Women Preachers? Where’s that in the Bible?!

I have three daughters. When they get a little older and start drawing the attention of young men, I will give them this piece of timeless advice: Don’t just listen to what he says; watch what he does. A man may say anything, but his actions will always reveal his heart.

This is good to remember when we come to scriptures regarding women in the Bible. For instance, did Paul really believe that women must not teach and that women should remain silent in church?

Many people think he did, and this has given rise to three lies that are harming the church: Women must remain silent, women can’t teach, and women can’t lead.

What did Jesus think? And what about the other apostles? What were their views on women in ministry?

We can debate the meaning of specific scriptures, and we’ll get to 1 Corinthians 14 and 1 Timothy 2 in coming posts. Or we can look at what woman did in the Bible.

Were there women in the Bible who taught, spoke in church, and led men? There were plenty!

• Who were the first two people to recognize the undeserved favor of God revealed in Christ Jesus and get their words recorded in the Bible (which meant they taught the men who wrote it)? Mary and her cousin Elizabeth (Luke 1). Mary became the first preacher of new covenant grace when she declared, “All generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me” (Luke 1:48-49).
  • Who was the first to proclaim the good news of Christ’s resurrection? Mary Magdalene, and notice that she was sent by Jesus to instruct the men (John 20:17).
  • Who was the first to evangelize a Gentile town? The woman at the well (John 4:28). Which means a woman understood the Great Commission before Peter or any of the apostles.
  • Can women prophesy? Sure, just ask Miriam, Deborah, Huldah, Anna, and Philip’s four daughters.
  • Who led the church at Ephesus? Priscilla, along with her husband Aquila. Paul called Priscilla a “fellow worker in Christ” (Rom 16:3). In other words, he considered her his equal, a colleague in Christ. Priscilla also explained the gospel to Apollos (Acts 18:26). So much for women not being able to teach men.
  • Which female apostle did Paul endorse? Junia (Rom 16:7). Paul said she and Andronicus were “outstanding among the apostles.” (Note: Some Bible translators are so bothered by a female apostle that they have turned Junia into Junias and made her a man.)
  • Which two women contended for the gospel at Paul’s side? Euodia and Syntyche (Php 4:2-3). These two ladies are famous for disagreeing; they ought to be famous for preaching alongside Paul.
  • Which women led? Miriam, along with Moses and Aaron, was one of the three leaders of Israel during the Exodus from Egypt (Mic 6:4). Deborah, the prophetess, was a judge of Israel and basically in charge of the army (Judges 5-6). If women could lead under the misogynistic old covenant, they can surely lead under the new, and they did (see Junia, Priscilla, etc.).

If the women listed above had believed the nonsense taught about women in ministry today, none of them would’ve made it into the Bible.

What about Phoebe?

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a servant of the church… for she herself has also been a helper of many, and of myself as well. (Rom 16:1-2)

Ah, good ol’ reliable Phoebe. She gives insecure men a comforting picture of women in leadership. “She’s a deacon, nothing more, and if that’s good enough for Phoebe it ought to be good enough for any woman.”

I confess that as a pastor I spoke about Phoebe the helper far more than I spoke of Junia the apostle or Priscilla the pastor. I was comfortable with Phoebe, but Junia worried me (was she really an apostle? was she a he?), and Priscilla-with-the-pants made me uneasy. (Why was her name always listed before her husbands?)

Thank God I’ve been freed from my insecurities!

Look again at what Paul says of Phoebe. He calls her a helper, but that is a limp translation of his words. It gives us the impression that Phoebe waited on tables or kept the babies quiet while the men preached.

What Paul really said is that Phoebe is a “succourer of many.” The word is derived from prostatis which means a female guardian, protectress, or patroness. Phoebe was literally “a woman set over others.” She was not a waiter but a patron, a leader, a bona fide mother in the church.

(And if you think being a mother is somehow an inferior form of leadership, you haven’t read how Paul described himself in 1 Thessalonians 2:7.)

In the coming articles we will look at the difference between what Paul wrote and what people think Paul wrote about women in the church. But before we consider what Paul said, it is helpful look at what Paul did.

And what Paul did was encourage women to speak and prophesy and lead.

___________

Enjoy this article? Why not sign up to our free email list and we’ll notify you about new articles as soon they come out. No spam, we promise.

