Examine Yourselves (2 Corinthians 13:5)

Old car e2r_header

In my country every car has to pass an annual road-worthiness test. As a poor student with a cheap car, I used to dread this test. Would the inspector say something about my dodgy brakes, the missing tail-light, or the cloud of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe? Would my car fail the test and be taken off the road?

You may have similar feelings of dread and anxiety when you read this verse:

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? (2 Cor 13:5)

To the one who stands on his own performance, this is a frightening verse. It’s the sort of verse you might hear before communion or at the start of a service. “Are you saved? Really saved? Is there sin in your life? Come, let us examine our navels together!”

Before I was persuaded about my Father’s love for me, this scripture bothered me. Not anymore! How can I disqualify what Christ has qualified? How can I undo that which I never did in the first place? I am kept by grace, not self-examination.

The idea that we have to examine ourselves for sin is thoroughly humanistic. They didn’t even do this under the old covenant. Back in the day if you brought a lamb to the temple, the priest examined the lamb, not you. That was prophetic shadow of a new reality. When we do communion or worship, we’re supposed to examine Jesus, not ourselves. “Do this in remembrance of me” (1 Cor 11:24-25).

Do you not know?

Paul is NOT saying, “Examine yourselves periodically to make sure you’re still saved.” You are not a car. You are not subject to an annual road-worthiness test. This examination is about reinforcing what you should already know: “Don’t you know that Christ is in you?

(Incidentally, Paul often said “don’t you know?” (see Rom 6:3,16,7:1, 1 Cor 6:15,16,19). It was one of his rhetorical trademarks. “Don’t you know? By now you should know!”)

Paul wants you to know that Christ is in you. You need to know this. He’s told you several times already. You are in union with Christ Jesus (1 Cor 1:5,30, 2 Cor 5:21, GNB). You have been sanctified in Christ (1 Cor 1:2), and your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 6:19).

But it’s one thing for Paul to say it, and another for you to believe it, hence his question:

Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you… (2 Cor 13:5)

Are you convinced in your own mind that you are one with the Lord? Or are you still troubled by the fear-mongers and insecurity preachers?

In context, some of the Corinthians had been a bit snarky. “Is Paul even an apostle? Who does he think he is?” Paul is calling them out. “Stop testing me, and test yourselves. Be who you are in Christ. Stop playing the judgment game.”

Grade-A certified Christian

Some people use this verse to put Christians into two boxes: good Christians and bad Christians. Good Christians have perfect teeth and come to church with immaculate hair and well-behaved children. Bad Christians are those with unconfessed sin who may find themselves ejected from the family. Such thinking appeals to our sense of fairness, but it insults our Father who loves us no matter what. Daddy-God will never unchild his children!

Unless, of course, you fail the test? (2 Cor 13:5)

Who fails the test of being in Christ? The one who is not in Christ, meaning the unbeliever. If this is you, you need to repent and believe the good news about Jesus, that he loves you, died for you and now lives for you. If you are outside, the way inside is through the door of his grace. It’s turning to God and being persuaded that he loves you like a Father. It’s exchanging your broken down old life for the life of his Son. More here.

But if you pass the test, meaning you know Jesus as Lord, then don’t let the self-appointed fruit inspectors trouble you. Stop conforming to that old habit of self-examination and be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Do you not know that Christ is in you? Do you not know that you are the temple of the Holy Spirit, a holy and living sacrifice, pleasing to God?

When you examine yourself, see Christ Jesus in you. He is your life. One with the Lord you are as righteous and holy as he is (1 Cor 1:30). You are pleasing and acceptable to God, able to stand, because Jesus makes you so.

You are saved by grace and kept by grace. Believe it and be at peace.

Paul's Books

1. You are a huge blessing to the body of Christ. At first I thought this cannot be right because how can so many other teachers and preachers be so wrong and my mind was having a problem believing this. But my spirit was screaming it is the truth, believe it. Jesus said the truth shall set you free and now I am truly free for I know God accepts me and I can trust Him completely. And when you know this sin loses its power over you. And now the prayer Paul prayed about knowing God’s love for me has been answered through your teachings of grace and the books you recommend. I thank God for you. God bless you and your family.

