Grace is the good news that a sick and dying world needs to hear.
Grace is what God’s love looks like from our side. Grace is love come down.
I am addicted to grace. I can honestly say I would rather not live if I can’t have it and I would be dead without it. It is God’s grace that has brought me (and you) safe thus far and grace will lead us all the way home.
I collect quotes on grace. Here are 12 of my favorites. Enjoy!
1. “Grace is not a theology. It is not a subject matter. It is not a doctrine. It is a person, and his name is Jesus. That’s the reason the Lord wants you to receive the abundance of grace, for to have the abundance of grace is to have the abundance of Jesus.” ~ Joseph Prince, Destined to Reign, p.24
2. “Grace means that God does something for me; law means that I do something for God. God has certain holy and righteous demands which he places upon me: that is law. Now if law means that God requires something of me for their fulfillment, then deliverance from law means he no longer requires that from me, but himself provides it.” ~ Watchman Nee, The Normal Christian Life, p.155-6.
3. “Grace is the voice that calls us to change and gives us the power to pull it off.” ~ Max Lucado, Grace, p.8
4. “The gospel of grace nullifies our adulation of televangelists, charismatic superstars, and local church heroes. It obliterates the two-class citizenship theory operative in many American churches. For grace proclaims the awesome truth that all is a gift. All that is good is ours not by right but by the sheer bounty of a gracious God. While there is much we may have earned – our degree and our salary, our home and garden, a Miller Lite and a good night’s sleep – all this is possible only because we have been given so much: life itself, eyes to see and hands to touch, a mind to shape ideas, and a heart to beat with love. We have been given God in our souls and Christ in our flesh. We have the power to believe where others deny, to hope where others despair, to love where others hurt. This and so much more is sheer gift; it is not reward for our faithfulness, our generous disposition, or our heroic life of prayer. Even our fidelity is a gift.”~ Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel, pp.26-7.
5. “Grace is a system of living whereby God blesses us because we are in Jesus Christ, and for no other reason at all.” ~Steve McVey, Grace Rules, p.147.
6. “If heaven were by merit, it would never be heaven to me, for if I were in it I should say, ‘I am sure I am here by mistake; I am sure this is not my place; I have no claim to it.’ But if it be of grace and not of works, then we may walk into heaven with boldness.” ~ Charles Spurgeon
7. “The ministry of the law, which rightly condemned me, brought out my failures, but the ministry of the Spirit brings out His success.” ~ Ralph Harris, God’s Astounding Opinion of You, p.77.
8. “If a drunk comes to a service… (it’s) ‘Brother, God loves you.’… But woe to that drunk if he comes back drunk after being saved. God loved him when he was a sinner and drunk, but if he’s born again and he’s still drunk – God forbid! Most Christians would not offer the same kind of unconditional love. Doesn’t something seem inconsistent about that? Grace is not just for the lost. Christians must live by grace too.” ~Andrew Wommack, The True Nature of God, p.78
9. “Grace is a message of unconditional love from the Father of the universe. It’s the free offer of the eternal life. And we can experience it all in the gritty now as well as in the sweet by and by.” – Dudley Hall, Grace Works, p.11.
10. “It is grace at the beginning, and grace at the end. So that when you and I come to lie upon our death beds, the one thing that should comfort and help and strengthen us there is the thing that helped us in the beginning. Not what we have been, not what we have done, but the Grace of God in Jesus Christ our Lord. The Christian life starts with grace, it must continue with grace, it ends with grace. Grace wondrous grace. By the grace of God I am what I am. Yet not I, but the Grace of God which was with me.”~ D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981)
11. “Amazing grace! How sweet the sound, That saved a wretch like me! I once was lost but now am found, Was blind but now I see… Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; ‘Tis grace has brought me safe thus far, and grace will lead me home.”~ John Newton (1725-1807)
12. “By entering through faith into what God has always wanted to do for us – set us right with him, make us fit for him – we have it all together with God because of our Master Jesus. And that’s not all: We throw open our doors to God and discover at the same moment that he has already thrown open his door to us. We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand – out in the wide open spaces of God’s grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise.” ~ Paul of Tarsus, Romans 5:1-2, MSG
I promised you 12 quotes on grace and I gave you 12. But since grace is about getting what we don’t deserve, here’s a bonus quote. I saved the best for last. This is my all-time favorite quote on the subject of grace:
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” ~ Jesus Christ, Matthew 11:28-30, MSG
Whew! That is awesome. When Jesus preaches on grace and you receive it, it’s the sweetest thing.
If you have a favorite quote on the subject of grace, let us know below.
Get grace by email. No spam, we promise.