Help these messages of hope and grace go further by supporting us via our Patreon page.

76 Comments on Women Preachers? Where’s that in the Bible?!

1. Trying to be popular instead of biblical? For shame. Are you really going to try and tell me that there are no differences in the roles we have to play as men and women? You’re going against hundreds of years of sound teaching and the Bible itself. You’re going against Christ as the head (man) of His church (women). You can joke about it as you have but it doesn’t change truth. I was going to buy your book but no longer. Please unsubscribe me as well. Thanks

• Matt, glad my wife is not yours, to be sure. Paul quoted right out of Sacred Scripture and you still can’t see it? The Head is a position of service, not rulership. Just as Christ, the Head, came to serve and not be served (Matt 20:28), the foundation of Grace. Thus, husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the Church. Rulership doesn’t even come into view here.

• richard elson // October 10, 2017 at 1:54 pm //

Well put.
        Christ loved the church by nurturing her, establishing her, authorizing her, empower her and sacrificing himself for her.
        Husbands are to love their wife as Christ loved the church.
        You need the help of traditional hierarchical church thinking to misunderstand what the role of a husband is to their wife.

• Oh how thankful I am that Christ does not look upon me, or any other woman, with the same eyes as you. How thankful I am to be called worthy by the voice of truth who bestows upon me dreams, influence, and greatness that no man can take! How thankful I am to be a daughter of the most high!

• richard elson // October 10, 2017 at 8:58 am // Reply

Is it scripture or is mans nature that determines our actions?
      Church goers and their leaders supported slavery from the scripture for thousands of years. . .there has to be a message in that somewhere.
      For me, it is obvious that men in general will only surrender any control they possess through force, legislation or humiliation. . .and then. . . after they grant freedom to those who demand it, they actually claim it was their idea all along.
      This has been women’s story over the last 4000 years. Surprisingly, in the last 2000 years since Christ the progress has been painfully slow even amongst those who see themselves as Christians. Ask yourself, and try to answer, why it took 1900 years to allow a women to vote. This surely must be a hint into the controlling nature of men.
      And again.
      It took longer than 1900 years for slavery to be made illegal, and longer still for freedom to be extended to slaves. Do you see a pattern

Men default towards retaining control.
      We offer equality to others like someone who offers peanuts to monkeys. They offer the minimum to get what they want, and to keep the peace, and they always are the holders of the peanuts.
      I hope you will stay around and see if some of your assumptions are supported, or not.
      If we eliminate assumptions we remove ourself from being judgemental.

• We are all one in Christ, there’s no difference, same spirit, same LORD.
      Galatians 3:28 KJV
      There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:11 KJV
      Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

If Paul was actually against women teaching, prophesying or taking up roles in the church, he wouldn’t have talked about this:
      1 Corinthians 11:5 KJV
      But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

• Alison Hudson // October 10, 2017 at 10:53 am // Reply

Poor deluded Matt!
      Your very reaction “unsubscribe me” on the basis of one article shows how closed your mind is . Why don’t you ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you the biblical truth about women in ministry? You could also read Alan Hewitt’s very excellent book The Gender Revolution. He came from a stance like yours originally, studied the relevant scriptures and wrote his book

• Brandon Petrowski // October 10, 2017 at 12:10 pm // Reply

Matt, you are responding both hastily and foolishly. I doubt Paul is concerned over you not buying his book and unsubscribing from the site. He is probably more concerned for where your heart is at in how you reacted. You should try studying the whole Bible in context instead of seeking to make it fit what you’d like to believe. Paul isn’t going against the Bible or sound teaching, and he never said that men and women don’t have different roles. You do not understand headship or leadership, and perhaps not relationship.

• Matt, Paul Ellis isn’t trying to be popular. Look back at your words. You cite experience and tradition and then mention Scripture. Perhaps the teaching over the past hundreds of years was in error. Isn’t that a possibility? I am confident that this has pierced your heart and curiosity and you will most certainly keep checking back on this blog to see how Paul addresses these passages.

• if i remember correctly, works based salvation was based on the bible and was considered sound teaching for hundreds of years as well…
      if our minds have been renewed to understand the truth of the gospel of grace, then perhaps we should be prudent to examine ourselves and be open to the possibility that there might be other teachings that have been misinterpreted as well.

