The Prayer of Faith

Healing of a Blind Man by Brian Jekel

Much of what passes for prayer is wishful thinking.

“Oh Lord, please heal Mary.” I’m sure you can, Lord. I just don’t know if you will.

“I beg you to heal Tom.” But if you do, no one will be more surprised than me.

You can pretty much guarantee these sorts of prayers won’t change anything because they are devoid of faith.

The prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. (James 5:15a)

If you are not sure that God will answer your prayers, he probably won’t (see James 1:6–7). You may hope that he does, but faith is not hope. Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we don’t yet see (Hebrews 11:1).

Jairus came to Jesus certain that he could heal his daughter.

The woman who had been bleeding was just as certain that Jesus could make her whole. You need to be certain too.

There are no formulas or magic prayers for healing the sick. There is only faith in God. Our faith doesn’t manufacture the healing or compel God to heal us. Rather, faith is the means by which we access the abundant provision of his grace.

Faith is simply agreeing with God. That’s how we receive. If you don’t agree you’ll have a hard time receiving.

Two blind men came to Jesus looking for healing (see Matthew 9:27–30). Jesus asked them, “Do you believe I can do this?” “Yes, Lord,” they replied. Jesus then touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith it will be done to you,” and their sight was restored.

Look carefully at the faith of these two blind men. How many days had they fasted and prayed? None. For how long had they pounded the gates of heaven with persistent prayers? They hadn’t. Yet they had enough faith to get the job done.

How do we know they had faith?

It was evident in the way they spoke. They came to Jesus with a “Yes, Lord” attitude. They didn’t say, “I hope you heal us, Lord,” or “If it be your will, Lord.” They simply said, “Yes, Lord.” That’s faith.

Faith is agreeing with God.

Faith is saying yes to the Lord who heals.

Extracted from Ch.13 “Is it God’s will for me to be sick?” The Gospel in Twenty Questions. Now available in hardcover.

155 Comments on The Prayer of Faith

1. Carolyn Fewster // July 13, 2017 at 2:04 am // Reply

Ok what if you believe, pray and have others pray for your healing and it doesn’t happen? Are you saying it’s because I don’t have faith or enough faith?

• No, I’m not saying that at all. I’m saying God’s grace comes to us by faith alone; it doesn’t come by doubt and unbelief.

• You have also got to take the faith of the person you’re praying for into consideration. Say you are praying for healing of a person with cancer and they say they believe but in their mind they are planning their funeral. Then they die. That’s not God’s fault. The Bible does say that you can’t receive from God if you’re double minded. The Bible also says it’s up to us to prove the acceptable will of God.

• Christian Miller // July 15, 2017 at 1:23 pm // Reply

Also along with that Carolyn. If you don’t see physical results the first time after praying… fight the Good fight of Faith! Keep believing and thanking that the Holy Spirit is at work(:

2. I think we can look at prayer as a type of judgement. In the stories of the gospels they had to believe Jesus could and would heal them, but our belief should be that he did. On this side of the cross the work is complete, so if there is sickness it is unjust. As a son of God, I can “judge” the sickness to be in violation of the completed work of the cross. Jesus already took this sickness upon His body so it has to go.

• Well said, LJP.

• Awesome article and very succinct description LJP which I hadn’t thought of this way before. Thank you.

• Thanks Paul and Ian. I was also thinking this ties in to 1 John 4:17…As He is so are we in this world. Bless you guys.

• Ok, I just don’t get it then. Obviously people die….they can’t go on living until Jesus comes back. But at the same time, I think many in my denomination have hardly any faith for healing….how do you know when healing is Gods will?

• Because it is always God’s will. I think the question to ask is, so why aren’t all healed like they were in the Bible on numerous occasions. The honest answer is I don’t know. All I know is that more get healed when I pray in faith than when I don’t. I’m sorry I can’t give you a better answer, but if I waited until I had this perfectly figured out you’d never hear from me. I’m still learning, but I’m praying for the sick while I learn.

• Hi Sara, God gives grace to the humble. Biblical humility involves looking to the grace and love of your Heavenly Father as your source. Grace and love is His nature regardless of my nature, so it is always His will to heal us. Any loving father wants his child to be healed. I believe one of the greatest obstacles to us receiving is the incorrect teaching and beliefs we have about His nature. When we believe there are conditions that have to be met to receive from Him, we are not in humility because we are looking to self to meet the conditions. As soon as we put conditions on receiving from Him, there is doubt about whether the conditions have been met. There is no doubt about His grace and love toward you.

• Christian Miller // July 15, 2017 at 1:30 pm //

Sara,
        I think a base block to understanding prayer is to understand Gods WILL for his people. If we don’t understand his will we won’t know if what we are praying for is right. I believe knowing his will for us comes from the New Testament and further more, looking to the life Jesus had on earth, because Jesus is the perfect representation of the Father (Colossians 1:15). Reading his word and building a relationship, he begins to reveal his Good and perfect will for us. Just a few examples for you:

*Romans 12:2 says this about his will; “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” !!! His will is GOOD, PLEASING AND PERFECT😁
        *John 6:40 Jesus said “For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

We don’t need to convince God to do good because he IS good and in him there is no evil!

• I have been wondering about this and would like to grow in faith in this area. Thank you for your responses.

• Right on LPJ!

• Sickness is unjust? Is Paul incorrect saying “many are weak, sick and sleep (Physical death as apposed to spiritual)” by the hand of God. Paul is very clear that through the just and loving chastening hand of God, those that walk in the flesh are corrected by such measures. If such measures are unjust, is then God unjust? We know that sin and sickness are under the blood, but Paul here say’s when we fail to judge ourselves, using critical eyes as to whether, walking in the flesh or in the Spirit, we are subject to correction, 1 Corinthians 11:30,31,32. True God shows mercy, but also, concurrently, shows a loving side, as He chastens those He loves and corrects those He receives, Hebrews 12:6.

• God absolutely makes no one sick and Paul says no such thing.

• The only thing God uses to correct or chasten us is His word “Scripture”. He would never do anything destructive to us. Jesus took all of our sickness on His own body on the cross and said that we don’t have to bear it. He was chastized in our place. What a warped Father He would have to be to give sickness back to us. Do you believe He refuses us forgiveness of sin too whenever He feels like it. Maybe He will change His mind about eternal life too. Jesus healed every person that came to Him. He healed them ALL, the Bible says. He denied nobody. There are times that He didn’t go to certain areas because of their unbelief. Why waste His time with those who rejected Him when there were many who needed and wanted Him.
        Paul was not sick–he was being persecuted for sharing about Jesus ! How anyone can believe that a loving Father would use sickness to chastise His children, is beyond me! Especially after Jesus suffered horrendous beatings to take it away. Thank God my heavenly Father has never refused me anything that is good. It is the devil that comes to kill, steal and destroy. My Jesus came to give me an abundant life. He said that He wants me to prosper and be in health, even as my soul prospers!

• What a beautiful post Marjorie. You articulated wonderfully the goodness of God and what Jesus has done. Anyone who embraces your theology will know the love of God and change their life dramatically.

• Thank you so much Bob. It is the cry of my heart for people to know the true character of our awesome, loving Father. God is not angry and punishing us. He adores us. He died for us so that we might live a successful and fulfilling life on earth. Blessings to you!

