Speak to Your Mountain

I spent much of my life praying in vain for the sick. Only a few of those I prayed for ever got healed. But in the last couple of years I have begun to discover why my prayers were so powerless. I now realize that what I thought was faith was nothing more than wishful thinking. In short, I have learned that there is a difference between the Biblical way to pray and the way I used to pray. I’ve changed the way I pray and the results speak for themselves. I’m not yet healing every one, but by the grace of God I’m on my way!

I have had many good teachers but much of what I write here has been inspired by Andrew Wommack’s helpful book, A Better Way to Pray. If you want to dig deeper or if you have questions, I strongly recommend that you get a hold of this book.

In Part 1 of this study I outlined five contrasts between the traditional and Biblical ways to pray. Probably the most important lesson I have learned so far, is that Jesus wants us to speak directly to our mountains.

“Have faith in God,” Jesus answered.  “I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” (Mk 11:22-24)

When you are faced with a mountain-sized problem, the temptation is to run and tell God all about it. But He already knows about your problem and He’s already provided everything you need to overcome it. Perhaps you need healing. He has already provided it (1 Pe 2:24). Perhaps you need finances. Already done (2 Co 8:9). As usual, your heavenly Father is a million steps ahead of you.

Don’t talk to God about your mountain; talk to your mountain about God! Okay, so what do you say? How do you talk to a mountain? Well you could talk about your mighty King whose name is above every name (Ph 2:9). Your mountain has a name. Cancer has a name. Depression has a name. God has commanded that all these things must bow to the name of Jesus (Ph 2:10). Wommack suggests you could pray like this:

“Father, thank You that Your name is above every name… These things the doctor told me are in my body have names. You are above them all! Thank You that You are greater, stronger, and more powerful than all of this.” (pp.33-34)

Notice how we have begun by focusing on our mighty Father and not the problem. In small groups there is a temptation to gather around our problems, but in that way lies death. We are to gather around the name of Jesus. Sometimes this is not easy! When we’ve heard bad news there is often a battle between fear and faith. We have to strive to enter His rest. But don’t pray while you are full of fear. Fear will get you speaking worry and negativity turning your prayers into words of death. “What he says will happen,” said Jesus. So watch your words and take care where you put your faith.

The best thing to do with your anxieties is cast them on the Lord (Ps 55:22). Fortify your mind by declaring God’s promises to yourself. When I’m battling with a bad report my two favorite words are, “Surely He…” (Is 53:4). He surely did! Praise Him for it. Then when faith has risen in your heart, you are ready to deal with the problem:

“Father, this is so small in comparison to what You’re able to do. I shouldn’t even have to ask, but the doctor did say I’m going to die. So since Jesus has already provided my healing, I’ll just receive it!” (p.34)

can't_healTraditional: Faith moves God.
Biblical: Faith moves mountains.

God has supplied everything you need by grace (Eph 1:3). Faith doesn’t move God to do what He’s already done; faith moves mountains. Praise the Lord for carrying all your infirmities on the cross and then command your mountain to bow to Jesus. Jesus said all authority on heaven and earth had been given to Him (Mt 28:18). He has jurisdiction everywhere and there is no place your mountain can hide from His authority. The problem you are confronting may be the result of a generational curse, bad DNA, bad behavior or whatever. It doesn’t matter. Jesus is Lord. Period. When we pray in Jesus’ name, we are re-presenting His cross-wrought victory and His irresistible authority:

“I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.” (Lk 10:19)

Have faith in God and speak to your mountain! “Rebuke with all authority” (Tit 2:15) and send it into the sea.

In Part 3 of this study, I want to look at how we can respond when our prayers seem to go unanswered. Stay tuned!

49 Comments on Speak to Your Mountain

1. betty mcmahon // March 10, 2011 at 7:15 pm // Reply

Thank you for that word. My mom let me read this and I would like to get these sent to my email also. As of this moment on I will speak with authority and my faith has grown. thank you Jesus for sending me this

• HI Betty,
      Good to hear from you. To subscribe, you need to enter your email address in the subscription box that you see at the top of the sidebar on the right side of the page. If your Mom has already subscribed using the same computer, there will be a message saying “You are subscribed to this blog.” In this case you may need to subscribe from a different computer.

2. Mike Laabs // March 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm // Reply

Hi Paul,

You are completely right. I passed on that book to some people who are able to understand English too.
    Some of them took issue on the title. But all Andrew is saying is absolutely biblical there. Meanwhile I am in the process of getting hold of the truth what it means to be and to have in Christ. I think at the end it comes all down to the sentence “it is finnished”. We are complete in Him, have the fullness. Thinking, talking and acting in line with God like Jesus did here on earth is just a natural result of understanding what Christ did.

In that sense; knowing God. I really appreciate your postings!
    Much love
    Mike

3. Great stuff Paul! I can see this series blessing me and other greatly. I just have to read the book! Looking forward to your next post on this!

4. Bobfromchicago // March 12, 2011 at 2:47 am // Reply

Paul, thank you for the intriguing concept. I just reread the story of Lazarus in the book of John, chap 11. Jesus prays, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me.” Then he speaks to Lazarus…”Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth!

Wow!

• I love that story too, for so many reasons. Perhaps I should start a new series entitled, “Speak to Your Corpse!” As Paul said to the Corinthians, we trust in a God who raises the dead!

5. These posts are awesome…this is what we need on facebook…the truth. Bless you. Look forward to more posts and have shared several on facebook. I live in Redding and go to Bethel…Pastor Bill Johnson.🙂

• Thanks Paula! I appreciate the feedback.

• Linde Nicolay // May 14, 2011 at 11:06 am //

I have come across your site here Paul and am so grateful God has led me to you. Also, for all the comments of everyone else. Those posts are so helping me. I love the teachings of Joseph Prince and Andrew Wommack. It’s wonderful that you teach us through those Posts. Paul, you are a mighty Man of God and thank you again for sharing His Words with us. I am 70 in 2 years, but am being set FREE from all sorts of bondages. Thank you God. Thank you Paul.

6. I know that the issue of faith has become a hot topic in the body of Christ. People seem to share a different point of view as far as this issue is concerned. A huge segment in the body of Christ will always say that, you should only pray to God about your problem. They tend to condemn the teaching of speaking to your mountain. They also tend to label those who are preaching that kind of teaching as “The Name it and claim it Klan“.

But, at the same time when reading the Bible in two different occasions, it seems that’s exactly what Jesus suggested people to do to talk your mountain, if they have faith. Here are two scriptures: Matthew 17:20 and Matthew 21:21-22. It’s clear that Jesus agrees with that, but at the same time there are lots of preacher who adamantly oppose it.

What do you think?

7. Why do people that talk about the power of prayer never mention details. You talk of healing. Who was healed and what were they healed of. The biblical accounts detail healing. If you cannot give all details then please email one case study of prayer providing healing. If you stand by your teaching this should not be a problem (bergenus@gmail.com)

• Hi Paul,
      You ask a fair question. The reason I don’t talk more about healing is, frankly, I don’t meet many sick people. I really need to get out more. In the past few months I have only prayed for two people outside of my family. One guy had a smashed in head after a bad accident, was in ICU and probably going to die. I prayed and he lives. Last I heard he was expected to make a full recovery, though he’ll have a metal plate in his head. Another man had knee pain for 30-odd years. I commanded the pain to leave and it left immediately. He was thrilled. When he rolled up his trousers I asked him if he was missing cartilage. He said he was. So I prayed for that and within a minute he was running up and down the stairs and grinning from ear to ear. On the home front we’ve seen a few instantaneous healings (i.e., less than 2 minutes) but we’ve also seen other things persist, so we’re not yet hitting 100%. I had a sports hernia that was giving me hell. My wife laid hands on me and it left immediately. Oh man, that was a good day!

• Paul Bergen // November 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm //

Thanks for extra info. I think all testimonies of healings should be accompanied by detailed accounts of what was healed and who was healed. Names of people, dates, location and contact details should be included. Medical records should be made available too. There are simply way too many well intentioned Christians who are simply lying about these occurences. Many, many stories but we have no means of verifying any of them. Cancers spontaneously regress, or doctors do all the work and it is claimed as a healing. If God is still healing in this time then it should be broadcast on every news channel in every country! And in order for this to happen details must be made available. If God is not healing than so be it, having faith does not mean that we have to be delusional.

• No argument here. I taught the scientific method for 15 years. I’ve published case study research in top tier academic journals. I know the importance of maintaining a chain of evidence, developing an audit trail, and entertaining alternative plausible hypotheses. No doubt there are charlatans out there. If you have one phony healing in ten it makes the other nine look dubious and gives healing a bad name. I am vaguely aware that there are ministries out there that do maintain these sorts of records – you could do a web search. I’ve heard that at Bethel Church in Redding CA, they have a full-time staff member who’s job is recording the miracles. When I saw him preach recently Bill Johnson showed a before and after brain scan of a lady that had been miraculously healed.