• Thank you, Sherry. I had a similar experience when I first heard the gospel of grace. My brain thought, “hold on there,” but my spirit leaped for joy. I have learned that where God and his ways are concerned, my brain is very much the caboose. It gets there in the end, but it seldom leads the way.

2. Trevor Lancashire says:

What exhilarating and life giving teaching this is – Thank you again Paul – The New Covenant says ‘as He is so are we in this world’ – It also says ‘He that is joined to the Lord is one Spirit with Him’ – What a privileged position, as believers, we are in! – Thank you Jesus.

3. You are a blessing. Thank you for this. 2 Cor 13:5 did used to haunt me, even though I believe I became a Christian when I had that breakthrough moment and realized that I am saved by grace through faith. This article cleared it up for me.

p.s. Have you considered putting your books on the iBooks Store. That is where all my books are.

• Thanks for the comment and suggestion. I probably should give the iBooks option more thought. It’s a time thing. I’m aware that iPhone users can read the Kindle and PDF versions of my books already (using the Kindle and Gumroad apps), so I haven’t really felt the need to go the other route. Maybe I should.

4. Dave O'Brien says:

Excellent message Paul. What we say we believe, not what we “do”, is the evidence of those in Christ.

5. Thank you:)

6. more good stuff Paul,and years ago,here in florida,we had inspection stations, same problem. Maybe they’ll miss it or overlook it.

• Thanks Earl. I just went through an inspection last week and I can tell you there’s a world of difference doing it as an adult with a decent car than a teen with a wreck.

7. Such a liberating truth! This stood out for me, that he is pleased in me, not because im good, but because he(Christ) in his amazing love for us have made us acceptable and pure before God. May we all grow in the knowledge of HIS love for us! Christ is Lord of all, from the smallest to the biggest! Continue beeing a shepard Mr.Ellis
    Love from Norway

8. Your car story brought back the time being a poor student. . . but being a poor architecture student doing graphics meant making my own windshield inspection stickers.

Not judging others, but we should be proving to ourselves that our faith is genuine. One way is, as we are led by the Spirit, to whole-heartedly go to those places where we’re most vulnerable so that Christ shows himself faithful. Could be mistaken but I think this is meant as something practical. . . then again I used to make my own inspection stickers.

• That’s both funny and serious.🙂

• alan,i remember when I was in high school,a friend and I were out riding around,his car didnt pass inspection,so my friend rigged it to look it was fixed,and you guessed it,we got stopped,God must have been with us,the cop saw through it,and laughed it off,he let us go with a warning, to get it fixed before going back for innspection

9. Run in such a way as to get the prize, 1 Corinthians 9;24,. Get what prize, win what? But the kicker is verse 27. . He sets before himself and his audience the danger of yielding to fleshly inclinations, and pampering the body and its lusts and appetites: “I keep my body under, lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a cast-away”. Just like an athlete must watch his diet to stay trim for the race. If Paul took such pains in subduing and keeping under bodily inclinations, how much more should we! If these are necessary to preserve the fidelity of an apostle; and how much ‘more necessary’ is it to our preservation? Why the, keeping of his body under subjection (MEV) ?
    So, thus then, the “examining of yourself….” unless, of course, you fail the test? (2 Cor 13:5) or; be a castaway (KJV), disqualified (MEV).
    Really, humanistic? How can you say that?
    Its more of a, reality check (examination)!

• You might be interested in my post on 1 Cor 9:24-27.

• I liked that, interesting insight to what Paul was speaking of as a, done deal, that, as you said,
        ,in effect just a Nolo contendere, plea of no contest, since “We began this race at the finish line “. And I do believe God is “able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think’ . Yet, why just the side line cheer leading? So we might just gain rewards? Thanks for the heads up.

10. Warren (South Carolina, USA) says:

Thanks Saint Paul.

Excellent reinforcement post on the new birth (God’s part, past tense). I like the references you make to Romans 12:2 “be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (our part, daily and ongoing).