• Colleen Gleason // October 11, 2017 at 2:52 am // Reply

When I began sifting this issue for myself discovered something about the word head. I trust the Strong’s dictionary but not everyone does.(there is my disclaimer). Head in the pasage you are talking about does not mean boss or in charge of. It is the same word used in chief cornerstone describiing Jesus. Going by common useage the cornerstone of a buiding is the foundational piece that supports and by it’s stability shapes the structure which is built upon it. Yes Christ is the head of the church and the husband is head of the wife but not in a boss-follower dynamic.

2. Something else along the same lines is the ‘Proverbs 31 Woman’. She is often held up as the model wife/woman, a nearly impossible ideal for women to live up to, and sadly men preaching her have enslaved women to the ideal. But if you really look at the Proverbs 31 Woman, she is actually just as qualified as men in so many ways, and just as ‘allowed’ to do those things she does, like being a successful business woman et al. And she makes her husband proud – because she is living up to everything that she can possibly be. I think the Proverbs 31 Woman is actually a model of enabling women to come into their full potential – and that includes using their gifting in every area they have such gifting. And if that is speaking in public, leading, preaching, teaching, then so be it.

3. There are some great lady teachers who comment on this site as well.

4. Anthony Howitt // October 10, 2017 at 7:24 am // Reply

It is not so hard I don’t think. In truth Christ is in me (male), Christ is in them (female). Christ in me is neither inferior or superior to Christ in them.
    I might think that you Paul are superior to me. And I suppose in many ways you are. But in the end it’s just Christ in me and Christ in you and we are all one in Christ Jesus.

5. Kathie Bazikian // October 10, 2017 at 7:25 am // Reply

Thank you, thank you, thank you is all I can say. As a woman serving God for 40+ years, you can imagine the things I’ve heard preached and taught. I know the scripture says many things about womens’ place on the church but I have also known many powerful women who are pastors, overseers, prophets, etc and sometimes it has been a point of contention with many people. There are whole denominations who will not allow women to take any position in the church that is above nursery duty, Sunday school teacher or women’s ministry. I am not trying to down anyone but it’s refreshing to hear the Biblical point of view that you have shared. Thanks!

• William MacDonald // October 10, 2017 at 8:01 am // Reply

Our heirachal Church leadership structures are totally unbiblical anyway. So I wouldn’t worry about it!😁

6. William MacDonald // October 10, 2017 at 7:54 am // Reply

Do you see no difference between men and women in the New Testament in regards to roles and functions Paul? just interested.

• I did notice that all the apostles are men. But it doesn’t make a law for me.

• William MacDonald // October 11, 2017 at 6:00 pm //

Yep. Most Christians don’t let the Bible get in the way of what they believe.

• richard elson // October 12, 2017 at 12:21 am //

Most Christians don’t let the Spirit of God get in the way of how they prefer to read their bible.
        We much prefer being led by our cultural bias, bigotry, and of coarse our traditions.

7. Amen and AMEN! Thank you!

8. munondowashe // October 10, 2017 at 8:57 am // Reply

Thank you paul for clearing confusion in the body of Christ. We are all one in Christ no male nor female (Gal 3:28) The same spirit in men is also in women. Before the fall Adam and Eve were both called Adam.(Gen 5:2). Man dominated the woman after the fall but Christ brought restoration. If any man is in Christ he is a new creature. A new creature is neither a female nor a male but the marriage of deity and humanity.

• Very interesting. I never knew that. Something new to me. I read some verses in Genesis 4 and 5 and found you were right.

• richard elson // October 10, 2017 at 12:41 pm // Reply

That’s so good.
      Women where subject to men, not because it was part of Gods plan, but because it was an implication of the law/curse of sin and death.

Christ set us free from the “law of sin and death” and ALL its implications, we now look to the “law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus” and take up our positions in enforcing the terms of the new law.

9. Thank you for posting this message. I don’t care to be a preacher, but I believe God speak to all people if they earnestly seek Him. It’s a shame some refuses to hear.

10. In the end it will be political in relation to what roles women can fullfil in church. Reformists (Calvinists) claim they cant lead or preach. Scripture says otherwise. Male and female followers of CHrist are all part of the priesthood of believers. Scripture must be viewed through the Lens of Christ. If you do that their can only be 1 conclusion…women can lead. teach and preach.