• Dearest sister Marjorie, that was beautiful. Are you able to maintain that perspective of God as all times? I want desperately to do so and during the times I need to I find myself scared Sand unsure, which is exactly what Satan wants us to do, to doubt the promises He made us, to be miserable and have other see us as Christians being that way. We may not mean to harm his name but in not trusting that is exactly what we do. Oh, this wicked body I live in, who will deliver me from Christ will deliver that’s who. You are greatly blessed, highly favored and deeply loved my beloved sister.

• Thanks for your reply John. I always know what I am sharing is true and I walk in it as much as I can, but like anyone else, I can get discouraged and sometimes it is hard to apply what I know. The stronger a truth of God’s word becomes to me and the more I walk in it, the more resistance I get from Satan. That is when I have to tell myself that Satan is the liar–there is no truth in him. I get more determined to prove God and I force myself to persevere. Declaring the word of God, out loud, really helps me. Faith comes by hearing and hearing the word of God. I rebuke Satan in the name of Jesus and then I quote a Scripture that pertains to my situation. Jesus did that in the wilderness when Satan tempted Him. I declare Ps.118:5-17 over my life everyday and am seeing results everyday ! It only takes a few minutes. I also quote healing Scriptures over myself and command my body to line up with what God promises for us. When we speak the word we don’t see much happening with our natural mind, but in the spiritual realm, the word of God explodes like an atom bomb and demons tremble and flee! We need to know who we believe in and know that He is able to do that which He promises. He accomplished it all on the cross and we just need to believe and receive. Walking in the supernatural mind of God is a must; limiting your thoughts to what is possible with man doesn’t leave much room for miracles. Realizing how much God loves us really made a difference in my life. I know He would never bring anything evil upon me so it is easier to trust Him. Old teachings destroyed so many Christians. God’s will is always for good, never for destruction. Keep on persevering John. God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him!

• Are you saying the Apostle Paul is wrong to claim those that are “sick” and even die, have nothing to do with the chastening judgment hand of God? …

• Paul never says that; you did. Please click the link above for the relevant article and put any comments you have on 1 Cor 11 under that article. Thanks.

• YES! Sickness is not of God. Sickness is a result of the fall of Adam and Eve. Satan is the author of sickness, not God!

• A-men Marjorie

• Thomas, you and I have had several discussions on this site and I have read most if not all of your other comments as well. I’ve noticed that you commonly interpret scripture from a viewpoint of man’s way of seeing things. I could engage with you in another discussion where I try to share what our Heavenly Father has shown me (which is after I came to my own conclusions that greatly resembled yours), but we can only truly get it through our own relationship with Him. There is the possibility that we are both wrong, so let’s agree to sincerely ask Him to reveal His true nature to us. This issue you raise brings His character into question, so it is of utmost importance that we know Him and His true nature to be able to correctly understand His word.

• You are dishonest, not even posting what I said, thus editing my response! Are you afraid it may show the truth of what Paul is actually saying?

• Please note that I routinely edit or delete comments that violate E2R’s Comment Policy. You are welcome to disagree with me, but please do it under the relevant post.

• Thanks LPJ, as truly this issue does bring His character into question. Tell the Apostle Paul that, as I merely brought forth his own words, as I see them in context to the whole council Thanks

• Sorry Paul E. if I violated your blog. but believe that is all I did. Thanks.

• Weak, sickly and sleep are common euphemisms for spiritual conditions in the NT. They are not always used to described physical conditions. If a person has not properly discerned the Lord’s body, aka the whole purpose of Jesus dying, then of course they are going to be spiritually ill.

3. Galatians 2:20-Only “the faith of the Son of God” will prevail.

4. Have you ever heard of Christian Science? This religion teaches the concept of faith strong enough to heal. I had nothing but guilt as a child because my faith was not strong enough. Then I grew up. Paul/Saul had extreme faith, and he believed without a shadow of a doubt that Jesus healed the sick and raised the dead, and yet … the “thorn” he prayed to have removed was addressed by God with “my grace is sufficient”. Sometimes, “my grace is sufficient” is the answer we will get to our prayers, our lack of healing having nothing to do with how strong our faith is. I believe you came to this conclusion at the end of your post by saying, “faith is agreeing with God” … however, the entire post before that did not seem to be saying that. Can you clarify your post, please? Thank you

5. So, what you’re saying which I believe , in it’s microscopic view, is true, doesn’t that make God’s ability or willingness to act contingent on the individual?

• Not his willingness, for God is always willing.

• Right, ability, but not willingness, as Paul E. said. As Jesus power (ability) is only limited by man’s faith; “… he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.” Matthew 13:58.

• richard elson // July 19, 2017 at 3:26 pm //

So once your have been given the measure of faith, power is limited by unbelief.

• The there is Mark 9:23, starting at 22 (b); but if thou canst do anything, help us, and compassion upon us. (23) And Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe it, all things are possible to him that believeth.
        Now who is it that believes perfectly but Jesus? When our faith is not enough we can hook our faith to that of Christs’ who is perfect and to whom we belong. We are as he is in this world. Explain that one.

• richard elson // July 20, 2017 at 1:20 am //

We have been given Jesus’ Faith, we don’t need to build up our Faith, we need to deal with our unbelief.
        We can’t build up our Faith, we can build ourselves up in our Faith. Faith is the knowledge of relationship, so we can understand more clearly about that relationship and receive all the benefits of our relationship. Circumstances will flood your senses and cause you to doubt, but doubt and unbelief are not a problem if you don’t determine your identity by them.
        Our true identity is sons of God . . . as Jesus is so as we in this world. This relationship remains true regardless of our circumstances here in this world.
        Failure and disappointment don’t determine your identity before our Father, don’t let them condemn you. Thank God that his word says, he will turn every curse into blessing.

• He did not many works there because of their unbelief. What unbelief? Exactly. No belief in him being who he claimed, no belief in God at all, what exactly was it? What kind of place was it? What kind of people were there?

• I think the term unbelief is important here. It’s not just a lack of belief, skepticism, or ignorance. It is more willful. It’s people who not only don’t believe, but people who don’t want to believe. It’s not that the people of that region just lacked faith; their hearts were set against it.

I suppose for a believer, one could have all the faith in the world that one is saved, but won’t even consider that one could be healed miraculously. That might be a way of looking at Christian “unbelief.”

• Excellent point if I may say so. To believe and to not even want to is two different animals with two different consequences, if I may use the word consequences.

• I am still learning in this area, but I would put it this way, God’s healing, blessing, provision or whatever the needs of man may be, is contingent on man’s ability to receive. After the cross, the gates of heaven is always open, God is always healing, providing etc…
      Our Lord put it this way, the Son can do nothing apart from what He sees the Father do. What an amazing statement!
      What do we see God is doing in our circumstances? Where do we see it? In the Gospels! Because Jesus said whoever saw Him sees the Father! Ask God for a revelation in this!

6. frank kanyama // July 13, 2017 at 2:51 am // Reply

Great article.

7. The same amount of Christians believers die as non-believers. 100% My grandmother believed she would be healed from her cancer. She wasn’t. Guess her faith wasn’t good wobbly. I’m a Christian btw.

• Forgive me if I’m misreading you, but your comment smacks of cynicism. Are you saying that nobody is ever healed, because that is factually incorrect. Of course, everyone dies. All those people who were healed in the Bible eventually died. But those blind men died with seeing eyes, and Jairus’s daughter died an old woman (I guess), which is surely better than the alternative.

I have buried friends who I prayed for. It’s heartbreaking. But I have not let those setbacks silence me or turn me into a cynic. I keep praying and sometimes I see miracles. I saw a man about to die leave the ICU and recover. This is why I say I’d rather be a part-time healer and see some miracles than a full-time doubter and see none.

