About Dr. Paul Ellis

I never meant to start a blog. You might say Escape to Reality came about by accident.

For 10 years my wife and I led a multicultural church in Hong Kong. That was an “accident” too. I never wanted to be a pastor. In fact, I couldn’t think of a job I wanted less. But God ambushed us and it was one of the best adventures of our lives.

At the same time I was a professor at a gung-ho business school. I worked six days a week and led a church on Sundays. It nearly killed me.

Then we moved to New Zealand, I began to write and this is the result.

Why do I write? So that you may know that there is no bad news in the good news, and that life without Jesus is like a frame without a picture.

C.S. Lewis said, “Reality is something you couldn’t have guessed.” You could not have guessed that God loves you even when you’re a messed-up sinner. You could not have guessed that his grace is greater than your mistakes. You could not have guessed this because God’s love is greater than you can conceive or imagine.

Life isn’t about keeping the rules or pleasing the boss or paying the bills. Real life is the adventure of learning who you truly are – a dearly-loved child of God. If your goal is to explore the vast reaches of your Father’s love, you’ve come to the right place! If you want to walk in the freedom of God grace, I encourage you to become a subscriber (it’s free).

Paul_Ellis_250What else?

I’m a born and bred Cantabrian although I grew up in the great state of Western Australia. I’ve lived for years in Asia, briefly in California, and now in Auckland. If you’re interested, you can keep up with my news on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or see what I’m reading on Goodreads. I’ve written briefly about my own grace journey here.

Camilla is my first, best and last wife. We were married in 1999 and each year has been better than the last. We have four amazing kids.

If you would like to support my work, read this.

If you want to invite me to speak, read this.

If you’re looking for a short bio or photo you can use in your newsletter or magazine, go here.

You can contact me here.

About Escape to Reality

E2R went live on 5 February, 2010. Published articles are indexed by scripture and subject. Check out the archives for more or use the search box at the bottom right of this page.

What am I working on now? Read the latest post to find out.

Found something you like on this site? Feel free to click the “Share” buttons found under every post. Use those button and you won’t need to read the Copyright Policy, which is relevant for other forms of sharing (e.g., book excerpts, magazine reprints, and church newsletters).

Got something to say? The comment policy page will show you how to say it to best effect.

Enter your email address to get your free Grace Pack and receive notifications of new posts by email!

Join 35,022 other followers

24 Comments on About Dr. Paul Ellis

1. Wayne Alumbaugh // December 20, 2015 at 11:55 am // Reply

Jesus was (doing) something at Calvary . Love is not passive. It’s a attitude of the (heart)!

2. Hi Paul, I’m back from the other post. Do you hold to the “outer darkness” view that Bob Wilkin holds to? I don’t need the answer to the other question, because I did read on your blog that you hold to the change of mind definition of repent. I agree with that.

I don’t believe in the outer darkness view simply because Jesus says we will forever be with Him after the rapture, so we will all be coming back to earth with Him to reign for 1000 years. No believer will be left in outer darkness. If you could elaborate, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Brad

3. You are twisting scripture about God’s judgments for people’s sins; the God of Jacob has not changed. You need to repent sir for prophesying by Baal; people who are reading your posts are led astray.

4. good morning, paul,

just read your words above.

it is true we are saved by grace but repentance is required of the sinner. true repentance includes conviction to live life the way our lord and savior showed us by his life: totally obedient to god’s law and that is why he is pronounced sinless. though we cannot completely live our lives without breaking his law, (that is why we need our savior to save us and continually advocate for us) god promised that jesus’ blood will wipe away our judgment if we confess (admit) our transgression and endeavor with his help not to live in sin.

for this reason, i believe it has lead to gross false teachings and practices that god’s word was divided into two and re-named “testaments.” testaments are mere statement of witnessed facts or intentions of one side. what we have with god is “covenant” which requires all parties involved to fulfill their obligation expressed in that covenant. god said if you do my commandments, i will be your god.

god commands believers, his people in covenant with him that we carefully obey his law, neither adding nor subtracting to it. this is not being legalistic. this is how we show our gratitude for his overwhelming sacrifice of his son who gave his life that we may have life. this is how god expects us after he brings us into his kingdom of light out of the kingdom of darkness.

perhaps you have addressed this in your other blogs. i am praying you have.

5. Do you have a you tube channel?

6. Grace Vs Law I desire to know the truth and more so understand.

7. frank kanyama // October 31, 2016 at 5:19 am // Reply

I love what you are doing Paul.

8. Berris-Dale Joseph // December 17, 2016 at 8:37 am // Reply

I notice I have not received back any posts since I have written in reply to various posts on E2R as recently as about one week ago. I noticed that right after I submitted my responses to posts my documents appear stating that my comments are awaiting moderation.

• If your question is why some comments are not published, you should note that we get many comments every day and only publish those that adhere to E2R’s Comment Policy. If a comment is not published, that does not mean it’s a bad or offensive comment. It could have been long or not directly related to the post. Some people submit comments that are really mini-posts and are ill suited to discussion threads.

9. Roshan J Easo // January 31, 2017 at 12:33 pm // Reply

Thanks for giving sinners with poisoned minds what they are looking for – grace. Thanks for givings saints with what they are looking for too: grace!

10. Hi Paul hope you are well 🙂 just wondered which fellowship you and your family are a part of locally?

I’m moving to the north island soon and wondered if there was maybe a network of new covenant churches you were involved in or across nz

Any help this way would be much appreciated

P.s. are there many Avondale spiders on the scene they look a bit boss !

All the best Luke

• Which part of the North Island? If it’s not Auckland you might want to put your question on E2R’s FB page and see what comes back.

• Were going to start off in Gisborne on the east coast but if that doesn’t work out with work ,it will be auckland or Christchurch. If I’m in Auckland for any significant time it would be great to meet up. This site was a go to for me when I was struggling with receiving the grace that was there all along and I’ve benefitted loads from it !

11. Enjoy reading your blog

12. Tonite I came across ur blog, if I ever needed grace as bad as I ever have, it’s tonight! I will share more later as I read your books. All I can say is I’ve been so depressed for 20+ years, with not feeling love from God but condemnation. Wouldn’t this be a blessing in disguise? I believe it may be! Satan loves to mess me up with hell bound issues, and have Christians and others (preachers) believe we can loose our salvation and I’m tired of feeling condemned! Help me Lord to know the truth! Eternally secure!!! Is where I want to be!

13. Patty Vander Veen // June 27, 2017 at 1:34 pm // Reply

Not sure where to do this, but wanted to thank you for the free book to give. Have it to my neighbor who says he is an atheist and his significant other who says she is a Christian. The picures first caught his attention enough to look through it. Then I know he is reading it because I get question after question. A true door opener! Thank you!

14. Joyce cross // August 21, 2017 at 3:17 am // Reply

Hi Paul, I did “the gospel in 20 questions” with my Bible study group of ladies. They loved it! Now I’m looking for one of your other books to share. Recommendation?

15. I like your inturpritation of the good news the gospel of Jesus Christ. I believe it is a true interpretation. Vic

16. Rolando Morales Jr. // September 18, 2017 at 8:15 pm // Reply

Hi paul, nice book..
    Thank you..

I just want to ask as well, regarding the doctrine of “Once save always save”?
    Do believe in that?

Cause as what Ive understood this book “the Gospel in ten words”
    That our salvation is because of Jesus alone, and after we’ve become save we become sanctified already 100percent, because of Jesus’ account.

Second question paul is, sjnce Jesus already died for everyone, is automatic that everyone in this world has been save already, so as you said jn your book that Gospel should not threatening people about hell, and requiring them to do this and do that, so they’ll be save.
    Is that mean that we don’t have do tell the people to Repent, surrender their lives to Jesus as their Lord and saviour, as you also said gospel is not about we accept God, but rather we are already accepted by God..?

Last question? Or if you don’t believe in once saved always save and automatic salivation for everyone..

Then that means people may still lose their salavation after being saved?
    How’s that possible?

Thank you so much Paul.
    Hope you can make this clear to me…
    God bless you.

• Hi Rolando. We all need to repent and put our faith in Jesus, as the Bible says. The Good News is we are already loved and accepted by God, but we need to respond to his love. This is the ministry of reconciliation that Paul preached. “God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them… We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God” (2 Cor 5:19-20). Salvation comes when we call on the name of the Lord, so not everyone is saved. I have written extensively on the eternal security of the believer. You can find relevant articles in the Archives and a list of scriptures on the Resources page. I’m glad you enjoyed the book.

17. Just came across your blog? this morning while studying Heb. 12:6 about scourging, which lead me to reading more.

18. Thank you paul for your articles mostly about confession,i was searching about it and you are a blessing to me,am ken from kenya and i now understand well about Gods grace and forgiveness,am enlightened and countinue on and may God be with you,,shalom