• I believe God chooses whom He wants to lead. Paul said women should keep silent in church. I believe some should indeed do so, but I’ve also heard some men should as well.

• Bonnie the greek more talks about providing a peaceful place to learn within church not silence. Reember the culture was not use to equality for women in church and also some very wealthy women who owned slaves were use to giving orders to people. SO chruch was becoming a place of disagreement

11. Well done Paul . . . New Covenant Theology is what we need to hear . . . and under the New there’s neither man nor woman . . . Blessings !!!

12. Thank you. Just…thank you for speaking on this topic. Thank you for simply being honest and unashamed to point out the names that have been listed but always somehow swept under the rug or squished into the “acceptable” categories and roles that women can hold. I greatly appreciate your admiration and respect for the place you hold for women in ministry.

13. Thanks for confident boldness to proclaim the truth. Dad Hagin (Bro Kenneth E.Hagin for the uninformed brethren), wrote an excellent book on this subject. The Woman question. He was not a Radical Grace preacher, but he did understand the righteousness of the believer, our union with Christ, and New Creation realities.
    Want to really ruffle religious feathers, preach or teach unconditional eternal security, speaking in tongues as a gift available to any who desires it, and women in ministry. You will surely start a big war lol.
    I don’t get the controversy. In Christ there is neither male or female, we are one in Him. He gives gifts to believers. There are women prophets in the Old, so surely if they can hold a ministry office in a Covenant not as good as the New, surely we can have women ministers and preachers/teachers in the New.

• William MacDonald // October 11, 2017 at 1:59 am // Reply

If your really want to start a riot ask where the modern day pastor is to be found in scripture? Nowhere! That’ll rock the religious boat. Don’t do it though unless you’re prepared to have ministry doors shut in your face, left, right and centre 😉!

• Hmmm how about Ephesians 4?! This strange idea that the Pastor isn’t a New Covenant office seems really out there. The office of Pastor was introduced in the New Covenant not in the Old. Be real Bro you sound like the many Church is bad and who needs it crowd.

14. Thank you Paul, that comes at a time when people are arguing vociferously about this issue. It’s good to have some basis on which to discuss the issue!

15. William MacDonald // October 10, 2017 at 7:14 pm // Reply

We can all learn from each other to be sure. And the gifts of the Spirit are available to be used by all.

Regarding biblical leadership (non hierarchical), why did Jesus choose twelve men to lead the early church? Was he politically correct? Or was he aware of something regarding his creation and our complimentary differences?
    Using the verse neither male or female doesn’t quite wash if you seriously think about what the passage is actually referring to, our salvation.
    I am convinced many women will have larger crowns than us men in eternity! My wife for one, putting up with me all these years, God bless her!!!

• Colleen Gleason // October 11, 2017 at 2:55 am // Reply

It could have simply been that had he chosen a woman no one would have listened to him as it was a serious breach of culture for then.

• William MacDonald // October 11, 2017 at 6:07 pm //

Let’s be honest the biblical pattern of leadership is male. There are exceptions. Can God use a woman to lead? Sure, when he cannot find a man to do it! 😁
        Every believer male and female can preach and move in the gifts of the Spirit.

• Colleen Gleason // October 12, 2017 at 1:02 am //

There are many patterns in scripture that we should not emulate. Just because a lifestyle ro cultural pattern exists does not mean it is a have-to or a should. I could point to cultish real life examples of pattern following gone wrong. Patterns vary based on what we expect to see as well. Not saying that you are wrong. It is just that patterns in themselves are not spotless proof of the truthfulness of an idea.

16. Thank You Paul, I realise that many people who quote , “wives submission to the husbands” by using Ephesians 5:22, fail to somehow recognise Ephesians 5:21, which ask both to submit to each other. There is great mystery that is still misunderstood about man and woman. They were created one (Genesis 1:27, 5:2 and Mark 10:6). Woman wasn’t out of man yet, when the dominion blessings was pronounced, so both were asked to dominate the earth. Man was not blessed with dominating woman. The only idea of man “dominating woman ” was a result of the fall. Now how we we claim the benefits of Christ redemption work from the curse of the fall but seek to hold women to the curse of the fall? like i said there seem to be a great mystery about our nature as :” male and female he created them” ….God’s idea of marriage making them one, seem to explain such great mystery (Mark 10:8 Gen 2: 24)

17. Thank you Paul for sharing those great truths. It never fails to amaze me how people seem to loose all sense of reasoning when it comes to equality in the church. In the creation story we have the creation of Adam and within Adam was woman in the form of his rib.Woman was already within man when he was created, therefore she was equal with him. She was then later formed into a body by God . Simple really !!! Roy

18. John Genoese // October 11, 2017 at 5:27 am // Reply

Well said.