• I guess you have to be a certain kind of personality to move on, undaunted by unanswered prayer. With me it created doubt, I questioned why, got no answer so I remain uncertain now and I can’t grow that way.I blamed myself for my mothers early death that my faith wasn’t strong enough but just as it wasn’t the faith of the Hebrews in the blood on door posts that saved them it was the blood itself this has become a dangerous problem. Is the blood not enough, what is it?

• I don’t know that you need a certain personality, but you do need an eternal perspective. You need to know that Jesus holds the keys to the grave and death (Rev 1:18).

• Great response! As, “Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise” M.L.

• I’m there with ya. I prayed and believed my mom would be healed and wasn’t. I told people in confidence she would be; it is Satan that comes to rob, kill, destroy, Christ came that we might have life, then she died, it has destroyed me. My faith can’t be built on disappointments.

• Nor should it be, built on disappointments. Our faith, according to scripture, is built on promise; “For all the promises of God in him are yes, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.” “Now he which establishes,”… this, “is God.” 2 Corinthians 1:20,21.
        So what is faith, this faith we are to have in God, Mark 11:22? “Faith shows the reality of what we hope for; it is the evidence of things we cannot see.” Hebrews 11:1,NLT This speaks to individual faith, your own and not of another. How can this be you ask? Even Christ Jesus himself, “could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them. And he marvelled because of their unbelief.” Mark 6:5,6. See, faith is important, for even Jesus to do what he was sent to do, yet lack of said “faith” hindered him!
        No, scripture affirms that; “…According to your faith be it unto you” Matthew 9:29. Bodily healing touches even to the soul, as is indicated by James 5: 16
        So, just because we do not see healing, does not mean it does not exist, like wise or conversely, just because we do not see the results of the whole world being forgiven, 1 John 2:2, does not mean they aren’t. But if anyone (whosoever) believes it, they do then “procure it” unto themselves, along with healing too.! That is faith, no matter what we see, as what we see is not reality! Remember, all the promises of God are yes, yes, never no, no. This gives us hope in the Gospel, as truly, which is easier to believe, God has forgiven us or God has healed us? According to Psalm 103:2,3 both healing and forgiveness are equal benefits to the believer! But, either can be waylaid by lack of faith! Yes, His blood is sufficient! Hebrews 10:10-14.

• When I first got Baptized with the Holy Spirit, I began praying for the sick. Every person was healed! I saw a kidney grow back, I saw two women raised from wheelchairs and many other signs and wonders. Then came a time when five of my friends and relatives died. I came down on myself so hard, believing that my lack of faith had failed them. God showed me that it had nothing to do with my faith, it was their lack of faith for their own healings. One of them wanted to die, one didn’t believe she was good enough for God to heal her, another just pretended to believe because she felt sorry for me. She had been healed from leukemia and blindness, but she had been divorced five times and believed that God had only temporarily healed her to give her time to atone fir her sins.
        When we reach out in faith and obedience to God’s word, we are not responsible for the results. Listen to how these people speak and it won’t surprise you if they aren’t healed and Satan gets the chance to destroy them. The power of life and death is in our tongue. We get what we say. When I am praying for my own healing, which I know was completed at the cross, and I begin to get discouraged, I think how could I ever trust anything over God, in whom all things are possible, and put my trust in man! God is not a liar. His promises are true. He died and gave us power over all attacks of the enemy.
        I have prayed for many people and didn’t see immediate results, only to find out later that they were healed!

8. PERFECT PRAYER MODEL. Heb 13:20,21; foundation for perfect personalized prayer IF you want to be perfected, allowing Lords Spirit to disciple you. It is a prayer of commitment to surrender. Now Abba, God of peace, You who raised up our lord JesUS in the blood of an eternal covenant (powerful) PERFECT US, (corporate idnetification of “one” Body) in every GoOD work for the doing of Your will, doing in US all that is well pleasing in Your sight through JesUS Christ Savior,Redeemer, and Source of “all things new) be glory for ever and ever. Amen Hallelujah

9. How do you respond to to the father that said “help my unbelief” and still received, and Jesus’ parable of the persistent widow?

10. Jesus healed people with great faith he healed people with little faith, and he healed people with no faith, The man in the pool of Bethesda shows that it is not God’s will to heal everybody. I have been to all the top healing evangelists over the span of many decades and have yet to see a Jesus miracle! Sure headaches go away back pain goes away, but the palsied stay the Down’s syndrome stay. Paul I am surprised to see you in the camp with these exaggerator’s and liars. I love your grace teaching but it’s like he jumped out of the grace camp into the TV evangelist facade! I have seen many of the greatest people of faith gave it all to her not healed. Share some after chemo and radiation but I’m talking Jesus miracle.

• Take care not to mock or belittle what the Lord has done. Just you haven’t seen something, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I could name people who would be dead but for the fact my wife and I prayed for them. You may lump me with the liars, but there are people living who otherwise would be dead. Does that evidence count for nothing? These days you can witness healings on YouTube. And what about the many scriptures that declare Jesus healed ALL who came to him? Are these to be dismissed as well?

That said, I can also name people who died after I prayed for them. I have buried family members and dear friends who were prayed for by thousands. Those are my heartbreaking stories and I share them just as readily as the successes. But I won’t let those disappointments hinder me from getting what Jesus prayed for. When my kids get sick, this daddy prays!

• Hi Mark, Just so as you know, the pool of Bethesda was said to be a pool to receive healing because of superstition appealing to some Roman god. . . Not our God.
      It is thought that “others” released water from the upper pool(Siloam) which flowed through the drainage system to “stir” the water below.
      Jesus demonstrates his superiority over the pagan superstitions, requiring waiting, timing, swiftness, and just heals the guy.

I don’t know all the variables that influence healing, but I do know that our Father is not one of them.

11. I kind of want to point out here that Jesus prayed for a “cup to be taken” from Him … “Father, if You are willing, take this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.” Of great importance to me is the “if You are willing” part, and the “not My will but Yours be done” part. We can have faith to move mountains but, our prayers always need to be given to the will of and the glory to the Father. Just like Jesus did. I just think the way the article is worded makes it sound like you were saying that if people aren’t healed when they pray it is because their faith isn’t strong enough. Glad to read that is not what you meant, even though it did read like you did mean that … to some of us, anyway.

• Something interesting I was reading: Jesus was not only showing people how to overcome through the cross and redeem, but how to crucify the flesh. Author Eddie Snipes: “It’s no longer I better change or else, but rather God has forgiven all my sins and He will subdue my flesh.” Showing that Jesus understood that the disciples flesh would be weak. He wasn’t giving them a a self-mortification test.

• Indeed to be rest-conscious. Not giant-conscious. As Joshua and Caleb were before the Promised Land of Christ.

• Jesus gave His life because He knew we could never succeed on our own. He knew everything that we would ever do and yet He went to the cross. It has never been about self-modification; it was about love and concern for God’s creation–a parent rescuing a child from his own self- destruction. He gave us His own ability and power in the name of Jesus to be overcomers on this earth. He takes no pleasure in watching us squirm or suffer in any way. He told us not to forget His benefits. Can you imagine going through what Jesus suffered only to hear people say it was in vain!! As the Apostle Paul said, I pray that they will be enlightened”. I am praying that the body of Christ will come into the true knowledge of salvation and what it really entails..that spiritual eyes and ears will be opened to the supernatural world of God. He said that He wanted His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. Meditate on that ! There is no doubt what His will is for us!

