Wommackisms – Top 20 Andrew Wommack Quotes
If you’ve ever heard Andrew Wommack speak, you will know that he is one unique hombre. I’m not just referring to his theology – there’s a growing number of people preaching pure grace these days. I’m referring to the way he speaks.
I say this with the utmost respect, but Wommack has mastered the art of sounding like a country hick. And before you write in to complain, let me say that’s his word not mine:
“God chose the foolish things of the world to confound the wise… because people who are foolish… trust in God the most… God often uses country hicks to preach the Gospel for that very reason. I guarantee you, when you’re a hick from Texas like me, then you know it’s got to be God on your behalf or you haven’t got a chance. And there’s freedom in that!” (The True Nature of God, pp.98-9)
This time a year ago I had never heard Wommack preach. I’ve now heard him speak several times and I’ve read many of his books. He’s become one of my favorite Bible teachers.
Although I was startled by his manner at first, I’ve come to appreciate his colloquialisms and his down-home wisdom. If you’ve grown up on a diet of religious mumbo-jumbo, you may find his plainspokenness quite refreshing.
To give you a taste, here are 20 of my favorite Wommackisms:
1. “If you’d just center your thoughts and affections upon the Lord, you’d be better of accidentally than you’ve ever been on purpose!” (A Better Way to Pray, p.84)
2. “Many Christians believe that the only difference between the Old Testament and the New is one blank page in the Bible.” (A Better Way to Pray, p.46)
3. “God’s anointing is not based on your performance, but if you don’t open the Word, you’re stupid, because that’s where the words of life are.” (The True Nature of God, p.99)
4. “When I minister healing to someone, I’ll pray for them two, three, four, or more times. I don’t care! I’m willing to pray for them until I rub all the hair off of their head!” (A Better Way to Pray, p.125)
5. “Many believers haven’t seen the devil or a demon in years. He doesn’t have to come around. You’re doing a perfect job ruining your own life. He taught you how to think and act, and you’ve run with it from there – with good intentions. You’re trying to live for God, but it’s you doing it in human strength rather than God living through you.” (Grace – The Power of the Gospel, p.127)
6. “Contrary to popular belief, faith does not move God. He’s not the one who’s stuck!” (A Better Way to Pray, p.44)
7. “Some people are waiting until the Holy Spirit just makes them throw their hands up in the air because they’ve never done it before. ‘Well, I just don’t feel led.’ You old carnal thing!” (Grace – The Power of the Gospel, p.138)
8. “What a sorry attitude! If I were God, the spirit of slap would come all over me!” (A Better Way to Pray, p.63)
9. “It’s a wonder you’re not a pile of ashes! The only reason God’s not ticked off at you is because Jesus did such an effective job.” (A Better Way to Pray, p.59)
10. “You have this new spirit on the inside of you and the only thing holding you back is your ‘stinkin’ thinkin’.” (Grace – The Power of the Gospel, p.161)
11. “God is El Shaddai, not El Cheapo. The Lord will take care of us better than we take care of ourselves.” (Article: Financial Stewardship)
12. “When it comes to being born again, your soul wasn’t the part of you that completely changed! If you were stupid before you were saved, you’re still stupid after being saved.” (Spirit, Soul, and Body, p.6)
13. “When my wife and I first started out in ministry, we were so poor we couldn’t even pay attention!” (You’ve Already Got It, p.16)
14. “One of the things I’ve learned is that many Christians never let the Bible get in the way of what they believe.” (Article: Hebrews Highlights)
15. “In Genesis, why didn’t the devil choose a tiger?… Why didn’t he have a wooly mammoth just stick its foot on top of her head and demand, ‘Eat the fruit or I’ll crush your skull?’” (You’ve Already Got It, p.115)
16. “The devil isn’t a true lion; he just walks around roaring like one trying to intimidate the Body of Christ. But the truth is, he’s had his teeth pulled, and all he can do now is gum you.” (You’ve Already Got It, p.120)
17. “If you never bump into the devil, it’s because you’re going in the same direction.” (Article: How to Be Happy)
18. “It’s wrong, wrong, wrong!” (You’ve Already Got It, p.150, when discussing spiritual mapping and missions trips where people have been instructed not to preach the gospel)
19. “Most Christians say, ‘Well, I’m only human, you know. I’m just a man.’ That’s stinkin’ thinkin’! I was only human, but then I became born again. There’s part of me now that’s wall-to-wall Holy Ghost.” (You’ve Already Got It, p.167)
20. “That’ll put a shout in a fence post!” (You’ve Already Got It, p.28)
I know there are a lot of Wommack fans out there. In the comments below tell me your favorite Wommackism.