19. Why would anyone one wish their spouse/women to live under the law whilst they enjoyed freedom? It was never God’s intention and all the scriptures above prove it. But there’s more! The most popular passage (1Corinthians 14:34-36) used to oppress women is actually Paul’s RESPONSE to a letter the church had written to him and it is called a responser.ie It was usual from rabbis to get such letters and they’d respond by quoting what was said, then answering it. You can see this pattern in those letters when he quotes 1Corinthians 14:34-35. The response is ‘what?’ Even though some try to omit. When you read the entire passage-reading the questions(when Paul quotes them) and his answers…all becomes clear.

20. It is God who saves both men and women (Gal 3:28), and it Him who gives them gifts as He wills for the edification of all (1 Cor. 12:4-9). The greatest qualification for ministry is not gender but divine calling, giftedness, and empowerment.

21. Deborah Gerstner // October 11, 2017 at 10:04 am // Reply

I totally agree with this altogether
    I get upset when women get pushed to the back. So many women do a great job preaching, teaching,Prophesying Laying hands on the sick I believe God gave us all the purpose on this earth to do all these things through Jesus Christ our Savior . We are all vessels to be used in anyway that God sees fit.

22. 1Tim 2. is used to justify male eldership only. …”Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. ..However the Greek construct suggests otherwise. eg Traditionalists translate Hesuchios/Hesuchia as “silence” (at least in passages concerning women), but the word in all other places is translated as “peacefulness” “Peaceable” or “quietness.” The word does not carry the meaning of literal silence or absence of speech, but of an atmosphere or presence in which learning should take place. Second part… nor to have authority over [authentein] a man.. Paul uses the word authentein and it is the ONLY time this word appears in the New Testament. Other uses of authentein then show it does not simply mean legitimate or routine authority, but carries violent, sexual, and dominating meanings. However as the centuries past its meaning was changed eg The Vulgate, from the second to fourth century, translates this verse as “I permit not a woman to teach, neither to domineer over a man. It is not until the 1500s that the verb authentein used in this verse changes from the drastically negatively-charged “to dominate/domineer” to a slightly water-downed phrase, “to usurp authority” (King James). Finally it is not until after World War II that authentein really gets the last alteration “to exercise/assume authority over men. You can draw your own conclusions from this. My view they can teach/preach.

23. Before Adam fell from dominion he was in relationship with God spiritually alive. After he fell from dominion he lost fellowship with God. So when Jesus came on the earth he came where Adam fell from that why he could work miracles etc. So for us to get back where Adam fell from is through Jesus spiritually alive. In christ male and female are on the same level as partners.
    Therefore she also a have a right to be alive spiritually to worship God, and be use By God.

24. If God meant for the women not to teach or preach than only the men in the upper room would have spoken in tongues while the women would have remained silent !

25. Laurence Edgar // October 11, 2017 at 9:12 pm // Reply

I remember some years back visiting an American air base in England and got speaking to a pastor on the base who ministered to the men and women. He told me the story of how during the 2 world war many American soldiers visited the base. One local lady from the district went to the base weekly and ministered the gospel to the soldiers, she led many to the Lord over the years and taught them the word of God, some she met again and many she didn’t. The pastor I was with told me it was because of this ladies ministry during the war on the base was the reason the base still had a ministry, she was the foundation and the work continues to this day. Praise God.
    I shared this story with one of my christian friends in work, I thought it was a great story.
    But I couldn’t believe my friends response. He said ” well that lady was wrong in what she did because the bible tells us women should not teach men” He couldn’t see past what he had been taught instead of rejoicing in souls saved.
    Laurence.