• Mark A Perkins // July 17, 2017 at 10:13 am // Reply

Paul,
      I love your books but on page 54 in your book “The Gospel in Ten Words,” you say in the first paragraph that “faith sizzled and HUNDREDS were healed.” Hundreds??? That is what I was referring to previously. I only want truth. I have seen God answer many prayers and turn the circumstances, but not Jesus type miracles. We are told not to bear false witness, even when exaggerating for God, is wrong.
      Acts 10:38English Standard Version (ESV)

38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing ALL who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.
      He did not heal people in China, North America, etc…hyperbole.
      With All Sincerity in Christs Name,
      Mark

• Yes, hundreds. All who were healed means all who came to Jesus. “A large crowd followed him, and he healed ALL who were ill” (Matt 12:15). “Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by impure spirits, and ALL of them were healed” (Act 5:16). This is a record of what happened and you can either believe it or dismiss it. I believe it.

• Mark I was healed of a brain tumour, chronic bladder problems that caused me to require surgery every year for over five years, I received a brand new back, which was confirmed by two doctors whom had worked on my back for seven years. I was healed from severe haemorrhaging and endometriosis and the list goes on. In each instance I was healed instantly when hands were laid on me. When I prayed for my mom, a tumour disappeared from her bowels, another time she was instantly healed from chronic seizures. My brother’s dog had a broken pelvis and was healed instantly. I laid hands on a lady who was dying from water on her heart and she was healed and released from hospital. She requested prayer and the hospital called us. They all witnessed this miracle.
        I could go on for hours! If you don’t understand what Jesus did on the cross, it is hard to grasp. Jesus took all of our sickness as well as our sin, on His own body on the tree, and He said that we do not have to bear it.
        The mind of man limits our supernatural God. We cannot bring Him down to our level of thinking, we have to ascend to His.
        Why on earth would a loving father deny His children healing? He does not have to cause bad things to teach us something. The evil heart of man and Satan take care of that!

12. I have been praying for healing for some family members, but I realise that I haven’t really been convinced – I know God can, I just have secret fears that he won’t.
    Thank you!

• nathanbeckrules // July 13, 2017 at 3:13 pm // Reply

Jesus loves you and your family members. May they see their healing

• Deb I like what you said. So many times I catch myself doing that and I have to cast down any thoughts that contradict the word of God and tell my mind to line up. It is our God-given right to be healed. Jesus took lashes and beatings so we could be healed. He healed us 2000 years ago and we just need to believe it and receive it. Blessings to you!

13. Since birth my preteen often asks me for things I have repeatedly said no before, in hopes she can get me to change my mind. She is full of wishful thinking and is not in agreement with me. Sometimes I say no (if granting the request will be bad for her) and sometimes I say yes if she’s now old enough or various other factors. As a parent I never base my answer on whether she is full of faith to receive it. I wish the Father was more like this.
    Needing absolute faith for healing has caused so much pain to vulnerable, hurting people. It makes me hate the faith system for dispensation of provisions for abundant life. I hope God finds fault with this part of the new covenant just as He found fault with the broken parts of the old one and comes up with something better. The faith system only favors the strong in faith. I hope He will be true to His word that He chooses the weak things of the world or there’s no hope for many of us who are adopted into his family broken. I wish faith was a fruit of the Spirit and a gift from God not a requirement from bankrupt man, or too bad for you.

• Lisa Jane, I have appreciated your writing on a few occasions, and this is another time. We both know Paul is encouraging people to believe that we have a God cares for us and wants us to not be afraid to come to Him as He is our Abba, and Jesus our Redeemer. Sometimes ‘Faith’ has been made into a heavy burden, too heavy for some. We know from the Bible that God heals and He doesn’t change. So discouraging for the rest of us who try and fail at this faith test, and give up. I would love to talk to you Lisa, you seem to be coming from a totally different angle and that interests me.

• Lisa I keep reading your post as I feel there is something so valuable there. I am wondering if we have all been harnessed with this heavy burden of ‘having faith, trying to get faith, how to get it, how to know when you have/don’t have it!’ When really it is Jesus our lovely Redeemer, and Abba’s gift of righteousness to us that is being patiently held out to us. I have been needing a miracle in my life for 6 years, and I have felt totally shattered trying to work out this ‘faith’ issue. I am being gently led back to rest in the loveliness of Jesus, and knowing I have a Daddy who loves and cares for me. By His gift of Jesus’ righteousness to us, Father has qualified us to be a partaker of the inheritance in the saints ( Col1:12). Bless you all, and may we know more and more of our wonderful Redeemer.

• We have all been given the same measure of faith. People complicate faith. Faith is simply believing that what God says is true and acting on it.
        Actually there is such a thing as the Gift of Faith. It is resident in us when we are Baptized with the Holy Spirit. When you operate in it, there is no doubt, but you know that you know your prayer is answered. This fell on me one day in a meeting and I told people to request prayer immediately. Ten people responded and all received. It is wonderful, but you know, I would rather have this faith in God’s promises all the time without this gift in operation.
        The more I get to know Him and who I am in Christ, the easier faith operates in my life.
        We trust a chair to hold us, a boss to issue us a paycheck, a friend to keep their promises, why can’t we trust our loving Father to keep His word ?

14. Trevor Lancashire // July 13, 2017 at 10:23 pm // Reply

Lisa, it would be good if you went back and took another look at ljp’s several beautiful comments made on July 13th – God’s love for us as revealed in the New Covenant is much, much greater than we could ever imagine! You are greatly blessed, highly favoured and totally loved – Trevor Lancashire.

15. Nando Campana // July 13, 2017 at 10:25 pm // Reply

Hi Paul, it ‘s Nando from Melbourne, I like your posts and have a question about this one.
    Where does praying according to Gods will come into it? I can have as much faith as I like does my faith override Gods will? I don’t understand. Jesus healed people who did not know him and had no faith. I would appreciate any insights you could offer. Many thanks Nando

• Hi Nando from Melbourne. We should always pray according to God’s will, so what is his will for the sick and dying? Well, how many sick people did Jesus turn away? None. The scriptures record in several places that he healed ALL who came to him. Jesus taught us to pray, “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” If it’s not God’s will for there, it’s not his will for here. How many sick people in heaven? When it comes to dispensing grace, we should have no doubt as to God’s good will.

16. I know this is perhaps one of the toughest things to believe for. I come from a Faith background. Mostly Kenneth E Hagin type stuff. Countless times I’ve read about Hagin being on a healing line and asking the person in line whether they believed God would heal them? Their response determined their fate. If they said something like “I certainly hope so” Hagin would simply pass them by and go on to the next person. That simply displayed their lack of faith. There are times when the ministry gift of healing is being manifest but most of the time it’s merely about your own faith for healing.
    It’s no different in our everyday lives. There are plenty of born again Christians who continue to say they believe God still heals but He doesn’t heal everyone or it’s on His own timing, etc,etc. Right there with beliefs like that they’re expressing doubt. I know of at least one very well known Grace teacher/preacher who feels “We” as believers cannot bring this on ourselves at will either. You have to have hands laid on by others for it to work. So many people simply express more doubt when it comes to healing than they do of faith. And of course they never see healing being manifested.

And like Wommack says….You’ve already got it. That’s how you have to believe.

