. Good emotions Come from good beliefs of something good about to happen to us and they supercharge and energize us. Bad or negative emotions Spring from beliefs or thought processes that bad things are about to happen to us becoming energized by fear.
      Begin by taking the longing that you have an connecting it with faith. The believe that God is good and has good things for you and has designed an intimate relationship with you. The lack of this good perception of God is the only thing that stops the process. When we buy into the lie that because we don’t have it God must not be willing to give it.
      The experience that you long for comes to someone who hears the good news of what the father did with Jesus; That by sending Jesus to die and suffer and destroy what separated us from him. When you realize this and it’s connected with your longing for the reality of God, Jesus joins himself with us and we become a new person. It’s a real experience; that’s what I experienced. We can’t make God do anything but by realizing that he’s already done something; something so powerful that when you consciously or unconsciously connect his goodness with this event and invite him in you can receive what you have been longing for. Intimacy. As you allow the good news mentioned in the Scriptures to wash through your mind and begin to see this incredible goodness, stated through the expectation that God has done and will continue to do good things for me and with me,as this becomes foremost, Joy, as evidence of his presence , is right around the corner! All this is a gift to be received and not intellectual manipulation.

• Well i wish i could get an email to my friend Daniel Dixon…i lost my ipad in an accident few months ago and have not been in contact with him since.
        he was a stalwart in my journey over the last few moths, so if any of you hear from him let him know, try as he did, i lost the fight.
        the experience of Jesus has been very powerful in my life, i am a believer, and i do see his power in so many touched lives. i have been as well touched by him, but i am sad to report i am have lost the battle, the enemy has now convinced my that while my circumstances continue to denegrate, there is nothing God can do for or thru me now.
        no more pop soda from Joel Olsteen, no more good vibrations from my church…the last place on to go for help i might add.
        loving God, studying his word, surrendering, and persevering are simply not enough in some cases.
        i am trying to get everything i have left…and i have truly lost everything…to someone or a charity. my beloved dog? well i was finally made to give the last breathing thing on this earth that loved me. Some God eh?
        He promised some things…like never leaving or forsaking us. he promised an abundant life, He promised life to the fullest, and He stated Fret NOt know that I am GOD.
        i wish he had promised i would not have every single opportunity on this side to have even a remote chance…so every single opportunity is now gone.
        My Girlfriend…well such as that is…gave me a cup that got broken last week. it said “Never, ever, ever Give up” Winston Churchill. well not til it is over anyways.
        Best to all and to all a good night.
        You will be blessed best, when you know God has blessing for you.

• WOW…this was not written to me, but it sure was written for me. Thank you for being present to bring forth a word to me direct from Jesus. what a tremendous inspiration, to those of us who get so very caught up in the lie. We believe a lie long before we accept truth sometimes…and I wish I knew why. The power of an ALMIGHTY God that loves us as described in both His word to us, and your letter, is truth i wish to receive, and live out of.
        Thanks so very very much.

57. Rick. You are basing your life on the condition that you must succeed. Christ already succeeded. Today I had the terrifying feeling waking up this morning that all my desire to look and be righteous in this world, to live even up to the standards of grace preaching and nursing, were made to seem impossible. It was then in my failure, that I realized that as precious as it that Christ died of the world, even sweeter to whisper that he died for me. God did not die for the gospel, but for me. Yes it is good to build yourself in a positive way, (I attend Joel Osteen’s church), but have you noticed that we fight fear so often with faith when the Bible says it is love that overcomes fear. You should read One Way Love, a book by someone who was a failure in life yet expected to be great who was condemned by the ministry of Law, but loved in the ministry of (surprise!) grace. I am speaking of Billy Graham’s grandson who could not live up to his own standards of success or meet his parents desire for success – a desire that is in every one of us. When I read that to MY mom, she was freed from the prison of works. And so was I. God does not sit on a thrown of Law. He lives on a thrown of Grace. That’s what the Bible says and no matter what I am not going to be defined by my choices or behavior. I am defined by Father’s great love for me. I am His beloved. You are one with the Lord, and the Lord is not 100% sinful, He’s not even 1% sinful. That makes you 100% righteous. The Law: No one is righteous. The verdict: No one is righteous. The gospel: Jesus is our righteousness. You may feel like an unholy mess, but the Holy Spirit lives inside of you. You must be holy! Rest in the unmistakeable knowledge that the only one who can condemn, does not condemn you. He loves you bunches! And He’s with you. He’s with you, because He’s in you. Even if God seems like he’s on vacation to Mars, it’s only a feeling because the fact is He’s in you! Jesus is in you.

• Roshan, I want to thank you so very much for expressing something I had forgotten over the past few weeks and months. I have pushed Jesus aside in order to satisfy a personal need. Problem being i still Love her…but have pushed a dagger thru it. She still also loves me, but the timing is not right. Even when that need was met with disaster at times I would not give up on what it was doing for me, and that I felt was coming from God. The enemy was telling me i deserved this, and i needed it so very badly, it was a gift. It may have been or still may be, but not in this circumstance or this time for either of us, and this was more than evident.
      The enemy is good, he rolls thru our desires and then gives us what we believe we want so much, and then he poisons it. My issues of anger and temper rage thru me like a ravenous bear, destroying everything around me. that is the curse of satan.
      But where is God? How come he seems so distant, how come no matter what I do he will no longer let me make a living or even live? Why then am I here and having to rely on friends, as this seems so very disrespectful to and for them, and i have some really awesome friends…yet God seems determined to keep every blessing of work as reward…i do have work to do…at arms length. This makes me feel that ending my life is the best course, no more loss, no more anger, no more lost love, or lies, or deceit, or taking. God has reduced me to nothing…what can be done with that????
      This…Whatever deal I have made with myself I am ripping it up. Its just you and me Jesus, and that will be exactly enough. Now Lord…LEAD ME.
      my prayers today are specific…shelter, work, money. God will provide.
      “God takes full responsibility for the life fully yielded to Him”. Dr. C Stanley
      Please pray for this broken heart and bottomed out hunk of life. If God had no purpose…He would have taken me home by now. He has a blessing for me. I must believe it.

58. I hate to say it, but I think of suicide almost every day. I have been miss judged, slandered, abused, belittled, bullied, since 1st grade. and now shunned by my own brother. I used to be strong, and stand up for myself, but the older I get, the less fight I have in me. after 48 years of negatives thrown your way, you figure whats the point. God has denied me children, and taken away, all that gave me unconditional love. all that is left, are the people that have rejected me. I am not abusive, never stole, very rarely lie, only so I would not hurt some ones feelings. I try to find reasons to live, but with no children, I feel like I am just taking up a space, that someone with a family should have. I have ask God for help, but I get no answers, I think the only reason I am living, is that I am a coward, and can not bring my self to end my life.