26. Colleen Gleason // October 12, 2017 at 1:10 am // Reply

One thing I have learned in studying early church history is that their gatherings were set up comepletely different than our for hundereds of years. There were no preselected leader that led the gathering. It was informal where many different people contributed based on the Spirit’s leading and the needs of the people for the day. So trying to apply early church rules for order and peace to our modern methods creates problems. I’m still studying and learning.

• William MacDonald // October 17, 2017 at 12:11 pm // Reply

Yes Coleen, as I am sure you will discover there is no biblical support for the single pastor. Leadership was always plural in the New Testament. Ephesians 4:11 does not envisage a pastoral office as so many Christians seem to imagine. Apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers were all functional roles, they were never offices, positions or titles. It is therefore a great error to confuse the modern day pastor with the pastor in Ephesians 4. The contemporary pastoral office is unimaginable to the first century Christian.

• That’s all good in theory, First century church didn’t know how to run a big business.
        Everyone will agree that a well-run church should adopt efficiencies from good business, Jesus said as much when he overturned the money changers tables (Jesus didn’t like the business model).

If you’re going to operate a Jesus franchise it’s important that Pastor and CEO are functionally synonymous, “being good stewards over what we are given”. It’s self-evident that a strong hierarchy needs to be set up, whether male or female, CEO/Pastor/senior executive oversight appointed. Apostle Paul said we need to adapt to the times and circumstances, ”going as a Jew to the Jews and as a Greek to the Greek”. Badges displaying position makes for clearer distribution of responsibility and importance so that everyone can know who the anointed ones are, “let the righteous of the Lord say so”.

A strong sense of hierarchy is needed to keep the church organised, disciplined and controlled, “our Lord is not slack, nor the author of confusion”. Strong leadership is able to tell people what to believe and, ”and keep the sheep safe”. Top down leadership models efficiently enforce the vision of the Pastor, “that, we should all be in one accord and not cause division”.

The plurality model has no clear leader, so who would be the head?

• Richard your post strikes me as being somewhat odd.
        No church is a business!

• I thought Richard’s post was quite accurate. Someone has to oversee or shepherd everything in a church and that includes finances, real estate, salaries, etc. Yes, it should be done by someone who is led by the Spirit, but it doesn’t diminish the responsibility and importance of the position. A church does not run itself. It seems like a lot of people here have been burned by churches in the past. Not all churches are like that. Not all churches are out to exploit you for money, control, etc.

• Paul is correct in his description of the role of women in the bible. God does not discriminate against male or female nor does He limit the roles they can carry out in the ecclesia. The issue really is the historical distortions that have come into the institutional church system over the past 1700 yrs. The first church established by Christ and the apostles was very different to what we have today. It is us who have departed from their simple model of the temple being made of flesh and blood not a building… but rather people who love Christ.

27. Plus Prophesy means more than prophetic flowing in the Greek it means both prophetic flowing AND preaching …

28. William MacDonald // October 12, 2017 at 5:03 am // Reply

It’s not just women who have been oppressed by our religious institutions, what about all the men? Men have been emasculated by professional Christianity and our religious institutions! Taking their place in the pews week after week at an unbiblical Sunday service, having to listen to an unbiblical sermon from usually the same man week after week! What about all those gifts lying dormant in all those believers, men as well as women? It’s a disgrace!! The Sacred Cow of the Sunday service and sermon needs to die!! We need a revival of the Priesthood of all believers, men as well as women. The Sunday service, the church building, the one man running the show (however well intentioned) and the sermon are all stumbling blocks to true body life and the participation of all believers using their gifts for mutual edification! We need meetings not services! Make no mistake about it, men have been just as oppressed by religion! True biblical preaching was never meant to be a monologue by a well polished speaker (yes sermons really are unbiblical)! Our church practices have done great harm to the functioning of the Priesthood of all believers, both men and women.

• Lol, I think you have an excellent point there!!! I disagree if you mean there is something wrong with meeting in Sunday, I think any day is good for meeting, but I agreed with the rest!

I actually clearly heard the gospel in a church that has a preaching team, not a single preacher, not a single pastor and we have a sharing time where the body can share what God has been teaching them. ❤️ It’s not perfect, but I like that aspect.

• In the end you after ask where would Jesus be.Under 4 walls and a roof or out in the community ministering to people heralding the kingdom..on earth as it is in heaven.