17. Great article. I think what makes this hard for so many to understand is that they attribute the sickness or disease itself to “God’s permissive will.” If you believe God either sent or “allowed” the sickness for some redemptive, or worse, purifying purpose, it’s going to be really hard to do a 180 degree turn and believe it’s always His will to heal. The automatic response to sickness is usually, “Why me, God?” rather than, “This is NOT God’s will for my life!” We submit to the devil and resist God, rather than submitting to God and resisting the devil in this area.

• Thanks Carrie. Yes, that is a most dangerous line of thought. To think that God gives what he does not have or that he allows the thief to plunder us is a real destructive mindset. So is the view that we must pass the faith test to be healed. How much faith did Lazarus have?

• I just don’t get it then. If it’s always his will to heal, then why doesn’t he always do it? I was taught that God allowed bad things to happen.

• It’s not his will for any to perish (2 Pet 3:9), yet people perish. This will come as a shock to some, but not everything that happens is God’s will. That teaching that God allows bad things, in the sense that he gives tacit permission, is unscriptural. If the thief had God’s permission, he wouldn’t be a thief. Faith is a rest not a test.

• Where can one get the idea that faith is not a test? Yet the word say’s our faith produces endurance through the trying or (testing) of it. “knowing that the trying of your faith produces endurance.” James 1:3.

• I got it from the Bible. For my take on James 1:3, see my article “The testing of your faith.”

• Not really, as James said (in regards to 180 stuff) “Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you may be healed.” James 5:16. One is not quite yet to doing this 180, until one is ready to confess.
      Paul also shared this in 1 Corinthians 11: 28-32, as we are to examine ourselves (see our faults) then deal with it (judge ourselves that we not be judged). Questioning this, as concerning our behavior, I can only say, Don’t take chapters out of context lest you end up with pretext. Look at 1 Corinthians 10:1-16, especially verse 6 and 11, as these are for our admonition, yes even today. And it all follows into chapter 11 were Paul continues such admonition. Thank you

18. Charles bain // July 14, 2017 at 6:31 am // Reply

It’s not just about having more faith , although that helps,as does purity of life and intent and need and ,yes other factors also, but consider this, the Jews in the gas chambers had faith and need and singlemindedness , but weren’t given their healing in the way they must have asked.
    We live here , wanting to be part of a fallen world, but God has heaven waiting for us, but we don’t want his best just now, we want the fallen life experience now please, but perfect health and wealth and friends and good job cos we know Jesus , come on now ! God is willing to give us what we are prepared and made ready for in his opinion.

• Charles I wanted to respond to Paul’s surprise to healing. How do healings happen? Jesus didn’t need to raise people from the dead but he did! Why did he leave that example and then go on to say we would do these same works? Our imaginations are geared towards pessimism and death. In Romans 1-3 Paul sees what everyone already knows intuitively that men are ungrateful, thankless, and have vain imaginations. In Keys to Staying Full of God, Andrew Wommack, as he does many times, shares the experience of raising his own son from the dead. He said that we have death as a human condition (obvious) but we see Jesus circumvent this operation to give us not just life, but life to the full as Jesus says in the gospels. What Andrew Wommack did was spend 6 months meditating and hoping and visualizing resurrections taking place. Until they did. He raised another man from the dead at some point, but to his surprise his own son died. Then God raised him to life as Andrew prayed for him and praised God. Yes it’s through faith that we pray and receive and pray. But we believe with hope. Hope is the evidence of things unseen. This is how we plan and decide to do things everyday. I encourage you to get a hold of Andrews teachings on youtube and awmi.net. Blessings

• Actually FAITH is the evidence of things unseen. Hope is the expectation of things yet to be delivered. It’s important because the fact that you have faith is a PROOF that it is real. Faith is relying on a truth that you can’t verify through the senses, living as though it is real (because we know it is). I relate this to the Holy Spirit being a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance (Eph. 1:14). This gives a solid foundation for our hope.

19. I think another thing to consider as far as healing goes is for those what want to believe but do not see any manifestation of healing it is easier to say/believe that God only heals on “His timing” or say things like “who knows why He heals some but not others.” That relieves that individual of any responsibility for their own healing. They can blame God or suggest it’s up to Him.
    Let’s compare how people feel about Salvation/being saved to physical healing. Many, many people believe in being saved/Salvation when there is absolutely no tangible evidence that is has actually happened yet when it comes to being physically healed/physical healing there is plenty of examples in the world that it has and does happen yet people are still slow to believe.

I know I don not have all the answers and I struggle with this myself. I know he does and has. I say thank you for what You provided me and others at the Cross. In Jesus name.

20. The question whether it is God’s will to heal Joe or Mary, as if He makes some ad hoc decision for each sick person, is the wrong question. The question is “How do I appropriate the healing already provided by Christ?” (Mat. 8:17). Clearly, no ad hoc decision is involved, as the woman with the discharge of blood in Mark 5 demonstrates…He has provided for the salvation of all but few are saved. Likewise, for the healing of all, but few are healed. (Note that the two promises are separated only by a comma in Psalm 103 and 1 Pe. 2:24.) Why? Unbelief. “The giants are too big”, Satan whispers to us. And, of course, fearing the ridicule of man, we decline to exercise the authority we have over unclean spirits and disease. (See Mat. 10:1; Luke 10:17-18). Instead, we plead with God to do something more than to send the Creator-God to be joined with us one spirit and endow us with His authority. That only slanders Him and Christ. We need to quit pleading and praying – Jesus never prayed for the sick (I can address James 5 subsequently). Instead, we need to start fighting the Enemy/Giant which stands in the way…Justice is NOW on our side…

21. Jairus was certain Jesus would heal his daughter. Why? Why was he so sure? What was it that built his confidence to that point? Was it the words of someone or a book read that convinced him? No, he saw with his own eyes,heard with his own ears. I have confidence in God’s power but not his timing. This is a very difficult subject. I want the confidence but how can I?

22. There is much dialogue on why does God allow what happens. Since His thoughts are higher is it possible we do not fully understand the impact of the earth having been cursed by God. We see part of the answer in ISAIAH 45:7 “He who forms the light and creates darkness, / He who makes peace and creates evil, / I am Jehovah who makes all these things.” We are called to pray to bind and loosen. We need to get with the truth of Our part to see God do His part in fulfilling His promises..
    I did a study on the word “ask”, as written in Isaiah 45:11 “Ask Me concerning My sons, concerning the work of my hands . . command Ye Me! KJV, NASV (and you shall commit to Me the work of My hands” Searched ask in the N T. Paying particular attention to 1John 5:16. IF,IF IF(used three times . . . IF we see a brother sinning a sin we shall ask and WE will give life to him. Huge DO NOT GOSSIP!!! PRAY, ASK: give life. Remember Gossip is One finger pointing out 3 pointing back!?!?

• You might be interested in this article on Isaiah 45:7.

• God didn’t curse the earth, he was describing the new circumstances they would find themselves. There were lots of changed circumstances in the world when “the law of sin and death” dominated. Satan kills, steals, destroys and anyone, including old testament prophets, who say otherwise are confused. Hope begins with knowledge, Faith manifests what is Hoped for, Faith only manifests what is hoped for, therefore wrong knowledge can cause big problems.

I like to say that Faith is the knowledge of relationship, and our works of Faith are our response to that knowledge. The centurion was said to have great Faith, he knew the relationship between words spoken by a man of authority and the obvious outcome of these words.
      The syrophonesian women knew the relationship that dogs under the table had to scrapes which fell under the table. Both of these gentiles had no understanding of the law or the condemnation that the law brought. Their Hopes were based on relationships.
      Abram knew the relationship between the words spoken by God and their guaranteed outcome. His response to this knowledge was to call himself what God had said he already was, he father of many nations. . .Abraham. He was reckoned as being righteous because of his response.