Warren (South Carolina, USA)

• Thank you, Saint Warren. You know I once had an African lady in my church who insisted on calling me Pastor Paul. I asked her not to as it messed with my Australian egalitarian sensibilities, but she couldn’t help it. I said if she persisted, then I’d be obliged to call her Saint E, because Philippians 1:1 says there are 3 kinds of people in the church, and she wasn’t a bishop or deacon.🙂

• Warren (South Carolina, USA) says:

I could use your “Doctor” title, but I am fairly certain that you would rather glory in the fact that your name is written in heaven, rather than your earthly title. Hence the “Saint Paul” reference.

When I address someone as a saint (in the corporate setting. . . i.e. church) it’s amazing to hear some of the response, or denial of it (in most cases) to being addressed as a saint.

The denial tends to show if one is walking by law or grace or. . . . ignorance. Oh God, set ME free from MY ignorance!!!

Warren (South Carolina, USA)

11. Amen!

12. Wow! Awesome. Feel relieved and refreshed. Thanks Paul. Happy new year

13. I agree that this verse is not Paul saying to examine ourselves periodically to make sure we’re still saved. I read this verse in this way…”Hey, if you’re not seeing the nature of Christ in you – if you haven’t experienced a change in who you are, your desires – from sinful to righteous – then you might want to check and make sure that Christ is really in you!” Paul was addressing sin in the church and he knew good and well that, just like in today’s sea of professing believers, not everyone has been truly born again.

The longer I am on this journey, the more I realize how narrow the way really is – how few really do understand what Christ has accomplished for us and totally trust in Christ for their salvation.

14. Another thought I had was that if Christ is in you, you might still be engaged in ongoing sinful behavior, but you won’t enoy it and be oblivious about it as you were when an unbeliever. You’ll be miserable because it is not consistent with who you really are any longer. That is also a good sign that you are, indeed, in the faith and that Christ Jesus is in you.

15. Love love love this post Paul! Thank you for taking the time to write on these topics! Much needed!

16. Earl Hendricks says:

Hey man, I am so grateful to you As the Lord enlightens you, you enlightens me and I enlighten the people in my fellowship. Glory to God!!

17. I enjoy Grace teaching and I get engross in it. But I have a question that seems to trouble me. And it is this: Our Lord was ANGRY with the seven churches by the way the were living. So how does that fit with Grace teaching? Thank you kindly and God bless

18. Paul where did you get that image from…lol. Anyway thanks for the Post.

19. Thank you. Is it liberating to know that our Lord has done everything to redeem us and nothing can separate us from that grace and mercy shown.

20. Paul said, test yourselves…unless, of course, He’s not [in you]?

Would it be good to define ‘what is in the faith’ [not that Christ is or isn’t in us yet, He would be if we were]? Meaning: how does one get there? Not meaning: on the basis of any personal performance. What would the test be (benchmarks, appropriations), as the vs suggests? How important is ‘RBBR’ [acronym: repent, believe, be baptized, receive…]? Some church leaders only teach the first two__

One person above suggested there are benchmarks, signs of such…comments please

21. Thank you Paul for this post. Holy Communion has become so religious that we are focusing on everything else but Christ’s love and goodness. It doesn’t have to be in small cups, it doesn’t even have to be wine with bread. It was a proper meal, supper. Therefore we can have it with the food that normally eat. Any communion becomes holy because of Jesus, not because of how well we have scrutinized sin in our lives.

Great stuff! Praise The Lord

22. I’ve been a Christian for 60 years and it’s taken most of that time to get rid of the rubbish I believed about how bad we believers are! I thank God for this wonderful revelation of grace. It comes at a cost, banned from a church for daring to challenge legalism I thank God for the honour! I’ll never stop declaring the truth. It’s so liberating! Thank you so much for your books. I’ve given a lot as gifts this Christmas.

23. Thank you for this post Paul. It has been almost 3 years since I first heard about the ‘grace teaching’ and your posts greatly help me see more of Jesus and what He has done for me. Being so acquainted with the law since I came to know the Lord (in high school), I still slip, many times unknowingly. Your posts have been helping me grow. Life has never been the same.
    Truly, His grace is amazing. Thanks again Paul.
    Blessings from Thailand

24. Jay Mer Tabugan says:

I am very blessed to find a Grace preacher like you Sir. This is what people need the most, an eye opener for everybody. Continue spreading this gospel, the good news! God bless!