• William MacDonald // October 12, 2017 at 5:17 pm //

Nothing wrong with meeting on Sunday. Open participatory meetings is what it is about. The Church building doesn’t lend its self to this very well. Plurality of elders where possible and resisting a big chief (however gifted) is also key! It is great having the Lords Supper as a meal together too, as originally was. Helps give time to build proper relationships and fellowship. It’s not about perfect church, where there are people, there are problems 😉! I include myself in that!!

29. Paul, what do you think of the passages in the epistles regarding deacons and overseers that seem to assume that they are all men?

30. I did a study on the word silent that was used in Timothy and Corinthians. The commentary on this said that the word was misinterpreted and it actually means that the women should be able to worship in silence and not have to contend with all the fighting that was going on in that church. It says that I want men to pray with holy hands lifted up to God, free from anger and controversy. It had nothing to do with women not speaking or teaching.

31. So what DID Paul mean when he said that? It seems so clear cut. By the way I hope you’re correct! Thanks.

• I’ll deal with Paul’s words in the next two posts. The first one will come out next week. Subscribe and you won’t miss it. (Signing up is free and always will be.)

32. 1 Timothy 2:11-15 seems to give controlling men permission to disqualify the “it was just cultural” card offered to explain other scriptures concerning women.
    13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
    14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. seem to trumps the cultural card because it goes back to the beginning.
    It turns out that Paul is answering questions that we are not privy to, these questions are obvious when the history of Ephesus the birth place of Artemaus 500B.C and proto-gnostic thinking around Timothy and Pauls’ time.
    Let’s construct a Gnostic ‘statement of faith’:
    1) That which is physical is evil; spirit is good.
    2) Salvation is by your pure spirit escaping from your vile body. The means of such escape is ‘special knowledge’.
    3) The Old Testament God had created the evil physical world. Hence God himself is evil and a deceiver.
    4) The body is evil and to be treated harshly. But sexual immorality is fine because it breaks the law of the evil creator; marriage however is forbidden.
    5) Creating more vile flesh by having children is evil. Women who give birth will be hindered from entering Gnostic heaven.
    6) Eve is worshipped as a perfect, spirit being, Adam’s creator and, united with the Serpent, the enlightener of mankind with the True Knowledge.
    7) Knowledge of your origins is important to salvation; Eve is the origin of all.
    8) Christ only appeared to have a body.

33. Donna. Little // October 15, 2017 at 7:02 am // Reply

Good to see some positive commentations on the women of the bible. The bible does tell us that, son and daughters will prophesy. I always had a hard time reconciling this with women should remain silent. Thanks for clarifying.

34. Let us all , believers in Christ Jesus , the Body of Christ, the Church, preach Christ crucified 🙌🏽
    We are all one in Christ Jesus, there is neither Jew or Greek, male or female, Rich or poor, bond or free , we are one in Christ Jesus ….. let’s just do what HE called us to do…… 🙌🏽

35. Shon Bruellman // October 17, 2017 at 2:57 am // Reply

I am confused why so many are referring to the ‘there is neither Greek nor Jew, slave nor free, make or female….’ as a basis for supporting female leadership. Do you not realize that to apply it to female pastors is to apply it to those who support homosexual pastors as well? Are we now joining the non gender proponents and are going to start having uni-sex bathrooms in church? After all…”We’re all the same”! Why are so many people threatened to hear that there are differences in men and women, and in the roles that God has equipped each with?

The passage is referring to both men and women as being POSITIONALLY equal in God’s eyes. No second class citizens, no slaves, not inferior, not less in any way. When a child falls and scrapes their knee who do they naturally run to for consolation? We all know that’s momma so do we need to instruct the little tyke that in Christ “mommy and daddy are equal!” so in the future as to not discriminate or hurt the feelings of his father he needs to go to daddy just as often? Good grief. If you want to support and endorse female leadership then fine, that’s not my main point of saying something here. Just be sure to do it from a standpoint that Scripture supports and not take one verse and making it say something that it doesn’t.

36. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are not gender based !

37. God didn’t give men a blue Holy Ghost and women a pink Holy Ghost !

38. William MacDonald // October 18, 2017 at 11:53 pm // Reply

(A response to Richard)
    A good question, Jesus perhaps?