There is a relationship between the blood of Jesus and our guilt, there is a relationship between the strips Jesus received on his back and our sickness. We remind ourselves at communion that by his blood we are pure, white and cleansed from sin. . .we are justified.
      We are reminded, that by the strips(flogging) on Jesus back we WERE healed.
      A new relationships, had been legalised through this “one” righteous man.
      The “law of the spirit of life in Christ” had set us free from “the law of sin and death”.
      “Petitions” are made pointing to this new relationship. Confessions are made acknowledging the truth which often are at odds with the facts.
      The facts lie.

• What Gossip? He gave an example using ficticious names. Talk about fingers pointing back.

• I speak the truth as Lord Spiritsl words reveal it to me. Fiction has its place but not when it has preference to the truth. I trust your comment to me was from a love connection through an indwelling Spirit and not a critical Spirit of the world. There is truth and lie
        BLESSING:. I command a blessing on all whotels read this that TRUTH BE SPOKENTO their soul and heart received by soul and. That the truth will remove all lies and deception bringing freedom from what is not truth. AMEN. Have phenomonal awesome life “in” OUR LORD

23. I believe that God heals. I can believe that it is even his preference to heal. I struggle with the idea that God will always heal. First, I don’t see it in scripture. The promise that God will provide for my needs reads to me as God will ALWAYS provide for my needs. Healing doesn’t read the same way to me.

The second problem I have is what ultimately ends up happening when someone doesn’t get healed. It’s my fault. If God will always heal, but he didn’t, then it’s not His fault. Someone didn’t have enough faith, or something (which by the way, I think is a fundamental misunderstanding of what faith is). I know Paul says, “Our faith doesn’t manufacture the healing or compel God to heal us,” but that’s where we end up.

We fall into this endless loop of “I didn’t have enough faith,” or “there was something wrong with my life,” or “the person to be healed didn’t have enough whatever.” We become spiritual alchemists, trying to get the formula right.

• Allen, I hear you and understand your conclusion. But your premise – the idea that God will always heal but sometimes doesn’t – may be based on a flawed assumption. I don’t think of healing as something God does but as a gift he has provided.

Jesus commanded the disciples to heal the sick. They were the ones who heal. This turned the disciples from spectators into co-laborers. Jesus showed us how it was done – he healed all who came to him – then commanded us to go and do likewise. If all are not healed, we can’t blame God. And I’m certainly wouldn’t blame the sick person. In truth, I don’t think blaming anyone is helpful. It leads to that introspective loop you mentioned.

But fear of the loop can turn us into unbelievers. It can turn us back into spectators and leave the sick unhealed. Do you really believe that makes the Lord happy? Searching for a formula is fatal and leads to a self-fulfilling situation where none are healed. I would rather view each situation as an opportunity to lean on the Lord and stand on the promises he gave us.

24. After I was baptized with the Holy Spirit I began to lay hands on the sick and everyone of the people I prayed for were healed. A kidney grew back after being removed, two people were healed from brain tumors and the list goes on. Then suddenly 5 people whom were very close to me died. My faith was shattered and I blamed myself, thinking that my lack of faith must have failed them. Over time, the Lord revealed to me, why they didn’t receive healing. One didn’t believe she was good enough to receive from God. One whom had been healed from leukemia and blindness thought that God had just healed her temporarily so she could atone for her five divorces. Another had a death wish and cancer was her ticket out. In each case they were only pretending to believe to please me because I was so determined to see them healed.
    I have personally been healed from a brain tumor, an incurable esophageal disease, chronic back problems — two doctors confirmed that I have a brand new back. I walked in total divine healing for eight years until I allowed the pressures of life to overcome.
    Jesus took all sickness, along with sin, on His own body and we don’t have to bare it. The same faith that tells us we are born again and heirs to eternal life, should also tell us we are healed by the stripes of Jesus. The Bible tells us that sickness cannot dwell in us. Sickness is a finished work at the cross and we just need to renew our minds to what the word of God says and then agree with it. Take the authourity that you have in the Name of Jesus and command the sickness to leave, command your body to line up with the Word of God. Tell Satan and the spirit of infirmity to take a hike in the Name of Jesus. Plead the blood over your body.
    God is not the author of sickness, Satan is. God is not allowing sickness or causing it. We live in a fallen world where Satan is operating overtime and that is why Jesus did what He did on the cross. Bad things happen without God lifting a finger to cause or allow them. He has given us power to overcome these things. Speak the Word, declare it over your situation. Speak to your mountain and command it to be removed in His Name. Faith is simply believing that what God says is true. You have to think with a kingdom mindset, not mental assent. God said, My will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” There is no sickness in heaven !

• That sounds rights and simple but it’s not. Why did Peter start sinking when he took his eyes off Christ? He still believed he just also saw the storm. Fear entered in when he looked at the storm. Could fear or doubt by reason of those things about us cause the healing not to manifest? A prayer not to be answered? This is a very difficult thing.

• richard elson // July 19, 2017 at 1:27 pm //

It’s difficult to console myself (and other’s) when I’m in the middle of suffering circumstances which Jesus already gave us authority over. However I have to discipline myself that my Father has made his will clear, and that I have been given the same authority that Jesus has to enforce the terms of Jesus victory. I cannot allow myself to interpret the word/will of God by my circumstances. Failure to enforce the “law of the Spirit of love in Christ Jesus”, is not because I don’t have enough Faith, it’s because I have an abundance of unbelief.

Israel received what was already theirs after those with unbelief died. The 2 believers were enough, they didn’t require 12 believers. Peter sunk as his mind interpreted the facts more important than the words of Jesus. “You will prosper and be in health as your soul prospers”. All the problems are caused by my unrenewed mind. I will dominate over all the works of darkness and reject all the implications of sin as I renew my mind to the new relationship I have hidden in Christ. Or die trying.

I believe lord, help me with my unbelief.

• I don’t know. Did libelieve the power of the storm was greater then the power of Christ whom he also saw walking on the water? In my own life I have found myself in belief when an obstacle appears. I have questioned how this can be possible. How can anything defy the name of Christ? First I am perplexed then I begin to wonder if in Christ’s name anything will be done. Then I am in a state of confusion and anger. What can I do then? I totally lost at that point.

• We have a spirit of power love and a sound mind.

We are saved by grace and kept by grace, not self-discipline.

25. John W Reed // July 18, 2017 at 2:27 pm // Reply

Hey great post. Grace and faith are not opposites. God’s Grace made redemption and all that it entails, New birth, healing, wholeness, provision, protection, deliverance, righteousness, receiving the fullness of the Spirit, available for us. We can’t earn or deserve or achieve it. Faith is simply responding to, or laying claim to, what He provided in the Finished Work. Healing, wholeness, provision aren’t true fulfilled promises because we experience them, but true because God said it and accomplished it in the Finished Work, and because it is true we should be receiving!

• God said it, I believe it but it does not come to fruition, why? I have accused God of og a liar because of this, it makes me so angry. I’m expected help as I can but he can and doesn’t. Very confused over this along with unanswered prayer. I feel abandoned

• John, the only reason anyone would accuse God of being a liar is because of “unbelief’ as the word say’s; “…he that believes not God, has made him a liar; because he believes not the record that God gave….” 1 John 5:10. In other words, it is by default that we call Him liar, or our fault for not believing Him. But Paul said, on the contrary: “let God be true, but every man a liar” Romans 3:4, as His word is all we have, and we must believe even though there seems to be no answer. For without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6
        Those that came before us are listed in the “Faith Hall of Fame” Hebrews 11:17-38, and I encourage you to read about these that “ died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth”. As these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: verse 39.
        Grow in faith, as we too must be persuaded of them, embrace them, and confess them, as we too are pilgrims on earth. Thanks

• you don’t understand brother, I know all that. I have been years at trying to better myself, talking to the Lord the entire time and it only gets worse. For me to accuse God of being a liar is not out of initial unbelief but of repeated injury.