25. love the post and was especially struck by what you said about the priest examining the lamb,not the person….and that being prophetic to Jesus and His once for all sacrifice.No more lambs(reminders of sin)needed!All i can say is “wow”!

26. So my question is …

27. ok… just trying to gain a better understanding of this Grace given us by God… if we are instructed to pick up our cross daily, what exactly do we need to have crucified each day??

28. DENNIS OKOTH says:

thanks alot Paul.your teachings enlightens me

29. “The good news about Jesus is He loves you, died for you and now lives for you.”

That is good news indeed!

“You are saved by grace and kept by grace. Believe it and be at peace.”

The above two sentences is the Gospel in a nutshell. Now believe it and walk in it.

30. Neil OSullivan says:

Thank you for that, James. I saw that post. Paul Ellis has a way of bringing out the Truth of the scriptures in a very striking way.
    Be blessed in Jesus’ name.

31. John Buta says:

Love this article! I will be sharing it with my girlfriend forthwith!

32. Can I just say what my children taught me? My children are sinners (we all are), but if you treat them like sinners who need to be watched and judged and kept in line, that is what you will get.

• “…a child left to himself brings his mother to shame.” Proverbs 29:1.
      But, one would say; that’s old useless old testament.
      But, don’t tell that to the Apostle Paul, as he felt different as noted by what he said to Timothy (who was raised on the scripture’s), “ All scripture (old and new) is given by inspiration of God,… That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”

• momzilla76 says:

But are you leaving then alone or just not thinking of, and treating them like, filthy rotten sinners? There is a difference between expecting bad sinful behavior and expectantly looking for the fruits of the Spirit to manifest. I parenting you get what you expect. I have parenting with both mindsets and have seen the expected outcome both times. Fruit grows slowly but a child who is expected to be full of naughty usually acts their part.
        In adult Christians I have seen the same. If they think they are perpetually dirty unless they manage to pull off a “perfect” day of pious sin-free behavior they sulk and mope around, harshly judging everyone else by the standards they couldn’t hit that day, falling for every barb satan sent their way and generally not being salt and light but mud and muck. However for those who accept deep down that Jesus blood has cleansed them forever wobble around like babies learning to walk, falling down but reaching out to help others back up who are tottering around like they are, getting stronger and more fruitful they might only have to light of a birthday candle but they look just different enough to have a bit of salt to them and that gets people’s(the world’s) notice.

• I really love your analogy momzilla76. It’s just so…understandable. Now the hard part is translating this into real life and making it work for myself. But thank you for making it a little bit clearer.

33. Correct me if I am wrong, the jist of what is being said under grade a certified christian is that God loves you if you accept his love, if you are to broken to be able to do this his love does not cover you?

• God is love and He loves us all, but love does not force itself on people. So God gives us the freedom to choose to accept His love. Is it brokenness that causes a person to refuse His love or self righteousness? Does brokenness strengthen self righteousness or is it self righteousness that gets broken? Blessings, Chris.

• LJP if Gods even loves the self righteous, then his own definition and attributes of love must stand, love holds no record of wrong. How do you fit this into what you believe.Does love force its self on others. Yes mine does, if my children cannot love me I love them regardless, they engoy every benefit regardless of whether they accept my love or do not.When my daughter tells me she hates me as a result of my discipline, there is no further consequence. There is only love and acceptance.If they choose to leave home , they may suffer the consequences of being away from my provision but the door is always open. If eternity was in my hands the door would never close.

• First, let me say that I was not intending to judge anyone, I was only speaking from what I have experienced in my own heart and brokenness (and self righteousness). Continuing to love your children is very different from forcing your love on them. Would you force your grown child to live in your house and not allow them to leave? I believe that would be closer to God forcing people into His kingdom. If you were all knowing and you knew your child was not going to come around and was only going to suffer in their rebellion, it would be more merciful to give them their way. I suspect we’re way off the topic of this post so I’m keeping it brief. Thanks Chris

• God loves you whether you accept it or not. It just doesn’t help you if you don’t accept it.