But I suspect the reason records aren’t kept is because people in the practice of healing the sick are too busy getting on with it. They don’t give a rip whether others are skeptical or not. They’ve got a long line of happy, rejoicing people behind them. Plus, when you have personally experienced healing – as I have – your need for further proof of God’s grace and power rapidly diminishes. How can you deny what you have experienced?

I guess the bottom line is this: Keep an open mind and don’t let natural unbelief rob you of what Christ paid for. Some need to see before they believe. Blessed are those who believe without first seeing. I encourage you to take a risk.

• Wow I can not believe that you say what you do. I can tell you several miracles in my life and would love to share them but the rule unfortunately is <250 words. Email me at michael222nurse@live.com and I will tell you stuff that the highway patrol could hardly believe. He works miracles esp in people who get off the track in life, a doctor doesn't need the well, and God doesn't need to change the life of a believer. Though 2 degrees ,a social worker and a RN, I got off track in life, and he saved my life in no uncertain terms, with the holy ghost upon me. Email me. , I love tell the story. I will die for the Lord, and though I have terminal illness with a year or so to live, I am the happiest man on earth knowing He saved my life, and sent the Holy Ghost upon me that spoke to me not once but twice, I feel very bad and sad for nonbelievers as you will feel what I feel. Michael

8. Ambar Samtani // April 17, 2012 at 9:19 am // Reply

My mother got cancer and dr said last few months, but I beleave in the lords report & by Jesus stripes my mother is cured and healed . Amen

9. I am Spiritual growing through your teachings.

10. Hi Paul
    I’ve received many answers to questions that seemed so difficult to answer. Praise God. However u did mention something in ur article that the problem we face sometimes could be a result of generational curses. As a child of God can I still be under a generational curse. Cause I believe otherwise. Jesus said on the cross It is FINISHED. He did a complete job. So wouldn’t He have taken every curse to the cross too. Once I accept Him as my Lord n Saviour am I not a new creation.

God bless
    Desiree

• I was being flippant. My point is not where your problem has come from, or where you think your problem has come from, but that the remedy is the same. Sometimes we get so caught up on diagnosing the problem (Why do you think that is?) that we neglect to take the problem to Dr. Jesus. My point is that Jesus is Lord of all. Every problem must bow to his name.

11. You stated that we are to heal the sick. How do we do this? Please instruct.

12. LOVE the article. LOVE hearing TRUTH! One thing…. I’m not convinced generational curses exist in the new covenant. You mention those here:

“The problem you are confronting may be the result of a generational curse, bad DNA, bad behavior or whatever. It doesn’t matter. Jesus is Lord. Period.”

In the grand scheme, I agree that the problem (whatever it is) is irrelevant because Jesus is Lord. However, I would like to ask, do you believe generational curses actually exist? If so, why?

I would really like to understand this better. Thank you for considering my question.

13. Paul, Again curious as to your statement concerning “watch your words.” I think I understand the context but learned to not assume anymore. So my question is do you believe we have the power to “create?” For example when if you were ask how you feel and said something like “my head is beginning to hurt” they would respond with “don’t say that” believing that you can cause sickness to come on you.

• No, that’s unreal (and daft). I mean, don’t speak negative things over yourself. Don’t say, “I have a lump? It must be cancer. I’m going to die!” That’s articulating fear. Definitely go to the doctor and get it checked out but while you’re doing that speak confidently of Jesus your healer. “I have a lump? That can’t be good. But Jesus is greater than this lump! This lump needs to go. Lump, leave.” Something like that. (And no, that’s not a formula – just an example.) Geddit?

• Yeah we are on the same page. Thanks. It just seems many, not you please, go to extremes one way or the other. And since I just came across your site figured it doesn’t hurt to ask if I don’t know! Btw my story (just a little of it) is 4 years ago we took a sabatical due to health issues I put my body through over 24 years of ministry. God said to me I will heal you during this time. Glad to report He ALWAYS does what he says! But still would like prayer for lower back if you would. Pray for continued revelation by the Holy Spirit as you write. Thanks.

• That’s very interesting Doug. It seems we have something in common. About 5 years ago we took a sabbatical due to health issues and after a long spell in ministry. (I suspect it’s a common story.) I’m praying for your back. Be blessed!

• Is it really that simple?We all know good Christians who have died after a severe illness and who believed God was going to heal them?Are you saying that they had a failure of faith or did not apply the correct formula?I have,as it were,spoken to some of my mountains in the same manner you advise and found it did not seem to work?

• I would never say that just as I would never blame God.

14. I appreciate the Lord

15. I don’t think the issue is that God doesn’t heal….He does….that’s a given….but what is in question (IMHO) is theology….it is our faith that heals us, not so much as someone else’s….
    too many (IMO) have made my God a Wal-Mart god, meaning that if they do this or that, God will deliver….again, not disputing God’s sovereignty and Divine will…..it is catching through out the Christian community, especially the young believers…..that’s the danger….over the coarse of many years I’ve seen many fall away from discouragement and never to return….IMO that is why we must be careful on instituting as “speaking to your mountains”…..there is no concrete formula for healing otherwise God would not be God!

16. I really enjoyed this reading , it reminds me of a time when God spoke to me . I was thinking about the time when Jesus was in the wilderness & fasting , he defeated Satan by the spoken word , while thinking on this God asked me ” you remember the roman centurion? The reason he ( roman centurion) didn’t ask me to lay hands on his servant , is because he had been speaking my word for a long time ” it was all I could do not to shout while I was at work .

17. Judah Emory // March 7, 2015 at 11:02 am // Reply

that #stuffjesusneversaid stuff is so true i read alot of them on facebook they are so funny. you find the most awesome stuff Paul.

18. Judah Emory // March 7, 2015 at 2:39 pm // Reply

In October 2014 I had a bad bruze on my toe. it was all purple and it did not look good. Well into the shower and I was looking at my toe and I said in the name of Jesus toe line up with the word of god. and I also said when I get this bar of soap in my hand and rub it on my bruzed foot it is going to feel and look better in the name of jesus I declare it. And right after I rubbed it with the bar of soap all the swelling and purple went away that very moment and i shouted praise the lord thank you Jesus. that is the power of speaking to your mountain!

19. Paul I hear what you are saying about not blaming God or the person but is it really that simple that you can make cancer or any other problem eg financial hardship just go away just by speaking it?

• It’s not about the words, but faith. Jesus said, “These signs will follow those who believe.” But as you know, faith without action is useless. Speaking what we believe is one of the easiest ways to put faith into action.

• Judah Emory // March 10, 2015 at 8:07 am //

That is absolutely right Paul.

• Hi Paul- I’m trying to get my head around speaking to mountains- faith and not disrespecting god. I get caught up in the not clinging to life and the verses on not twisting verses to what our itching ears want to hear. I want to believe God for healing but want to be sure I’m following His word correctly

• I encourage you to check out the book, A Better Way to Pray. It will answer many of your questions.

20. Christopher Irungu // July 20, 2015 at 1:41 pm // Reply

God is bigger than our mountain. Would love to have this in my Email and other great teachings.

21. I have had numerous instantaneously miracles happen, some big, some small, but to know you have that when you need it is so awesome. I have a lot of Andrew’s material and it has taken me from a man made religion of unsuccessful prayers to the real Gospel Truth that God really does answer prayer and faith in Jesus Christ of what he did and interceded for us and by the Grace of God and Faith in Jesus, nothing is impossible, nothing. We have the power and authority over sickness, finances what ever is needed. Jesus bore our sins and sufferings on the cross, he took them, so they are his, don’t except them let Jesus keep them and you be free from them. When a sickness tries to get you or finances hurt you say to them you belong to Jesus not me I rebuke you in the name of Jesus. Put your cares on Jesus, its what he’s there for and then leave them don’t take them back, just trust and believe and you will receive or doubt and do with out. I have also many times called Andrew’s prayer line when needed emergency prayers of healing or problems and got instant miracles, they have great and strong believers on the other end. Now I go to Charis Bible College through Andrew’s Ministry and am being blessed and am getting a better revelation of who I am in Christ.

22. Your words are powerful and communicate the important message of the power of God and the power of faith. Thank you

23. I enjoyed this article. Can you pray for me? I have crooked neck vertebrae possibly pushing on an artery that leads to my heart and pulmonary hypertension, a scary rare condition caused by pregnancy. I have tried speaking to the neck mountain with faith and nothing happens ever. Thank you and God bless