• As Reed so well put it, “provision aren’t true fulfilled promises because we experience them, but true because God said it” I remember back in the 70’s there was a prevalent saying among the brethren; “God said it, I believe it, that settles it”. Sums it all up! No, I do understand, as the word tells us, as well as those that came before us, that no matter what happens, we must maintain our confession of faith as that is all we have in the face of the enemy. “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony (confession); and they loved not their lives unto the death.” Revelation 12:1
        What I share with you, is what I also share to myself. What ever injuries you have are not to be compared to “hostilities of sinners” Christ went through, or of shedding His blood (Hebrews 12:3,4). So you may consider that what you are experiencing is the chastening (discipline) of the Lord, as you mentioned, “it only gets worse” or “not joyous”, Hebrews 12:11. If it is, it is God showing you,He will never abandon you, as He loves you and will make it clear to you!
        Note; if we judge not ourselves (our walk) God will do it for us, through chastening, 1 Corinthians 11: 31,32.

• Thanks for reply but that does not help at all. I actually find that a typical religious response, no offense intended. I’m talking the past 20 yrs of my life, raising 3 children on my own at poverty level. We have a great relationship today but I want out of poverty, off food stamps. corruption in this country is what I find to be the problem and I can’t overcome it myself. God not abandoning me I initially took as patronizing though I believe it was well intended.

• Well that’s fine, that you judge me a typical religious type, but I would never wittingly be a condescending type and don’t see how you get that from my sharing that “God will never abandon you”! It was, after all, just a response to your saying; you “feel abandoned”.

• I know brother, which is exactly why I said no offense intended. Yes, I do feel abandoned. I desperately need a quality income, I have prayed in tears, sought council, requested revelation, dreams, something but nothing comes. I’m living in a home not my own, I feel unwanted, a burden and can’t escape this condition. I just don’t know what to do.

• 💜💜I can’t claim these are the same, but l I have had these feelings, knowing that there is something more, feeling like I am missing something, maybe something really obvious. Wondering why it seems like everyone else gets it, but not me, not my family. Feeling like all the plays I have been making are out of the wrong rulebook. Feeling like a burden, like life is a burden. 💜💜💜💜💜 Living day after day in what feels like defeat. 💜💜💜💜💜

I’m so sorry this is your experience right now. I don’t know what to say, but you are not alone. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

• That sums it up very well.

• I hope this can be of some comfort to you. God has been so patient with me and has revealed bits of himself over the years. So many things I asked him again and again. I had/have a hard time just focusing on him and taking him at his word regarding what he wants from me. I keep thinking it’s this that or the other thing. He has spoken to me many times about looking to him and trusting him, but my eyes and concerns look at the problems and I think ‘what about this? What about that?’ It’s so crazy. God does things backwards to how I do them. I take a very direct approach and my default lie (something that I believe is true and motivates me, perhaps I should say drives me, is that “I’ve gotta get it right!!!!” I want so desperately not to be a failure, I want to be good at something and be accepted.’ Thugs start to loosen up and I begin to understand life and I begin to walk in faith. First the faith that I no longer ‘gotta get it right’ because Christ has done that for me. As I rest in him, slowly thugs become more clear. Slowly. The tricky part is when I wanna get my brain and hands going and mess it up! HA! I was playing with the wrong playbook. I was thinking it was up to me! That I had to figure it out! Sometimes we even make faith into a work. Faith is not something we ‘do’ it’s looking to Christ, the one who has done it al. That might sound a little surreal and crazy. It has taken refocus after refocus to just not ‘try’ to trust him, but to actually let it go and trust him. I hope this helps. If not, that’s ok too.
        It has been years for me. I’ve struggled my whole life (since I was 3 and now I’m 43) with understanding salvation and how life should work. Jesus broke through to me when I was 20, but I still kept struggling to understand etc. he is so faithful!!!! ❤️❤️❤️😊

• Be in the world but not of it.How impossible is that when we have to deal with the things of life constantly. Can’t trust a human to explain it. A revelation while sleeping would be perfect, maybe an angel to guide like in the Cary Grant movie The Bishops wife-great movie.The way I see it there is no relationship when the parties cannot communicate, I’m not God so that places it in his court to carry out a relationship under grace that he lovingly began. He is infinite I am finite,He is sovereign I am not though through Christ I am perfect in His eyes.

• Yes! Great insight, Sara.

• Thanks, no offense taken. Concerning the condition your condition is in, “This too will pass” as God is working, if you are believing! Though there are times God is silent, does not mean He is inactive.
      We should also follow Paul (as he followed Christ, 1 Corinthians 11:1) saying; “…. for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” Philippians 4:11. As the only constant in life is change. And so further qualifying this fluctuating state he finds himself in, “…having food and raiment let ‘us’ be therewith content.”1 Timothy 6:8. he came to this understanding, by knowing that if we seek first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; all these things shall be added to the believer, Matthew 6:33. The take away? Keep the faith, it is more precious than gold 1 Peter 1:7.

26. Keith Pinke // July 20, 2017 at 1:02 am // Reply

I see in the paper that Prince Harry of the UK wasn’t acting like a prince the other day. Does that mean he is not a Prince? No it does not. The same is with our royal inheritance with Christ, as I know I don’t always act as the Prince that I am. The finished works of healing at Calvary are the same. They are a free gift for the taking whether we believe they are or act on them.

• richard elson // July 20, 2017 at 12:01 pm // Reply

Yeah I like that Keith,
      We are sons of the King, the only questions now is, will we conduct ourselves as sons.
      IF, Faith is the knowledge of relationship and works if Faith our response to that relationship then best we seek the knowledge, wisdom, and understanding that goes with our position.

27. Good post. Faith is indeed agreeing with God. Our prayers need to be simple, and your post makes believing in Jesus very simple.

28. James Walker // July 27, 2017 at 2:40 pm // Reply

Why wasn’t Timothy Healed? Why did the Apostle Paul tell him to take wine instead of tell him to have faith and be healed…why did God tell paul his grace was enough and not take away the thorn Paul wanted removed? Maybe it is Gods will that some stay as they are (ill or hurt) for a special reason known only to God…. I believe that medication can be some of the healing that God sends us. (Example: instead of taking away someone’s mental illness problems God sends the medication and doctors instead)…

• Yes medication is often helpful, but it’s a mistake to think God ever wants you sick. (If he did, you would be sinning against God by taking meds.)

Timothy’s tummy troubles (1 Tim 5:23) and Paul’s thorn (2 Cor 12:7) are often trotted out as evidence that God doesn’t heal. This despite the fact that neither may have been a long term illness. A “thorn in the flesh” is an Old Testament idiom (Num 33:55, Jud 2:3) that refers to persecution, not sickness, while Paul told Timothy to drink fortified wine and avoid the local water so that he wouldn’t get Delhi Belly when he travelled.

Even if it were true that Paul and Timothy got sick, this would not undo the 100% healing record provided by Jesus and recorded in the scriptures in several places. God is not fickle. He does not want you well today but sick tomorrow. His desire is for you to have abundant life, not abundant suffering.