Some of my favorites:
“Thanks for the thundering Silence”
“The sovereignty of God which is defined as God controlling Everything, that nothing happens except what God allows, is one of the Deadliest Deception /Doctrine in the body of Christ.”
“You have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired. As long as you can stay broke, sick and poor…You will”
“If you have never faced persecution before it means your ungodly”
My favourite: Don’t bother me now, Lord. I’m reading the Word!
The devil will eat your lunch and pop the bag.
One of my favorite sayings from Andrew:
“Smoking won’t send you to hell…you’ll just ‘smell’ like you’ve been there.”
I love Andrew’s teaching, and my favorite quote is “Some people get all they can, then can all they get, and then sit on the can.”
Thanks, I needed that laugh! I think Andrew Wommack’s book, “A Better Way To Pray” is the best book about prayer that I’ve ever read. Therefore, my favorite: “What a sorry attitude! If I were God, the spirit of slap would come all over me!” (A Better Way to Pray, p.63)..
I love it when Andrew continually refers to his own comments as dynamite, awesome, or his favorite word powerful.
This was published in 2011, today is Monday, June 3, 2019. I hope the article is still open for comments. Here goes…my favorite Womack-ism is “How dumb can you get and still breathe.” Andrew Wommack is one of the best Bible teachers of this day. I love his teachings and am blessed by them. I have purchased 30 of his books including a pre-order on kindle format. He is so down to earth and easy to understand. His TV show, where he is sitting with his little old Bible, looking right at the camera, makes you feel like he is in your living room speaking to you. I just love him…🤗
A true bible teacher of our time!!!
” I’m preachin’ better than you’re listenin’ “
How great that a nine-year-old post is still getting such appreciative, enthusiastic replies! That says everything good about the man and his (awesome) way of putting God’s truth. I like the story about younger Andrew’s revelation after he decided to pray for two hours every day, which goes something like: “One day I said to the Lord, ‘Lord, You know I love spending time with You, but I’m just not looking forward to this.’ And the Lord said, ‘I know, Andrew. Me neither – in fact, I’m dreading it!'” I like “falling apart like a two-dollar suitcase” too, and his description of a friend’s faithful wife who was “stronger than a field of garlic,” “If you don’t bump into the devil, it’s because you’re going in the same direction,” and “I may not have arrived, but I sure have left.” I have learned so much from Andrew’s teaching: “Man, that is a powerful truth right there. I tell you, you need to get what this is saying; it’ll change your life.” Exactly!
O.M.G. Brilliant! I haven’t laughed this hard in a long time. Thank you Paul, thank you for writing this article. After I read the comments I went and watched one sermon of his, ‘A better way to pray’ and I have been dying here of laughter and it’s only thirty minutes in! This is great! God bless you all for your love of this man!
One of my favorite is “Well, if you don’t believe this, just go ahead and tear this page out of the Bible.”
You can put the Bible on your head until it rubs all your hair off, if you don’t get the word of the pages of the Bible into your heart, it will be of no power to you.
Thank God for Andrew Wommack, he is a blessing! Trough his teachings i learned how to receive healing, i understood the meaning of grace and faith! I understood how much God loves us, how much gratitude we have when we have the revelation that we were saved, forgiven, healed, blessed and we are “free indeed” and can say “i am the righneous of God in Christ”. Praise the Lord! God bless you all!
Hi…just started listening to Brother Wommack’s CDs at a Bible Study. I was writing down some of his “Wommackisms” in my notes, and felt there “had to be MORE”…so I “googled” Andrew Wommackisms and found this blog! I’ve enjoyed reading the entire thing! THANK YOU ALL for your posts!
I know, he’s pretty funny! I want to buy a mug that I definitely do not need, from Amazon.
It has one of his Wommackisms that says says, I would agree with you but we would both be wrong, lol.
I love his books too. 🙂
one of the most useful life changing points Andrew makes that i consciously remember is that if we do not put our integrity behind our own words, we’ll never believe God’s trustworthy words. I try to follow through every single time i speak to others; it has made me believe God’s Word so much more… I now pray and believe God’s Words and I cast out sicknesses and evil spirits regularly for others, family, etc and they don’t yet know my prayer is effective for them.