34. Hi Paul…

Thank you for this. This verse has always stumped me a bit. What would you say specifically would be the test / examination to know if Christ is in you? Is it the fruits of the Holy Spirit? I know it’s not our works. I would say it would be if we believe. If I asked myself how I know Christ is living in me, I can’t really explain it. I do feel His presence living in me, I feel Him directing my paths, but I also know He is in me because I believed the Gospel. So, what specifically do you think the examination is that Paul is talking about? What proof does he expect them to find to pass his specific test?

• That’s an excellent question, Brad. In your case you have two pieces of evidence, a knowing and a feeling. There may be some reading this who say, “I don’t feel anything, so how do I know Christ is in me?” Indeed, this was a question that troubled me as a young man. How do I know that I am truly saved? The Holy Spirit led me straight away to 1 Cor 12:3: “And no one can say, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ except by the Holy Spirit.”

This is the question to ask ourselves: Can I say “Jesus is Lord” from the heart? When I got this scripture I was so excited that I shouted “Jesus is Lord” again and again. I wasn’t doing it out of a fearful better-say-the-magic-words sense, but out of a joyful now-I-know-that-I-am-his sense. It set me free from fear and doubt.

• Warren (South Carolina, USA) says:

Awesome reply to Brad’s excellent question!
        Warren (South Carolina, USA)

• Dave O'Brien says:

Many cults say “Jesus is Lord”. It is not just saying the words, but it must be the Jesus of the Bible as preached by Paul. The same Jesus who died for our sins and was raised to give us His life. Yes, the Holy Spirit testifies who Jesus is, and those who believe the testimony of the Holy Spirit will claim that Jesus is Lord, However, not everyone who calls Jesus “Lord” is saved (Matt 7:21-22). What we examine is what we believe concerning the testimony of Jesus. Believers believe God, unbelievers do not believe God. His Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are His, because our hope is in that which we do not see, which is the evidence of having faith. Rom 8:16-25

• Don’t diminish scripture. No one can truly say Jesus is Lord (ie: supreme, above all) without the Holy Spirit’s revelation. Sure, there are those who say it and don’t mean it, but we’re not talking about such folk here.

• Dave O'Brien says:

I would never, nor have I ever, diminish the Bible. I’ll leave that to Caleb M. and his ilk.

• Matthew 16:15-18(KJV) is the parable of what Paul was speaking of.

• Warren (South Carolina, USA) says:

Awesome question Brad!
      Warren (South Carolina, USA)

35. Hillary Supreme says:

So many have gone off the mark ,self righteousness has taken over the heart of man but they re in the church making no spiritual progress at a time jesus christ ask who do men say I m? When bible says examine yourself the holy spirit fill and born of the spirit don’t dispute the issue of examining One self ,for the things spirit a re spiritually design only those in the spirit understand it, by examining yourself you re renewing your spirit,christians have fail to keep their fire or first love,before cane kill his brother GOD said to him devil is knocking at your heart he never border to examine himself,for to enter heaven we must examine our self,apostle said I beat my body ,he also said what I don’t want to do I see my self doing,if examine himself how will he stop or know,our lives is not tied to the pattern of the world but of heaven ,we should not handle the BIBlE with our philosophical or science ideals,must people want leave they wants even when they christian,we should explaining the Bible to suit way of life we must leave the way of bible!!!

36. It’s good timing haha.

There are a few passages like this in the Scriptures. Another which comes to mind is, “by their fruits you shall know them”. haha.

We all love to examine and test and judge unrighteous judgment. hahaha. Oh Lord help us.

“In context, some of the Corinthians had been a bit snarky. “Is Paul even an apostle? Who does he think he is?” Paul is calling them out”.

110% Paul.

When I ‘got this’ I realised Paul was simply saying, “are you not believers? If so, you know I’m the real thing too”. haha.

God is so awesome.

Hi five for grace.

37. Alex Melton says:

First off. Thank you so much for all of your work that you do. I am slowly growing to accept the New Covenant Message as the true gospel. However, I still get scared and confused by verses such as 1 John 3: 7-10. Could you possibly shed some light on those verses for me and others? Thank you so much!