• James Walker // July 28, 2017 at 5:31 am //

For a hypergrace preacher you sound alot like one of those faith movement guys like Benny Hinn or Kenneth Copland… I think I will agree to disagree with you..nice chat though….

• Interesting email address you have there, James.

29. Good reading 👍🏻👌🏻

30. I agree with one of Paul’s main points that we ALWAYS have to start with the ultimate truth that God wants us healed. If it doesn’t happen it’s not because God said no, but for any number of reasons that we may not ever understand. I do think that there is a danger in turning faith into a kind of work in itself. Since God led me to Paul and Joseph Prince I look at faith as more of a rest or a simple agreement with God and what he has already done. My faith grows naturally as I spend time in his Word, his presence and in listening to grace based teachings. If you feed yourself with works oriented spiritual food you will have little faith, no matter how long you have been a believer. Also – a sin consciousness will kill faith. We have to completely get away from the theology that if I stopped committing this sin God would be able to heal me. Because if we have that mentality then there is always something we are lacking in that will prevent us from being worthy in our mind.

31. “get away from theology that if I stopped commenting this sin…”? Then why would Paul suggest such a theology 1 Corinthians 15:34 and 2 Timothy 2:19. Again, John suggesting same in 1 John 2:1.
    “… then there is always something we are lacking in that will prevent us from being worthy in our mind.” then why would James tell us to “confess our faults… that we may be healed”? James 5:16. I think James was considering that confessing always comes with forsaking, as indicated in Proverbs 28:13, “He that covers his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesses and forsakes them shall have mercy.” The mercy of being healed.

• The scriptures you mention remind us that sin is supposed to be incompatible with the believer. We do have the power to overcome sin in our lives. The Bible reminds us of that and we should remind ourselves also. But the Bible also states that God does not impute sin to us Romans 4:8 and that our sins and lawless deeds he will remember no more Hebrews 8:12. The real power to overcome sin comes from believing that it has been dealt with once and for all that we have an unchanging righteousness. In the New Covenant it is the obedience of faith that matters. And that will cause our behavior to change. Religion only tells you to try harder and harder and then when you get yourself together God will finally be able to bless you. We are all the same. Some of the people who perform the best still believe that God is still displeased with them. They are putting their faith in the wrong place.

• “the New Covenant it is the obedience of faith that matters. And that will cause our behavior to change. ”

So are you saying if our behavior doesn’t change we have no faith?

• I don’t think I’m saying that, no. What I mean by obedience of faith is taking our eyes off of how well we are doing and putting them on Jesus and what he has done. Our faith has to be a rest, not just another work, another demand that we feel God has put on us. If we concentrate on a relationship with the Lord instead of doing all the dos and not doing all the don’ts we will see a change in our life. One of the reasons people leave the church is the burden they feel is put on them by God, the church and themselves and they just can’t measure up. So they say forget the whole thing. Give grace time to work in your life and just believe that God loves you unconditionally right now, with all of your faults. He sees you as perfect.

• Well said Bob, it could be no other way. If Christ died for our sins then why would we want to condemned ourselves, that’s a form of self-righteousness. It’s that law thing again, that ministry of death. Focus on Christ finished work not any undone of our own, it’s about Him not us.

32. I believe Paul would agree that God sees our righteousness through the acts of Christ’s obedience not our own! We are irrevocably saved at the acceptance of Jesus, everything after that determines our growth and effectiveness.

33. In a time in my life where I doubt my own faith, this is exactly what I needed to read. So true! Thank you.

34. In the atheist community the thought on prayer goes into paradoxes. If we pray and it goes wrong, then it’s gods will so there’s no reason to pray, if it works then we assume it was supernatural. It’s a bad way of analyzing prayer.
    Then there’s the idea that god is good so it must be the devil hurting and tempting humans. Then we run into another paradox. If the devil can do this, then god must not be all good, or not omnipotent. This is why deist exist, they believe in a creator that does not intervene with what happens on earth. Something like a set it and forget it.

• And then there’s the God of the Bible who, being a good father, says “Be free” hoping that we will respond to his overtures of love. He does this knowing full well that we will run the other way and make a helluva mess that he will have to clean up at great personal cost. And he does it knowing that some humans, despite their puny brains, will try to contain the Almighty inside a box of their own invention and call it wisdom.

• I guess if it’s a situation we’re we as humans cannot understand why he does what he does and that’s the true, then there no reason to question it. But, as humans we were given morality, and by our own god given moral standard, we can conclude god is immoral. He would have to be, at least by our knowledge of what morality is as taught to us by god. Even if there’s a bigger plan, if a person must suffer to make it happen, and test others on their faith, than god puts out temptations. These temptations can cause a man to end up in hell, and by probability it will, that means god tricks people into damnation and that’s immoral in all standards, even if it’s part of a bigger plan. Specially to the person in hell.

• Your conclusion is based on religious caricatures rather than the true character of God as revealed by Jesus. To how many people did Jesus impart suffering? How many people did Jesus damn? The God revealed by Jesus is nothing like the one you are describing.

• Jesus brought the revelation of hell that s where the concept originates. God and jesus are the same person so I’m talking specifically about the abrahamic god under Christian scripted. If there’s interpretations that contradict what I’m saying then it is far from clear in the scripture itself. That’s why you will find non believers. It’s hard to accept that god knowing the future didn’t know how to be clear in his word.

• If by “word” you mean the English translation of Hebraic and Greek scripts that have been copied again and again then translated by people with strong religious agendas, I agree with you. But these same scriptures tell us that Jesus alone is the Living Word and in this Word God gives us an unequivocally clear portrayal of his true nature. Indeed, Jesus and the scriptures agree that the Son is the only accurate interpretation of God’s character (John 1:18, 6:46, Heb 1:3).

It is true that Jesus spoke of hell, but you will not find a single scripture showing Jesus damning people. Indeed, the very opposite is true for there are many that reveal Jesus as a Savior. There is not one scripture that paints it the way any other way.

Perhaps the reason we have unbelievers is because so few have heard the good news of Jesus. Instead they’ve heard snippets of a bad religious concoction such as the one you portray. Or they’ve heard about Jesus but have chosen to dismiss him as confusing or immoral, even though the truth is otherwise.

• Thank you. It’s always great to understand the opposing position. Although disagree I definitely appreciate that you’ve taken time to make a difference with your message.

• Thanks for stopping by.

• Yes, thats what true Diests believe but they believe that due to a lack of knowledge. God is Holy and cannot change, he has attributes and a character, we know this because we are made in his image for one He cannot violate his character.

• Actually its we are “set” in our ways, because we “forget” that God is there ready and able to change us!

35. Wow…… I’m going to start agreeing with God in faith

36. I feel like what people miss about the probability thing…

• You raise some interesting questions about hell, but they should be posted under one of the articles on hell, rather than under an article on prayer. Thanks for respecting E2R’s Comment Policy.

37. I so agree Paul. I’ve sat in on many prayer meetings and heard all the comments that you mention. I got so that I didn’t trust anyone to pray for me, I would only pray for myself. I have come to a place where I am declaring the Word over every situation, taking my God-given authority over the powers of darkness behind every situation and praying in tongues a lot. I know it is God’s will that I be in good health and successful in every area of my life, so I can pray in faith believing and agreeing with His promises. He is a good, good Father!

38. I love how He asked us to reason with Him. He gives me reading to exercise faith. Good blog.