• This might be clearer concerning 1 John 3:7;
      Not that any man is made righteous by the works of the law, or obedience to the law, for this is contrary to the word of God; …. ; men are only made righteous by the righteousness of Christ, which be wrought in the Gospel, and received by faith, and imputes without works; so that he that ‘does righteousness’ is he that being convinced of the insufficiency of his own righteousness, submits to his (Christ); who lays hold upon it, receives it, and exercises faith on it, as his justifying righteousness; a righteousness, distinct from one that lives a sinful course of life; which, though it (doing righteousness) does not make him righteous in the sight of God, yet it shows him to be righteous in the sight of men, and proves that faith which lays hold on the righteousness of Christ:
      and so …, every member of his body being clothed with the same robe of righteousness the whole body of Christ is, and indeed justified by the same righteousness that he as Mediator was : moreover, as Christ showed himself to be righteous as man, by doing good, so believers in him, by imitating, and walking, show themselves to be good and righteous, like, though not equal to him; for as a tree is known by its fruits, so is a good man known by his good works ; and as good fruit does not make a good tree, but shows it to be good, so good works do not make a good man, nor a man’s own righteousness make him a righteous man, but show him to be so.

38. Thank You Everybody… B.B. May that was a good scriptural answer I believe. Paul, this is the first time I have been to this blog. Do you hold to the views of …

39. Ok thanks Paul I will ask that question on your “About” post.

40. The key to these verse’s is “even as he is righteous”. Without this doing of righteousness we could not have known Christ was the Son God, nor would even God the Father, as God noted, “this is my Son in whom I am well pleased.” Jesus, both prior to and during His ministry, had to show this righteousness by His walk. See Hebrews 5:7-9. He suffered for His righteousness, and all that shall live as ‘such’ shall suffer, 2 Timothy 3:12. The prerequisite for such glorious suffering? The ‘manifest’ (observed) activity of righteousness which separates the Child of God and the child of the devil, verse 10.
    Jesus of course was not “born again” as we must be, but was already “born again”, “born of God”, born righteous the first time! Yet had to show both us and His Father His righteousness by what He did! Thus, “Be not deceived, He that does righteousness is righteous even as he is righteous.” We will not be exempt, (absolved) from what was required of the Master, of that of, as John said, doing righteousness! See, James 2:18 and 1 Peter 2:21,22.
    Similar, both warning and instruction, is Ephesians 5:6,8. This is what Paul was getting at, by saying, if there is no corresponding action to back up any such claim of “walking as child of light”, the claim maybe deceptive.
    Therefore examine oneself, just as Jennifer noted above. As those claiming to be born again, may in reality, just be “still born”.

• Tom, thanks for sharing your comment, but it makes our relationship to God seem a bit rigid; like a contract. In my own experience, my walk never produced good fruit until I related to Him as a loving Father, then He produced His fruit in me. I found that I was never trusting Him to work in me before, but I was looking to myself to produce the fruit. He is the vine, He produces the fruit. Blessings

• We are not saved through works of faith, but through faith that works. Right, when everything is right, relating to Him as loving Father, it sure works. As “faith which worketh by love”, Galatians 5:6., is the consequential key. Don’t we all know that Jesus knew that love of the Father too.
        Do you believe John was thinking such, as you call rigid relation, a contract, when he wrote 1 John 3:7? How would you, then, answer Alex ?
        It’s the manifest difference . Ones faith either works, or not.

• When I read 1 John 3:6 I think, even Tom has sinned so by his interpretation none of us even know Jesus. The word practice in these verses means to produce or bear, like producing or bearing fruit. Fruit that is produced by abiding in the Vine that gives life. Righteousness is not graded on a curve, it means perfection. With this in mind, the only true righteousness is the righteousness of God (Mt. 5:48). When we see and know Jesus, and the glory of His righteousness, it becomes apparent that man’s righteousness is filthy rags. Self righteousness is produced by abiding in the knowledge of good and evil. God’s righteousness is produced by abiding in His eternal life.

• Dave O'Brien says: